PDA

View Full Version : Prop Advice

Screamin Semen
24-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a Suzuki 40hp with a 11 5/8 × 12"p propeller on it and I am after a little more top end as I am hitting rev limiter.

Which of these props would be the one to buy do you think?

11-1/8" x 13"p
11-1/2" x 13"p

I know there are alot of variables in this but if I was to try one which of the 2 should I try?

Thanks in advance!

SS

hainsofast
24-06-2016, 08:04 AM
call solas mate.

scottar
24-06-2016, 10:54 AM
There is a lot more to props than just the size. Hainsofast has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Have a clear objective in your head to give the people at Solas - do you want more boat speed, do you want better mid range economy or are you simply trying to get your WOT RPM correct. They will also want your current WOT RPM, existing prop size and boat and motor size/model. Also bare in mind that by reducing your WOT rpm with a higher pitch prop, your hole shot will take a bit of a hit - might not be an issue, just something to think about.

Screamin Semen
24-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Cheers for the replies.

What is the difference between those 2 props? What does the 1/2 and 1/8 mean and what do they do differently to each other?

I didn't want to buy a solas prop because it's only a tinny and they are expensive. I was looking at the alloy props on ebay for $160. Might just have to roll the dice.

Cheers,

SS

scottar
24-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Solas do alloy as well. They may have a totally different blade shape. Just as an example compare the BRP Viper and the BRP Rebel. The Rebel prop requires a two inch pitch reduction for the same boat due to a bigger blade and a totally different blade shape and size. If the props you are looking at have a different blade characteristic than what you are already running (size, rake, cup), any new prop from that series will initially be a guess at what it will do unless the manufacturers have some sort of data base as to what has suited what previously. Add to that - you are hitting the rev limiter so you don't have an accurate WOT to work off initially, it's just a guess. That is where people like Solas come in. They have such a data base and if they don't get it quite right, provided you don't ding it, they will swap it until they do. Get it wrong with Ebay, you are buying another. At least worth a phone call.

aussiebasser
24-06-2016, 12:02 PM
The 11 1/8" and 11 1/2" are the diameter of the props, the 13" is the pitch of the prop. The 11 1/2" dia is closer to your current 11 5/8" prop's diameter.

hainsofast
24-06-2016, 01:47 PM
To give you an idea mate, My boat wasn't getting WOT, old mate from solas got me the right prop, and also got me to raise my engine a notch, My boat is grossly overpowered and used to launch the nose up getting out of the hole and I was getting 95 km/hr at around 4900-5000 rpm on yammie saltwater series 2 150, that was a 21 inch genuine yammie prop, new prop I get even better hole shot, but it is flat hole shot (if that makes sense) engine will now reve to 5500 easily, but I can only get 80 - 85 km/hr now, but hey, who needs to go 100km/hr unless you want to race a jetski or chase down a moron gold coast tinny rat. The other thing I learnt from a good mate, is if you are not reaching WOT with current prop, it actually labours your motor more and apparently causes bearing damage (this is what I was told). Yeah the props from solas are dear, but you are paying half for the product and half for the advice and knowledge, and they will continually swap props until you get the right one. Good luck mate.