PDA

View Full Version : Break down at sea/VMR Tow home

barra_cuda81
30-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I unfortunately had my first (and hopefully last) experience of breaking down out at sea (30km out) yesterday and having to call VMR Gladstone for assistance/tow in. They were fantastic and thank god for being a VMR member as it happened to be free as the Call out+fuel cost cost came in just under $500. Got towed home by their Cat at 24knts!
Anyway what happened was that I was cruising along at 4200rpm when all of a sudden the low oil light, check motor light and warning buzzer came on and the motor dropped straight to 600rpm. Switched motor off and lifted cowl to find oil sprayed everywhere. Oil filter was tight and couldn't find any busted hoses. Oil was dead low. Motor is 2013 Suzuki 175hp with only 160 hours! Devastated! Any idea what could've let go to lose so much oil in a short period of time? It is getting looked at tomorrow. Hopefully it's not anything serious.
Thomo

Moonlighter
30-05-2016, 08:40 PM
My money is on the oil filter gasket, especially if the filter was not a genuine Suzuki marine filter.

If not the gasket, then a split in the filter itself.

Make sure they show you the oil filter when they take it off.

Noelm
31-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Yep, split oil filters are pretty common on all brands if non genuine filters are used, if it's not the filter or gasket, there is not too many places for oil to leak out, oil pressure switch maybe?

lethal098
31-05-2016, 12:18 PM
How big is your boat?
24 knots is dam fast for towing
we average 17-19 knots as any faster and the pressure it puts on the tow shackle and line not to mention your boat is too much.

barra_cuda81
31-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Lethal- I have a Haines 580sf so it's not a huge/heavy boat. When we got back to the ramp one of the guys said that it helped that I had a good planing hull that tracked extremely good. Conditions were also favourable.
In regards to the culprit for the oil loss, I can confirm it was a split oil filter casing (on a non suzuki replacement part which was put on by previous owner). Genuine suzuki filter now in place. Fingers crossed no more breakdowns at sea.

Noelm
31-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Regardless of how many people try to tell you, non genuine filters are the same, it's just not true, I really have no idea what the difference is, but, I personally have seen 3 non genuine ones split, and heard first hand of twice that many.

Moonlighter
31-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Yep, know of several first hand reports of the same thing.

They either split, or, some non-genuine filters have a different lip which can cause the body of the filter to bottom out on the engine before the mating surface between the gasket and the engine is properly tight. So it feels like the filter is on tight, but it isnt. Add pressure and vibration, and whoosh, the filter unwinds itself and .......

All to save a few bucks once a year.

Anyway, the good thing is that the engine goes into safe mode very quickly, so a clean up, oil change and a new OEM oil filter and you will be away.

Thanks for reporting back on the cause.

rtp1984
31-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Good result really.
Engine protection done its job.
VMR membership, worth every cent.
Simple fix of outboard, that won't put dought in your mind about future trips.
As far as breakdowns go, sounds like thins was a good one.

So so did you get any fish?

BigE
31-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Never needed the VMR , but good work by the VMR team... worth every cent and then some.

BigE

barra_cuda81
31-05-2016, 09:01 PM
No fish rtp1984. Happened on the way out and were only 3km from one of my red marks! We had the anchor out and fishing over sand waiting for the tow!
Yep VMR membership is worth every cent. I'm also looking at getting one for 1770 as well.

drpete
01-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I rang the VMR at 1770 and enquired about joining. I spoke to a very helpful woman who basically said that joining there is more like a goodwill donation.
Even members get no discount on long tows. Just because of the nature of the type of fishing and rescues that need to be done up there. Even the close reefs are twenty odd kms out. It's understandable I suppose.

KEMEL K
01-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Check your insurance policy. Some insurers cover for break down/towing as part of your policy. Can save on v.m.r. registrations if you boat out ofmutiple ports. I give to them by way of supporting there raffles fishind comps etc. They all do great work.

ozynorts
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Yep VMR membership is worth every cent. I'm also looking at getting one for 1770 as well.

I rang the VMR at 1770 and enquired about joining. I spoke to a very helpful woman who basically said that joining there is more like a goodwill donation.
Even members get no discount on long tows. Just because of the nature of the type of fishing and rescues that need to be done up there. Even the close reefs are twenty odd kms out. It's understandable I suppose.

We also don't have the membership numbers to cover the costs like some of the bigger VMR bases. There is an option to pay a little extra and get some of the cost covered but in reality a tow back from the reef is going to hurt the hip pocket, but then again it is better than rowing back..... :)

Noelm
01-06-2016, 02:11 PM
While I don't begrudge the rescue organizations trying to redeem their costs, our Marine Rescue is entirely free, most offer a donation if resources are used, our rescue outfits rely on fund raising, local sponsorships and things like that, I know a couple of the volunteers and they take a pretty dim view of anyone towed in that does not offer some sort of reasonable amount to cover costs, and believe me, lots don't!

Moonlighter
01-06-2016, 02:41 PM
I am a member if our local VMR Raby Bay, $60 per year and membership gets you (copied from their website):

On-Water AssistanceWe provide a professional service to the boating and island public 365 days a year. For an annual subscription of $60.00 you will be entitled to:

Up to two hours of On-Water Assistance per year, currently valued at $320.00.
Refunds for assistance from any other Queensland VMR unit including the Coastguard.
Seven day, twenty-four hour emergency rescue coverage.
Reduced rates for Marine Radio, navigation and First-Aid courses held at our Raby Bay base.

Cape Crusader
01-06-2016, 03:31 PM
G'day
Interesting topic
I've never been towed in and it seems unlikely but I thought I'd look at the what the ESL pays for here in SA and it includes Volunteer Marine Rescue. Not sure if that's a generic term as there is also the SA Coastguard and another one I can't remember. Also not sure if the VMR (generic) charge or expect payment and to what extent the ESL funds those services?
I think WA has an ESL not sure about the rest?
Cheers
Rod

solaris
01-06-2016, 05:10 PM
If you are not prepaired to pay for a tow (the amount asked for) if you require assistance you should not be on the water period. Why should some else be responsible for either your bad luck or in many cases neglect. The more grubs that refuse to pay or negotiate a lower price the more chance we have of not having a the service if we need it.

We happy to have paid the $850 for a 65 km tow back to mooloolbar a couple of years back.

Cape Crusader
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
G'day Solaris
I think that was directed at me?
Anyway, just thinking out loud, the theory of the ESL is that we are taxed to pay for the emergency services. If your house catches fire, you need rescuing from a car crash, a tree falls on your house and require SES, you don't pay for any of these service because it's paid for by the levy. VMR services are funded by the levy in SA. I don't know if they charge, but in the unlikely event I need a tow, I'll pay without complaint, at least something to show thanks for the volunteers, even if they don't charge.
Different states seem to have different funding mechanisms
Cheers
Rod
PS I found the answer to the 'who's included in VMR thing
http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/site/volunteer_marine_rescue/vmr_association_locations.jsp

Gon Fishun
01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
If you are not prepaired to pay for a tow (the amount asked for) if you require assistance you should not be on the water period. Why should some else be responsible for either your bad luck or in many cases neglect. The more grubs that refuse to pay or negotiate a lower price the more chance we have of not having a the service if we need it.

We happy to have paid the $850 for a 65 km tow back to mooloolbar a couple of years back.

Some of us "Grubs" don't have $100 bills dripping out our arses.

scottar
01-06-2016, 07:02 PM
VMR membership apart from other benefits is just like any other form of insurance or RAC coverage. My personal feeling is that the VMR or similar should be able to bill for a tow to recover costs if the towee is not a member - try getting a free tow from a land based tow service provider (good luck with that) just because you have broken down or run out of fuel. If you don't want to take the punt with your luck - take out a membership (for well less than your typical offshore rig will burn in a day out). Pretty simple really.

Gon Fishun
01-06-2016, 07:48 PM
I'm proud to be a member of the Bribie VMR. Good bunch of people.

Gimme5
01-06-2016, 09:00 PM
As I understand it, VMR Raby Bay only operates on weekends and public holidays from 6 to 6. What happens if you need assistance during the week or outside these hours?
I am a member if our local VMR Raby Bay, $60 per year and membership gets you (copied from their website):

On-Water Assistance

We provide a professional service to the boating and island public 365 days a year. For an annual subscription of $60.00 you will be entitled to:

Up to two hours of On-Water Assistance per year, currently valued at $320.00.
Refunds for assistance from any other Queensland VMR unit including the Coastguard.
Seven day, twenty-four hour emergency rescue coverage.
Reduced rates for Marine Radio, navigation and First-Aid courses held at our Raby Bay base.

scottar
01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
They are on call as required - just might take time for them to organize a crew. Saw them turn up to a breakdown at Cleveland last week on Wednesday. Not sure whether they monitor their own radio room during the week though.

ric
01-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Some of us "Grubs" don't have $100 bills dripping out our arses.
So who should fork out for your rescue?

Gon Fishun
01-06-2016, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=ric;1616229]So who should fork out for your rescue?[/QU OTE]

Pretty quick to jump in with ya shit. I pay VMR if you read the thread. Anyway mind ya own business.

ric
01-06-2016, 10:22 PM

Pretty quick to jump in with ya shit. I pay VMR if you read the thread. Anyway mind ya own business.
No need to get all moist.. Was just a question.

rtp1984
01-06-2016, 10:59 PM

in ric's defence..
you made your business, public business.

Almako
02-06-2016, 07:03 AM
A while back many years ago me, my misses and another couple had issues with many cracks in the transom and we had lost all electronics on board, including the bulge pump etc. The only thing that worked was the motor. Now this was a brand new boat about a month old and on top of this I was a new skipper at the time so my boating confidence then was poor.
VMR were called to Moreton by a number of other boats that morning and we just happened to also radio them whilst they were in the area. We asked if we could follow them back as we didn't need a tow but didn't have any navigational equipment etc.

So the two girls jumped on board VMR, we followed and they towed back a centre console that had been swomped over night.

Unknown to me when we got back to shore they pressured my misses to cough up roughly $800 bucks for the trip back, and the grub who actually got a tow walked away without paying a cent (wasn't even asked). My wife feeling like she had no choice but to pay up as they were pretty nasty about it said yes (it would't surprise me they would be nasty abut it as they were rude to deal with and treated us like idiots).

In a way we were glad for their services and happy to pay but on the other hand they lost my respect as they were rude and belittling to us.

At end of the day it was the boat manufacturers issues not anything i had done, and I back charged the manufacturer and they paid for it. :)

It's amazing that you can sail a yacht thousands of miles out to sea and get picked up by chopper for free but go 20k offshore and the cost is all yours...... I guess the issue is that there are so many idiots that do head out with un seaworthy boats that effects us who have sea worthy boats but just run into trouble.

I'm torn between which side to take though believe that out of all the taxes we pay for everything the VMR's should be government subsidised or even fully funded.

I best go buy that VMR membership I've been promising to pay but have let slip....

CORRECTION To the above it wasn't VMR it was Coast Guard, and it was $500..

Noelm
02-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Maybe Police should do the towing, they are fully paid and funded, and they could then check why you needed the tow, and possibly issue a hefty fine if it was neglect or easily preventable.

Gon Fishun
02-06-2016, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Gon Fishun;1616230]

in ric's defence..
you made your business, public business.

#### me ! Another Mrs Sharples.

rtp1984
02-06-2016, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=rtp1984;1616235]

#### me ! Another Mrs Sharples.

Ahh, come on.
Mind your own business would you...

Cape Crusader
02-06-2016, 01:55 PM
G'day
Not a good experience Almako, but at least you got back safely with them available for peace of mind
Noel, though there is merit in using the police as a tow service, overall it's not an efficient use of that resource. I'm sure they would help out if the circumstances required it.
I'm tempting fate saying words like unlikely, I should know better.
A 50ft + boat went down off Yorke Peninsula a few years ago, one of the crew documented the circumstances, pretty scarey, the boat was really well maintained but something gave way and the crew had to jump ship and only the bow was left showing.
All rescued, but just an example of even a very safe feeling boat can experience disaster
I think I'm actually writing my own state of mind back on track ;)
Cheers
Rod

lethal098
02-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Good luck getting the police to tow you,
if you are in trouble, they will take you and your passengers off the boat,
They dont care about property, its only lives they worry about.
And generally the Water Police are understaffed, Brisbane Especially,
pay up your $70 per year and know you are protected,
Some Memberships dont have limitations on towing distances or how many times you can use the service.

solaris
02-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Cape Crusader,
My post was not aimed at you or any other contributor to this thread. I was told by the crew that towed us back that it was common for people to be towed back and then refuse point blank to pay anything or worse still promise to return in an hour or 2 and never show. My Grub comment was aimed at freeloaders.
Regards
Craig

ericcs
02-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Last year, my nephew broke down out at the FADS of Stradbroke. The water police came out to him to make sure he was safe, towed him in closer to shore to safely anchor, and Raby Bay came out after and did the tow from there at their going rate for non members!

Almako
03-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Thanks to this thread I've re-joined VMR Raby Bay. Just another insurance I guess. Cheers.

fisho64
05-06-2016, 03:09 AM
It's amazing that you can sail a yacht thousands of miles out to sea and get picked up by chopper for free but go 20k offshore and the cost is all yours...... I guess the issue is that there are so many idiots that do head out with un seaworthy boats that effects us who have sea worthy boats but just run into trouble.

the thing you have not understood in this scenario, is that while it certainly is "free" to be picked up by a chopper if your life is in danger whether 20 meters or 200 miles out to sea.
What isn't "free" is the rescue of your property.
No different to a car, where they will cut you out of your car but wont tow your car away for free and fix it.
They do it, and you pay for it with insurance or whatever in an accident.