PDA

View Full Version : True Tracker Plate

Tim_N
30-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Hi All,

I just thought I'd share an experience with you.

I have a Haines Signature 532F which I have purchased 6 months ago, and in that time, I have replaced the floor, stringers and transom.

The boat was a really schmick rig, but it was 20 years old so the fiberglass work was no big surprise, and I know that the rig is rock soild and even stronger than when she was a newbie.

When I had the new transom put in, I had a boarding ladder put on the port side along with the live bait pick up, and on the starboard side went the Furuno transducer.

So, no room for trim tabs.

This rig came with a 2005 Yamaha F115 with only 76 hours on it, so when the floor was out, the fuel system was totally clean, along with the injectors, VST etc, so I really know what I've got and it has made me more confident in the new outfit.

My old rig, a Fisher, was a faithful servant for 15 years and i was totally confident in her, and I wanted this same belief, especially when I was 30km to sea and it turned nasty.

The Haines Signature is a fantastic boat, but she likes to run at speed, and maybe she is a little bum heavy, so when the going gets rough and you're working in the 3200 to 3800 rpm range, she can be bow high and bang a bit too much for such a pedigree hull.

But no room for trim tabs.

The Yamaha came with a standard Yammie 19" prop and a SE300 foil, and it was still not right.Great on flat water and went like a scalded cat, but.....

I rang Shane and Steve at Solas and they sent me one of their stainless 17" props and this allowed the boat to never fall off the plane, even at really low revs. It made a whole lot of difference, but it still rode nose up.

So, back onto Steve to pick his brain again, He suggested a True Tracker Plate. I told him it already had a SE300, and while he thought they were good, the True Trackers were better.

Yes, I was a little apprehensive, but Steve does know his stuff, so I ordered one.

My old Fisher sported a Permatrim its entire life and that transformed the platey into a weapon.

When the True Tracker turned up the following day, I was even more apprehensive, it looked much smaller than a Permatrrim, was cast, not plate, it had these 2 fins under it and was attached by bolting to the underside of the cav plate, but I bolted it on regardless, then took the rig for a spin off Bribie.

WOW!

New boat! It rides so nose down now, it reminds me of my old skiing days. The True Tracker has made a good boat soooooo much better.

Thanks Steve and Shane at Solas, 2 thumbs up to you and your business. They really know their stuff, and I highly recommend them.

If anyone is contemplating trim tabs or if you're not happy with your boats rough water capabilities, try a True Tracker Plate. It's as cheap as chips, only $149 plus some shipping and is a good starting point and if doesn't work for you, you haven't dome a heap of money.

Tim