PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs ($300 Vs $1000)

NAGG
13-06-2016, 07:21 AM
OK - I've watched the videos & read a mountain of stuff on trim tabs ...... clearly they work - that part I'm confident with :thumbsup:

The part that I'm trying to get my head around is why I need to pay $1000 (give or take) for a hydraulic system when I can pay 1/3rd of that for a set of smart tabs ?.

I certainly can see how there can be advantages of a hydraulic system .... but is it worth it ? The Bennetts look well made & robust.
What is the build quality of the Nauticus Smart tabs like ..... will they last ?

The boat is a 5m side console - so a benefit would be gained to level out the ride plus the lift . Has anyone added them to a small alloy boat ?

Appreciate your comments

Chris

chocolatemoose
13-06-2016, 08:54 AM
ive put smartabs on a few polycrafts and they have worked well. no problems at all. the oldest set would be 8 years old and still going fine,.

but to go actuated "lenco, bennets, lectrotab" or blade "zipwake, ql" gives you trim on the fly. they allow just for a more convenient trim system . at a cost
bennets are very smooth "being hydro". but if you want simplicity. look elsewhere.

NAGG
13-06-2016, 10:01 AM
ive put smartabs on a few polycrafts and they have worked well. no problems at all. the oldest set would be 8 years old and still going fine,.

but to go actuated "lenco, bennets, lectrotab" or blade "zipwake, ql" gives you trim on the fly. they allow just for a more convenient trim system . at a cost
bennets are very smooth "being hydro". but if you want simplicity. look elsewhere.

Yep being able to adjust on the fly is the big plus with the actuated types - no need to readjust manually if weight or balance changed.
The Bennetts do seem pretty good - but as you said ... at a cost

Is it it a case of you get what you pay for ? or are the Smart tabs a good enough design without the flexibility ?

Chris

tropicrows
13-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I can't see the point of having trim tabs that can't be adjusted on the fly. If you have ever been in a boat with them, then you will know why adjustable trim tabs are so valuable.

FisHard
13-06-2016, 02:12 PM
I can't see the point of having trim tabs that can't be adjusted on the fly. If you have ever been in a boat with them, then you will know why adjustable trim tabs are so valuable.
Totally agree, particularly the first sentence . In fact, the inability to adjust on the move would be quite dangerous in certain circumstances I would imagine.

NAGG
13-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Totally agree, particularly the first sentence . In fact, the inability to adjust on the move would be quite dangerous in certain circumstances I would imagine.

the nautitcus smart tabs self compensate (apparently) thats why they are called smart tabs (I guess)

scottar
13-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Depends what you are trying to achieve. If all you want is a planing aid to compensate for a heavy outboard then smart tabs should do all that is required. If you wish to compensate for the side console format when one up or a loading condition or try to get one side of your boat a little higher into the breeze to cut down on spray then a proper tab system of one format or another will be required.

NAGG
13-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Depends what you are trying to achieve. If all you want is a planing aid to compensate for a heavy outboard then smart tabs should do all that is required. If you wish to compensate for the side console format when one up or a loading condition or try to get one side of your boat a little higher into the breeze to cut down on spray then a proper tab system of one format or another will be required.

that's certainly what I was thinking

Chris

tropicrows
13-06-2016, 05:42 PM
the nautitcus smart tabs self compensate (apparently) thats why they are called smart tabs (I guess)
From what I can gather they only up or down depending on the water pressure against then. You can't push the bow down or adjust the lift to the port or starboard while on the fly. There only smart tabs in name only in Imo.

hungry6
13-06-2016, 08:04 PM
What about voice command trim tabs?
Mine came with names, Chris and Jamie. Dont really know if You would call them smart trim tabs.

scottar
13-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Only dramas is they don't always do what you tell them and the bloody things get in the way when you are trying to fish.

snatchy
13-06-2016, 09:05 PM
What about voice command trim tabs?
Mine came with names, Chris and Jamie. Dont really know if You would call them smart trim tabs.
Gold!

The $1000 tabs do a lot more than the $300 tabs. I would recommend getting adjustable ones and enjoy the superior ride they can give your boat.
Don't forget that fitting either set to a transom will take about the same amount of effort.

NAGG
14-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Gold!

The $1000 tabs do a lot more than the $300 tabs. I would recommend getting adjustable ones and enjoy the superior ride they can give your boat.
Don't forget that fitting either set to a transom will take about the same amount of effort.

At the transom yes ! ..... fitting pumps & controllers ..... more again - but that's neither here nor there in the scheme of things ..... it's an investment I guess

I had a look yesterday to see what would be involved with fitting the hydraulic system - it's a fair bit of work .

Chris

scottar
14-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Personally Chris I think the electric actuators have the runs on the board now. Even Bennett have started producing them. If you are concerned about longevity, Lectrotab have a lifetime actuator warranty - that's why I chose them. Lot less stuff to find spots for than hydraulic and having seen what typically happens to autopilot and trim motors down the back end of fishing boats wasn't interested in having a pump down there.

NAGG
14-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Personally Chris I think the electric actuators have the runs on the board now. Even Bennett have started producing them. If you are concerned about longevity, Lectrotab have a lifetime actuator warranty - that's why I chose them. Lot less stuff to find spots for than hydraulic and having seen what typically happens to autopilot and trim motors down the back end of fishing boats wasn't interested in having a pump down there.

I haven't really looked at the electric ones ..... but it sounds like I should

Chris

aussiebasser
14-06-2016, 08:00 AM
An email to Col at info@seajayboats.com.au (info@seajayboats.com.au) would probably answer all your concerns. I'd personally be looking at weight distribution of the deep cycle batteries before I screwed any more dissimilar metals to my tinnie, especially below the water line.

scottar
14-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Specifically for ally boats

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Lectrotab-Aluminium-Plate-Trim-Tab-Kits.html

NAGG
14-06-2016, 11:23 AM
An email to Col at info@seajayboats.com.au (info@seajayboats.com.au) would probably answer all your concerns. I'd personally be looking at weight distribution of the deep cycle batteries before I screwed any more dissimilar metals to my tinnie, especially below the water line.

Thanks Dale

I've already moved the 200amp auxiliary battery back & slightly to port which has made a difference already ...... I'm now going to see how she runs with the new 100 Yammi on the back ...... I'm also adding a second (house ) battery on the port side. Water testing should be this weekend.

I'm with you though - I'm not liking the idea of drilling lots of holes into the transom ...... & I'm far from making a decision if I even should .

Chris

Tim_N
14-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Chris,
I wouldn't discount the True Tracker Plate from Solas.
I couldn't go down the trim tab route but this little add on has made a massive difference, and it cost bugger all.
Tim

aussiebasser
14-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Once you get the 100 horses going at WOT there won't be enough hull in the water to list. You may need an SE Sport 300 on it to lift the bum a bit.

Crunchy
14-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks Dale

I've already moved the 200amp auxiliary battery back & slightly to port which has made a difference already ...... I'm now going to see how she runs with the new 100 Yammi on the back ...... I'm also adding a second (house ) battery on the port side. Water testing should be this weekend.

I'm with you though - I'm not liking the idea of drilling lots of holes into the transom ...... & I'm far from making a decision if I even should .

Chris

Ohhhhh look at you two getting along, warms my heart!

NAGG
14-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Once you get the 100 horses going at WOT there won't be enough hull in the water to list. You may need an SE Sport 300 on it to lift the bum a bit.

That's what I'm counting on ...... but it's the lower speeds & what it does in a swell that is the biggest concern - I plan to do a few bar crossings & that is where all this stems from (HP upgrade , re-balancing the boat ). specially at a place like South West Rocks were it can get quite messy & I want to know that the boat will respond as I need it to

I'll see what happens with the new donk

Chris

inveratta
14-06-2016, 06:52 PM
sorry come late to this post.....I put the smart tabs on my haines 565 after talking to someone else who put them on his...Have had them on for three years now...I didnt like the idea of plates on the motor and these were the next cheapest solution on offer....I have found they act suprisingly well...keeps the bow down and I havent had the wind lean either.Trick seems to be to get the downforce adjusted right..it is adjusted by the hole selected.Im sure the more expensive tabs have more durability and flexibility through operator input....the smart tabs are plastic but are set and forget.. its the actuator that responds variably.Its a simple idea that works...I reckon you Qld folks do a lot of offshore travel..and yes Id be getting a more robust system for that..but inshore travel these arent a bad option...horses for courses...

Danf
15-06-2016, 06:02 PM
sorry come late to this post.....I put the smart tabs on my haines 565 after talking to someone else who put them on his...Have had them on for three years now...I didnt like the idea of plates on the motor and these were the next cheapest solution on offer....I have found they act suprisingly well...keeps the bow down and I havent had the wind lean either.Trick seems to be to get the downforce adjusted right..it is adjusted by the hole selected.Im sure the more expensive tabs have more durability and flexibility through operator input....the smart tabs are plastic but are set and forget.. its the actuator that responds variably.Its a simple idea that works...I reckon you Qld folks do a lot of offshore travel..and yes Id be getting a more robust system for that..but inshore travel these arent a bad option...horses for courses...

I fitted a set of hydraulic trim tabs on my 565 Haines back in the late 80's. They did make a difference, especially when the boat wanted to lean to one side when the wind blew that way. They were aluminium tabs with plastic cylinders. I eventually machined a new set of cylinders out of 316 ss, as the plastic ones got smashed when driving the boat pretty hard and coming off waves.

ozscott
25-07-2016, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't go back to no tabs in a boat over about 4m with a few people on board especially. I fitted Bennett hydraulic tabs myself about 7 years ago and they were easy to fit and never missed a beat. They transform the boat. The ability to compensate for strong wind to keep the V where it should be and to adjust for people and gear that can't be better located is worth its weight in gold. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dignity
25-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Nagg I hope you resolve your issue but if you do eventually get hydraulic or electric trim tabs don't settle for the standard switches supplied but get an inicator type, they add to the cost but are definitely worth it.

ozscott
25-07-2016, 10:08 PM
I have never had those indicators. I do it by feel and when I stop I reset them to the full up position but they might be handy. One more thing to look at though. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NAGG
25-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Nagg I hope you resolve your issue but if you do eventually get hydraulic or electric trim tabs don't settle for the standard switches supplied but get an inicator type, they add to the cost but are definitely worth it.

Thanks for the reply

Now with the new 100 yammi - I've definitely got to do something to reduce the porpoising at mid revs ....... hence why I added a SE400 foil ( the no drill type)

113632 I get to test it over 3 days later this week ..... so fingers crossed that this is the right solution

Chris