PDA

View Full Version : fishnet forum?

terryc
20-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Just wondering whats happened to the fishnet forum, seems to have been off the air for quite a while??

Noelm
20-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Fishnet is gone, don't think it will be back, there was a few members who just had to argue and dribble on relentlessly with each other, that it was taken down. I was a member for years, and dropped of because of it.

terryc
20-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks Noel for the update

Andy56
20-06-2016, 01:07 PM
i have been having the same results. I was kicked off because i called out mysoginists and bullies, one in particular. Fortunately they are few in number. Its about proper moderation. Fishnet lost the plot a long time ago. We can all take a joke, but when it goes on and becomes bullying, it becomes a real turn off. The moderator was nowhere to be seen on that sight until i called out a bully. Guess who got the chop, lol. And with no explanation.
being a public forum, it beholds all of us to show a level of respect.
in my short boating experience, everyone is unique and everyone has a different need. One can't be absolute, its got to be horses for courses. If everyone is right, nobody is wrong and we would all be buying the same things. Think i am nuts? Read the thread on tohatsu motors.

inveratta
20-06-2016, 04:08 PM
agree with all the above.......... was a fishnet member for a longtime..stopped following it because it became so pointless ..the good guys slowly left because of the relentless hair splitting keyboard warriors.Still in the end all good... this site seems to manage itself in a much more positive atmosphere..

Cape Crusader
20-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Thanks for asking Terryc and for the other responses. I also wondered what happened, I used to be an active member many years ago but became and occasional lurker. The way the constant bickering was allowed to continue did serve to increase my appreciation of other sites that I visit (including this one). I guess fishnet became a good bad example
Cheers
Rod

tunaticer
20-06-2016, 08:01 PM
It was a forum I was glad to forget about after a while, Sportsfish was similar too.

Noelm
20-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Yeah, Sportsfish just kind of fizzled out naturally, less and less people joining in.

tunaticer
21-06-2016, 07:10 PM
All comes down to the attitudes of both the posters and the moderators.....

bluefin59
21-06-2016, 08:21 PM
I wonder what happened to GAZZA he used to stir them up a bit it was so funny at times... Matt

tunaticer
21-06-2016, 08:34 PM
he is still around on other forums not as noisy anymore tho

Andy56
22-06-2016, 07:03 PM
lucky for us he's not here. You can't take much of that gutter humour and encrypted english he so fondly used.

goona
22-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Their facebook page is saying "IT issue being worked on. Apologies for inconvenience"

Cape Crusader
22-06-2016, 10:43 PM
G'day
I saw that to, but then noticed the date, 2015
Cheers
Rod

goona
22-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Taking a while then. Might be council run

kingcray
23-06-2016, 04:03 PM
lucky for us he's not here. You can't take much of that gutter humour and encrypted english he so fondly used.

i would like to see him back.. this place could do with some livening up

The Black Unicorn
23-06-2016, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=kingcray;1617499]i would like to see him back.. this place could do with some livening up[/QUOTE

He is a moderators alter ego!

Camhawk88
24-06-2016, 09:01 AM
He seemed to get banned a lot if that was the case.

Maybe the mod in question is into self flagellation?

John Buoy
25-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Has nothing to do with bitchering Forum was handed over to a new owner as far as im aware.

Noelm
25-06-2016, 11:56 AM
OH, didn't know that?

BM
25-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Rewording post.

Andy56
25-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Its an issue when the people who run the show run out of steam.
And these forums do taker a lot of resources and dedication to run smoothly.

BM
25-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Hi guys,

I was a prominent member of Fishnet (Baysidemarine) and know the whole story of the demise of the site. 2 weeks ago I was making enquiries with the owners looking to take it over and restore it to its former glory. They haven't come back to me and I didn't expect they would, unfortunately. It was an icon of it's time and as important to Victorians as Ausfish is to Qlders.

Bad stuff occurred internally and was poorly handled. It is sad to see it end. I'll try again to see if the owners want to hand it over to be rebuilt.

The site is gone. A deal was underway with a company to redevelop the site (site revamp was posted as a sticky on the site late 2015) but something went wrong. The site was originally the brainchild of Steve (surname not posted) and he was very passionate about it. In my view over the years the people looking after it when Steve took a lesser role were not overly interested in the site or more particularly the forum section as it required a lot of time to administer and the feeling was that the site would be just as profitable and functional without the forums. I do not now and never shared that view because without the forums (difficult as they can be to administer) the users would not be there and hence the page hits would not be there and subsequently the advertising would not be there either.

It is my view that the lack of interest in the forums/failing to see how important the forums were, was what lead to the ultimate demise. Corruption and possible illegal behaviour of a senior moderator unfortunately were never properly investigated.

I loved the Fishnet site (along with Ausfish and MrFisho). I would like to see it brought back and modernised and am attempting to achieve that.

Cheers

Lovey80
25-06-2016, 08:35 PM
I think this is a big opportunity for Ausfish to embrace our Victorian brothers and sisters. Maybe a Victorian specific forum?

Andy56
25-06-2016, 10:49 PM
dont need a victorian specific forum, just a well run ausfish will do.

gofishin
26-06-2016, 08:21 AM
I think this is a big opportunity for Ausfish to embrace our Victorian brothers and sisters. Maybe a Victorian specific forum?

If so I can see a lot of bans coming up Lovey, some of those guys were just sh!t stirrers and Trolls.

Although I do agree it would be good to get a lot more activity back on here (it is pretty dead compared to the old days), just not sure we want some of those guys on here [emoji1][emoji1].
Cheers
Brendon

Lovey80
26-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Just throwing it out there. After all this is Ausfish after all.

Cape Crusader
26-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Goodness me, I am south australia and didn't realise this forum was for queenslanders
ooops
Cheers
Rod

Shawn 66
27-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Goodness me, I am south australia and didn't realise this forum was for queenslanders
ooops
Cheers

Rod
Dont worry mate. I am a Newsouthwelshman living in Queensland, so they must let anyone in.
😀😀😀😀😀😀
Shawn

Mike Delisser
27-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Just add a squid section to the forum

John Buoy
28-06-2016, 08:04 AM
If so I can see a lot of bans coming up Lovey, some of those guys were just sh!t stirrers and Trolls.

Brendon
Umm think you'll find the best trolls there were Welshies lol

Mike Delisser
28-06-2016, 04:22 PM

I thought he just like sticking it up the obvious BS artists and Figjams.

Andy56
28-06-2016, 06:02 PM
yes, he was so innovative . We had to learn "his " language to make any sense of it. I actually experimented on him. I set up a dud argument to see if he was determined to have the last say. I gave up in the end because I was right.:D8-):D::).

Shawn 66
28-06-2016, 06:19 PM
yes, he was so innovative . We had to learn "his " language to make any sense of it. I actually experimented on him. I set up a dud argument to see if he was determined to have the last say. I gave up in the end because I was right.:D8-):D::).
I am trying to work out if this statement tells us more about you or him.
Shawn

bluefin59
28-06-2016, 07:05 PM

You aren't still going on about Gazza are you ? I miss his warped sense of humour and how he would get a rise out of some who thought they new everything . Matt

Bring back GAZZA , I think he was banned here as well a shame really ...Matt

Noelm
28-06-2016, 07:14 PM
I am lucky enough to remember Fishnet when it was a buzz of activity (kind of like here about a year or so ago) some members gave time and effort in big doses, a few nit wits came and went, which is pretty normal, but slowly and surely, less and less people could be bothered sifting through the snide comments and a few would just gang up on unsuspecting posters, the incident BM alluded to was particularly nasty, and supposedly quite unlawful, the nitty gritty of which I am not fully informed on, from there it just went down the toilet with about 4-5 members that would simply argue for the sake of being dicks!

BM
28-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Hi Noel,

Yes the illegal element was when Mod1 accessed my account and sent very abusive PM's from my account to Mod2. I lost access to my account at that point. Mod2 became a friend of mine from his tireless efforts in attempting to deal with the bully brigade, lead by one particular person. Mod1, I assume was attempting to sabotage the connection between Mod2 and myself and initially succeeded but the damage was quickly corrected. At the request of Fishnet admin I did not involve the police in relation to the account hacking. An error in judgement on my part, attempting to support the site. Mod1 was friends with the key antagonist member who resides in Corowa, NSW.

BM
28-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Mod1 had a public username of MickSA aka Mick Brennan, a bus driver in South Australia.

gofishin
28-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Umm think you'll find the best trolls there were Welshies lol

Pardon my ignorance JB but what is a 'Welshy'? N.S. Welshman I assume???
Cheers

Lovey80
28-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Just add a squid section to the forum

Do the Mexicans like their Squidin?

Lovey80
28-06-2016, 11:11 PM
BM I am glad to see you back on the Ausfish pages. Lots of informative posts over the years.

BM
28-06-2016, 11:21 PM
BM I am glad to see you back on the Ausfish pages. Lots of informative posts over the years.

Thanks mate. It took a long time!! Turbulent years! I do appreciate it bud!

Noelm
29-06-2016, 07:04 AM
What the whole forum thing involves is pretty simple, people giving free help, people have a public stoush about all sorts of things, that if remain civil, is good for information, people have become good friends on forums, some have parted ways too, we have all posted things that in hindsight probably would not have, but that's life, deal with it, and move on, as long as it wasn't overly hurtful or derogatory, sometimes a simple PM or public apology sets things back on an even keel.

John Buoy
29-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Pardon my ignorance JB but what is a 'Welshy'? N.S. Welshman I assume???
Cheers
Lol sorry mate a welshy in Oz is a New South Welshman ;D

John Buoy
29-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I believe there is a bit more to BM story which i wont go on about But i must add as a "Little Rexy" award winner of the fishnet site for my contribution
it is a very sad day when guys like myself Nick (BM) Noelm who contributed tirelessly to those in need of assistance in fishing n boating more so boating only to be shot down
by cyber idiots. Facebook also has a lot to answer for in the loss of forum activity.

Jarrah Jack
29-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I won't say much about fishnet except to say some very sad and bad things happened there at one stage.

What the forum style has that fb can't do because of the format is the archives. You only have to do an advanced search to gather vast knowledge on any boating subject for instance. People get quickly sick of answering the same question over and over again on fb. How do I repair a scratch in my gelcoat....?

BM
29-06-2016, 08:44 PM
I believe there is a bit more to BM story which i wont go on

Oh yes! There was a whole lot more that one could write a book about!!!

I think if Fishnet was run like Ausfish or MrFisho it would still be alive today (ie: proactive management/ownership and strict no d#$khead policy). Also I agree that Facebook has taken a lot of people from the forums but I think in time they will return as the FB versions are quite restrictive and not as community based as the forum sites.

inveratta
29-06-2016, 08:55 PM
guys..lets this thread die...ausfish is not a forum for where that site failed...leave it behind..breathe the free air

Gon Fishun
30-06-2016, 09:16 AM
guys..lets this thread die...ausfish is not a forum for where that site failed...leave it behind..breathe the free air

Why? This is a forum where all things fishing plus more can be discussed, debated and talked about by a group of like minded people.

Steeler
30-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Gazza was a flea in the ear quite a bit no doubt about it. He was also a poorly connected flea.

I think most people with half a brain in there nogg'n knew most of what Gazz had too say was tongue in cheek , whilst other got there jollies and much needed attention from being outright nasty and personal :-X;)

Gon Fishun
30-06-2016, 09:25 PM
I won't say much about fishnet except to say some very sad and bad things happened there at one stage.

What the forum style has that fb can't do because of the format is the archives. You only have to do an advanced search to gather vast knowledge on any boating subject for instance. People get quickly sick of answering the same question over and over again on fb. How do I repair a scratch in my gelcoat....?

Been meaning to ask you, how do you repair a scratch in gelcoat. :iloveyou::hammer::laola::laola:

scottar
30-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Been meaning to ask you, how do you repair a scratch in gelcoat. :iloveyou::hammer::laola::laola:

Yeah - this bloke needs to know

shaungonemad
01-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Yeah - this bloke needs to know

That's a big whoops.

Noelm
14-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Looks like Sydney Angler has fallen into the same black hole....it's gooone too!

EdBerg
14-07-2016, 09:37 PM
I think Fishing Monthly may also be disappearing, just logged on and only 2 new post showing, most of the posts are really old now.

DaveR
15-07-2016, 04:39 AM
Looks like Sydney Angler has fallen into the same black hole....it's gooone too!

I believe they had similar issues last year with not renewing their server contract on time (or similar) and it was resolved in a couple of days. I assumed it was the same issue this time, but it's been down for at least a week now, maybe it's not coming back.

Andy56
17-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Steeler, I have been on the receiving end of such tripe before and I can tell you from experience, It becomes bullying. Its a never ending power game. Some people get their jollies this way and some people can laugh. But for the recipients, its no joke. Sure we all start saying to ourselves, I can take it, It will wear off etc, but it doesn't. I also learned the hard way, you can't play an expert at his own game.
I mentioned it was getting into bullying territory and I got the flick. No site needs people like that.

We are here to learn and meet great people with the occasional gag going down great.

Lets keep it that way.

stevet
31-07-2016, 08:12 PM

Sydney Angler is back up .

Stats

deckie
03-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Steeler, I have been on the receiving end of such tripe before and I can tell you from experience, It becomes bullying. Its a never ending power game. Some people get their jollies this way and some people can laugh. But for the recipients, its no joke. Sure we all start saying to ourselves, I can take it, It will wear off etc, but it doesn't. I also learned the hard way, you can't play an expert at his own game.
I mentioned it was getting into bullying territory and I got the flick. No site needs people like that.

We are here to learn and meet great people with the occasional gag going down great.

Lets keep it that way.

Equally detrimental were those who acted like princesses and never once realised many of the old timers on the forum knew each other or had met at torunaments etc. Many were/are mates and enjoyed the fun. Some just assume they sign up to a fishing/boating forum and should only be exposed to what they want, such as factual information from experienced boaties...and have no understanding nor desire to join a community or tolerate the banter.

Fisho;s tend to talk a lot of shit. It can be a release from the daily drudgery or escape from homelife responsibilities for a short time....and when you get 10 minutes who the hell wants to waste it.

The very notion of any adult being bullied on a simple fishing forum is somewhat pathetic. We are anonymous unless we CHOOSE not to be. If someone does not like you or vice versa you can IGNORE them quite easily. If you are tired f seeing some sort of catfight you can put them all on ignore. If that rules out most members there is no one telling you that you simply must log in to that forum.

You don't like it...go somewhere else.
It isn't difficult to do.
If you want to stay because part of it is good...IGNORE the rest of it you don't like.

Just like in real life, it our choice as to where we go, who we see, and what we say on the net. With the myriad of options open to everyone with multiple net forums, as well as the ability to simply avoid, disregard, ignore etc added to the innate knowledge that you are anonymous, it is difficult to even comprehend how or why any grown up could feel somehow "bullied".

If anyone wants some form of clinical information source they can read a book. Forums have multitudes of personailities that come together. Some clashes of personality occur but to this day I have never met anyone who has had a gun held to their head saying you MUST visit an internet site.

If you don't like an atmosphere, or the people in a forum...DONT VISIT IT.

Some good fisho';s and knowledgeable folk on the Fishnet forum...as there are here. If you see a spat it is only words. It is all of our choice whether we even care about other peoples words.
My feeling is that if anyone in here has reached 21years old and cannot cope with mere words, whilst being anonymous, and having the ability to ignore....then maybe the problem lies with them and they are so fascinated they cant help but watch...and of course WHINGE.

I will miss the snapper rack banter and discussions. Some funny stuff between guys who you could sense knew each other and just liked throwing pebbles around to relax...yet the odd new member would take everything seriously of course. Point being...its only an internet forum and when there is no need to take things seriously...DONT.

PixieAU
03-08-2016, 05:35 PM
I think you made your point in the first two paragraphs.

Dignity
03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
I think you made your point in the first two paragraphs.

Banter is fine but when a thread gets hijacked to the extent that the main thread is only a portion of the discussion I usually turn off for a couple of weeks, ( I think I just agreed with Deckie on a point or two)as has happened a few times, once it was getting to the stage where it wasn't worth following any threads apart from the first three posts. FB and instagram certainly has taken a lot of traffic from this site and others but this is still one of the better sites for advice and obviously friendship, I have some very good personal friends originally met on here.

All I'm saying is have some banter but keep on topic, save the crap for SMS if your mates and want to sledge each other.

Hanging out for Dislikes 😈

Andy56
04-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Thankyou Dixie for pinpointing the problem. Its the victim's fault.

in an ideal world , everything you say could be construde as reasonable, unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. A lot of people stumble through life oblivious to the carnage left behind. We are better off with those people not hogging the limelight is what I Am saying. I never said they should be silenced. They need to be moderated, nothing more nothing less.

BM
06-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Agree with you Andy56. 100%. And the bullying gets real. And it spills over into real life. That's why one member ended up with an AVO against him but unfortunately he was only doing the bidding of the ring leader who escaped such. Karma has befallen the ring leader though it seems. Call it karma or sewing/reaping but what you put out comes back to bite.

MickSA
11-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Hi Noel,

Yes the illegal element was when Mod1 accessed my account and sent very abusive PM's from my account to Mod2. I lost access to my account at that point. Mod2 became a friend of mine from his tireless efforts in attempting to deal with the bully brigade, lead by one particular person. Mod1, I assume was attempting to sabotage the connection between Mod2 and myself and initially succeeded but the damage was quickly corrected. At the request of Fishnet admin I did not involve the police in relation to the account hacking. An error in judgement on my part, attempting to support the site. Mod1 was friends with the key antagonist member who resides in Corowa, NSW.

Is that a fact? You were a BANNED user Nicholas Hubbard BANNED user who continually caused trouble for admin staff by continually logging in time after time with new email addresses and user names. You threatened many many users for catching you out over the solomon island affairs? Ring a bell?

FACT!!

I was as sorry to see fishnet go as anyone, i and frank saunders poured our heart and soul into that place. there was no under handedness at all. You were the reason the site no longer exsists. Thanks for the opportunity to reply however. Good bye.

Noelm
12-02-2017, 05:30 AM
Jesus, where did that come from??

Steeler
12-02-2017, 11:43 AM
I would like to think nobody throws about other users real names on a forum.

Steeler
12-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Does calling a fellow forum user a moron constitute bullying ?.

John Buoy
12-02-2017, 12:29 PM
As they say sooner or later the truth will be known. you cant hide IP's

Mr__Bean
12-02-2017, 01:23 PM
For goodness sake let all that shit rest.

Dont bring it over here.

Darren

Jarrah Jack
12-02-2017, 01:59 PM

South Australia

Seahuff
12-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Jaygeee and his goats, he was a unit !!

bluefin59
12-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Gazza and Doug where pretty funny as well

inveratta
13-02-2017, 08:49 AM
For goodness sake let all that shit rest.

Dont bring it over here.

Darren
absolutelyagree........just lock the thread...its now pointless.

BigE
13-02-2017, 06:57 PM

BigE

Leonida
04-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Is that a fact? You were a BANNED user Nicholas Hubbard BANNED user who continually caused trouble for admin staff by continually logging in time after time with new email addresses and user names. You threatened many many users for catching you out over the solomon island affairs? Ring a bell?

FACT!!

I was as sorry to see fishnet go as anyone, i and frank saunders poured our heart and soul into that place. there was no under handedness at all. You were the reason the site no longer exsists. Thanks for the opportunity to reply however. Good bye.

you gotta be kidding Mick SA Bus driver, you hacked my account and sent me messages as such, and heckled me via my own account . you are to blame for everything ,you sad sad sick man .

... Regards you f face,
Cookie

BM
16-04-2017, 09:50 PM

FACT!!

Wow!!

I have not been around for a little while and just stumbled across this. Thankyou Cookie for your accurate and truthful response.

MICKSA, I am very happy if you desire, to lay out all the facts and all the names of those involved in the demise of Fishnet. A site I tried to resurrect after they decided to close it down but they were not interested. Yep my name is Nicholas Hubbard and I stand by my name and my efforts. It should be noted that I was a site award winner (Little Rexy Award). That does not factor well with being banned does it? Surely to moderate individuals that requires a degree of sceptical scrutiny and as to the origin of said bans!

I note you mention Frank in line with yourself in terms of heart and soul however the line of alliance gets drawn definitively at the point where you hacked into my account as head moderator (Mod1) and sent him abusive pm's (as Mod2) from my user account. (I have the email proof of this if you wish to challenge as do other site members). I requested David push for criminal charges against you. I should have pursued that myself.

However, karma has a way of finding its own way to punish the wicked AND/OR prosper the unfairly treated.

I attempted to save Fishnet and to rebuild it to where it once stood as the leader of the Fishing Forums (no offense Ausfish Steve!) but it didn't happen.

If karma has not already befallen you MickSA its only a matter of time. I note karma has struck those that were immediately close to you in your criminal behaviour. A jail cell is where you belong for what is best described as criminal behaviour.

EdBerg
17-04-2017, 10:46 PM
As they say sooner or later the truth will be known. you cant hide IP's

Actually it is very easy to hide IP numbers, I connect to the internet through a VPN and at any given moment there are probably 50 to a couple of hundred or thousands plus users using the same shared IP number, only the IP to your internet provider is traceable but not by the end user/connection, once that original IP to the ISP connects to the VPN, that one disappears and a new one replaces it and that number is the IP number that every one else sees, that is the shared one so not traceable to the source user, that new IP is only traceable just to the VPN provider only.

.....just saying!

skifalls
18-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Actually it is very easy to hide IP numbers, I connect to the internet through a VPN and at any given moment there are probably 50 to a couple of hundred or thousands plus users using the same shared IP number, only the IP to your internet provider is traceable but not by the end user/connection, once that original IP to the ISP connects to the VPN, that one disappears and a new one replaces it and that number is the IP number that every one else sees, that is the shared one so not traceable to the source user, that new IP is only traceable just to the VPN provider only.

.....just saying!

Not quite true, just because your using a VPN does mean your ip address is hidden. Standard practice for 'nasty' people is to use Russian, Dutch proxies and VPN to hide their activities.

They can and do get tracked, just takes longer and requires more resources.

Anyone can be tracked with enough time, skill and resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdBerg
19-04-2017, 07:09 AM
I agree, but not by someone without the resources, a hell of a lot more resources and time than the average forumite user has at their disposal.

VPN's/proxies are not just for "nasty people", I use one just out of principle. My web browsing habits are my own business and I do not wish to have anyone knowing what sites I visit or do on the internet just so the government or ISP's can sell off that data for marketing, or start keeping a tab on me for security or other purposes, or just because some search word triggers some sort of scrutiny.

If for example I wanted to find out how to make explosives or how binary bombs work just out of curiosity, that doesn't make me a terrorist and I do not feel I need to explain or justify my actions to any government dept., either just because I did a search on the web, and yes if anyone wants to or feels the need to track what I do on the internet, they can go right ahead and waste valuable resources doing so for stuff all benefit, but I am not going to make it easy for them to do it.

It's about privacy, that is why we all have curtains on our windows or a bit like sending a post card to someone. I put those in an envelope so only the intended recipient will read it, yes it is possible for someone in the postal service to open it and read it but I am not going to openly display it.

This is getting a bit off topic but I was just stating that it is easy to hide your IP address and just 'cause someone on a forum managed to look up an IP address doesn't mean that it is actually the right one.

Noelm
19-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Sounds like you are paranoid about "people" knowing what you are doing, I don't care if some government spies look at what I have been browsing, nothing to hide, nothing to worry about is my thoughts.

fishing111
19-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Pretty condescending comment noelm. Aren't we just the model citizen. If I knew how to block everyone off I would out of principle alone as stated. My business is my business. I understand the powers that be have to be on the look out for rock spiders and the like though.

However, that said, who said it's just government spies? Have you never heard of internet crime, accessing people's bank accounts and personal information for gain and countless other reasons people access your computer?

Sometimes Noelm i think your back in primary school looking for a gold star of the teacher with some of your comments. Paranoid in this day and age...i think your kidding yourself.

Noelm
19-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Not trying to be condescending at all, and I can assure you, having worked in high level IT for over 20 years, I am well aware of Internet crime, it's just MY opinion/belief that I don't care who can see what I have been doing on my everyday Internet activity, some people might, and that's their choice, but, I have nothing to hide or fear.

Dirtyfuzz
19-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Sounds like an Ausfish.onion site is required[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Noelm
19-04-2017, 10:00 AM
I guess I should add, people "accessing" your computer is a different thing altogether, don't be confused with that.

EdBerg
19-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you are paranoid about "people" knowing what you are doing, I don't care if some government spies look at what I have been browsing, nothing to hide, nothing to worry about is my thoughts.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that is fine, I am not paranoid in the true sense of the word, but I am not ignorant or delusional either and as I stated below, these things are happening as we speak and so I know for a fact that in this day and age your internet surfing has a dollar value and everyone is trying to cache in on getting a slice. As for the government and security forces watching everything we do and say, that also is happening and has been for a many years. Just count how many cameras are watching your every move, in the city streets, stores, parks etc., "Big Brother" and Echelon is alive and thriving...To deny this is happening is to bury your head in the sand, and whilst I may not be able to stop this from happening, I am not going to make it easier for anyone to spy on me even if I don't have anything to hide.

So I assume that you don't have curtains in your house/unit and you wouldn't mind if some was watching you 24/7 with binoculars through the window or installed spy cameras in your house without your consent? After all "you have nothing to hide", which is one of the lamest excuses out. The surveillance is happening but it is just not in your face and most people are pretty clueless.

The fiction novel by George Orwell - 1984 whilst late is rapidly coming to be fact.

Now if you believe that the governments have your best interests at heart... well as I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don't be surprised if one day soon you will wake up to find that most of your freedoms and rights have been stripped away even if you didn't do anything wrong. Governments are supposed to work for us and in our best interests and not the other way around.... maybe I am delusional? ::) Yeah right!!! Each to their own.. Have a nice day!

Noelm
19-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I have learnt a long time ago that arguing opinions on an open Internet forum is a waste of time, however, I think someone installing spy cameras in your house is rather far removed than being able to see what people have been browsing on the Internet, it's people's own options what steps they take to secure their premises, Internet use, personal data/details, or even if they have curtains in their house, enough said.

Mike Delisser
19-04-2017, 02:36 PM
I've know a couple of guys who were super protective of their on line privacy and use VPN's to cover their movements. One was a guy I worked with once and the other was my auto electrician. They both ended up in prison for kiddy porn.

skifalls
19-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Yep, I'll agree with you there that not everyone is nasty and some people can and do use for legitimate purposes, they include spying government collecting metadata. The reality is I used to be one of those having worked in IT now for 22 years, this includes Entperprise security, now I find those technologies too dispirited or annoying, it no just easier to not use them, I don't get calls from the wife saying a Netflix doesn't work ;-)

So... happy to stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gon Fishun
19-04-2017, 03:36 PM
So the Tooth Fairy and Unicorns are real.

EdBerg
19-04-2017, 05:38 PM
I have learnt a long time ago that arguing opinions on an open Internet forum is a waste of time, .

I agree on that except I wasn't arguing, I was only having a discussion on how IP's identifications are easily bypassed, as to cameras in the houses, well they already have the means and I have heard that they can and do already spy on individuals. Your devices such as smart TV's, laptops, phones etc, all have cameras and microphones which can be activated without the owner being aware.There have been reports that certain people have been spied upon and if someone can then they will. It's only a matter of when it will become broad scale. I forget who it was now but one of the large companies, might have been Google or Facebook got into regulatory strife for doing just that.

Even my smart TV when I bought it came with about 40 pages of conditions that you had to agree before it would connect to the internet, one of the conditions was that you had to agree to let the TV capture images and voices recordings before activation. Needless to say I didn't agree and I still don't connect to the web through it. Microsoft when it brought out Windows 10 openly stated that it would sift through your computer, your emails etc. (also in the User agreement) and on sell the gathered data for "advertising purposes" and report any suspicious images of potential child porn. I do not condone child porn but when did it become OK for Microsoft to become law enforcement without a court order or justification, at best it is invasion of privacy!.

So it is a bit of a mute point regarding cameras and microphones in your house.. too late, it's done, and you have given the means and permission to do so. It is being done in a subtle and secretive way but it is happening!

Think about it!

RayLamp
19-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I like boats.

bluefin59
19-04-2017, 08:39 PM
No wonder fishnet closed ,too much bulldust . Matt

blacklab
20-04-2017, 04:06 PM
No wonder fishnet closed ,too much bulldust . Matt
Totally agree !!!
Its amazing, with the mere mention of the word " fishnet" old gripes just have to be aired !!!!
I was a member there, got a ban for calling someone an oxygen thief ! just wanted the vindictive crap to stop !!!
Sounds as though there was some terrible under the table crap that happened and some people were very badly done by,
But, its gone now and hopefully it doesn't rear its ugly head again,,,,,,anywhere
I can be a arrogant son of a B@@ch my self sometimes, or so my wife tells me, but life's to short, I try to put myself in check and just take in the good parts.
There's always someone that needs good information or questions answered, including me, unfortunately there's also people that know the answers, but wont
for various reasons contribute, but choose to inflate their internet ego rather than contributing !!!!! wait a minute, that sounds like a place I used to work at !!
Such is life sometimes unfortunately. Hopefully that fishnet saga never rears its ugly head here, or indeed people check themselves should the evil inside dare to rear its ugly head...........
Life's just to damn short guys
And far to many boats to tinker with and fish to catch..............
regards
C

Vromme
22-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Such a shame it went down, there was some great content there.

I just dont get ppl who persist on arguing in internet forums. Most of the shitfights start with basic/general disagreements and then go down hill.
Make your point then let it go.

Whoever gets involved with insults immediately loses any credibility.

Quote Neil deGrasse Tyson
“If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both sides are wrong”
or in the case of a forum - 2 replies.

Lovey80
22-04-2017, 06:45 PM
I think we need to learn from Fishnet's mistakes, let that old dog lie and focus on making this forum as great a cooperative among rec fishos as possible.

I want to see more content from southerners. Especially reports and photos from places like Sydney, Victoria and South Australia. Those Arno bay snapper are always welcome in the reports section ;)

Noelm
22-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Can't say that I have ever posted a report, never really thought anyone would be interested in southern "stuff"

Ducksnutz
22-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Noelm, as a long time lurker, first time poster, I would love to see some reports from you.
i've learnt a hell of a lot from blokes like yourself and other long time ausfisho's and reckon this site is the only one that doesn't have the crap that others have had.
I'd love to see some of the former AF members return like Finga, pinhead, grand marlin and others who were a bloody wealth of knowledge and funny as shit.

Lovey80
23-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Can't say that I have ever posted a report, never really thought anyone would be interested in southern "stuff"

Noelm, you'd have to be one of the most respected member of this forum. Your boating knowledge is second to few. It stands to reason that you're approaching the 10% of the 90% on the fishing side.

My biggest disappointment of this forum is there used to be a solid handful of those 10% fishos that posted regularly. I've learned so much from them and still feel I'm still in my infantcy knowelege wise. Yet a few badgered them over semantics and now they don't bother. It's such a huge waste to see 90% fishos badgering 10% fishos over crap like, how they hold a fish, or .......blah blah.

We, me, Australian Rec Angling as a whole need those blokes and a few of those ladies, back here and posting.