PDA

View Full Version : Small boat , second time round.

unchainedjenner
21-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I've sold my small punt and motor, I had a 260 punt with a 6hp on it and it wouldn't plane two up, so I sold it in frustration, I even tried a 8hp 2 stroke on it and still no good.

as people mentioned it lacked waterline length, causing me all the dramas.

so I'm looking at replacing it with something else, probably trailer size boat this time, but still small.

so my question is, if I get something between 3 - 3.5mtrs with say a 15hp 2 stroke, will I be able to plane 2 up?

What is the minimum size motor you could run on a boat this size.

Noelm
21-06-2016, 09:47 AM
I had a Quintrex 3.75 with a 15 and it was OK with 2 but, nearly useless with 3 and some general gear, so a 3-3.5 should be OK, as long as you can get one rated for a 15

unchainedjenner
21-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Quintrex 350 explorer or dart is rated for 15hp.

the sales bloke reckons the 15hp will be plenty, but I don't know?

would be a Yamaha 15hp two stroke.

Noelm
21-06-2016, 03:04 PM
A Dart with a 15 would be plenty, pretty light boat.

scottar
21-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Depends on the size of the occupants. My savage 3.5 goes like a rocket one up, cruises happily two up at about 16 knots and will still plane with my wife and son and myself and 12 crab pots running a 15hp Merc (Tohatsu) with a Solas stainless steel Laser Foil. IF you load it with 3 , 100kg plus blokes it might be a stretch though. Compared to what you had though it will be miles ahead.

unchainedjenner
21-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Righto, it will be me (90kg), and the old man (80kg).

which is better, dart or explorer? Fishing in a dam.

it it will never see salt water, so don't need to cut through chop.

also which would be easier to sell down the track? dart or explorer?

Noelm
21-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Probably the Explorer would be my guess, I had one for years, great little boat, I went for a long shaft on mine, just made it deeper where the motor bolts on and stops some water splashing over at times, no big deal, but when buying new, you have the option!

scottar
21-06-2016, 04:30 PM
It doesn't take a heap of chop to make a 3.5 metre barra punt type hull (the savage at least) wet and bumpy. If I had my time again I would have picked the standard V nose but I am in Moreton Bay. If you are doing any work in dams though, this could be worth thinking about. If you aren't worried about that, the barra punt style will typically be a bit more stable. As for easier to sell (in your area), I guess it would depend on the most popular type - sitting at the ramp or asking the local dealer which he sells the most of might be worth a shot.

With that sort of weight you should be all good. Most of my mates and I would be be around those sort of weights (or a wee bit more::)) and I also carry a tiller steered electric, 75aH battery, false floor, s.ounder with a seperate small battery etc.

unchainedjenner
21-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks fellas,

The dart has more beam, and higher sides in the 350 might be the better option, there the same money.

up the creek
21-06-2016, 10:11 PM
if its just a 3-3.5 and just 2 up and some fishing gear it should go good with a 15hp if you get any less then the recomended 15hp on those sizes then you might as well get a smaller tinnie with a smaller motor so it makes sense if the boat your lookin at takes up to a 15 then i would definatley go no lower..

aussiebasser
22-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Please, please check out the price difference between the 3.5 and the 3.75 Dart. I fish out of a Long Shaft 3.75 Dart with a 15 2st Merc in Victoria. Gets along really well two up and is reasonably stable. It will be a better performer than the 3.5 for the same reasons your 2.6 wasn't. The weight and $ difference for a 3.75 will be negligible.

GBC
22-06-2016, 07:51 AM
a 370 traveller would be heaps big enough for any inland waterway (the 350 might be even better). The 370 goes like stink with an old 15 Honda and 2 on board. I run it with a 9.8 tohatsu two up and it still runs fine.

unchainedjenner
22-06-2016, 08:29 AM
The 370 are rated for a 20hp!

aussiebasser
22-06-2016, 09:18 AM
But they don't need the 20hp, unless you load it up with much more weight. You can buy a Commodore with 400kW, but most people are happy with 180 because it does everything the average person needs. If you are looking at the additional cost for another 5hp, you should be looking at the additional cost of a 4 stroke, as the laws and rules will be changing. All new 2 strokes will be gone from the market in a few years and more lakes will be restricted to "low emission" engines. A 370 Traveller could be a little low in the sides for some of the big lakes if the weather turns ugly.

up the creek
26-06-2016, 08:11 PM
the explorer is going to be heaps more stable when moving around the boat which is most important and why people buy them for flat water like dams etc.. there will be less buyers for a flat bottom boat as more fish in open water around coastal cities,, that doesnt make it less value on resale to the guy who wants it for flat water there both worth what condition there in at resale which should be reflective of new price which there worth about the same so id get a punt or v nosed punt for calm water thats what there for so you can move around more stable

Richo1
27-06-2016, 01:56 AM
Explorer is a great boat, had a 3.75m one for 13years took it all over the place.