PDA

View Full Version : grind/polishing stainless??

inveratta
24-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I have to bring up a smallish piece of 316 stainless angle 75x75x6x450 to form a mounting bracket .As it currently unpolished, I thought Id muck around a bit on a spare bit and try to polish it up so it wasnt too odd looking on the boat.After a bit of experimentation a 120 grit flap certainly brings it up although there are a few marks left ....Im not looking necessarily for a mirror finish but anyone got an idea on bringing this to an even finish from here?

Looked through the search but most of that was about restoring already bright ss steel.

Owen
24-05-2016, 06:39 PM
You need a sisal mop and a stitch mop along with some polish bars
You can get them to fit a drill but a tapered spindle on a bench or angle grinder is best.
Be sure to get the right thread and left/right thread depending on what it's going on.
Most 5" or bigger grinders are m14 right hand.
Bench grinders can be m14, 5/8" etc and are left hand one side and fight the other
Bunnings had some kits last time I was there.
Use the sisal mop first (looks like it has rope in it) along with the brown/grey medium greasy polish.
Once all sanding marks are gone, switch to the stitch mop with the white polish
This will give you a high shine.
A soft cloth with some English whiting powder takes off any residue. This might be harder to get unless you go to an abrasives company. Talc would do it.

A metal polisher would use a loose leaf mop for the final polish but it's up to you how much you want to spend.

An abrasives company would be your cheapest option, but Bunnings may be convenient.

Owen
24-05-2016, 07:05 PM
This is the process but using a drill is not real good as you have to put a fair bit of pressure on it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AvWDejfDp0

inveratta
24-05-2016, 07:54 PM
This is the process but using a drill is not real good as you have to put a fair bit of pressure on it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AvWDejfDp0

thanks Owen..lots of info there..as you know Im an amateur here just looking for an outcome thats achievable...worked with 316/304 stainless all my career but never really learned this side of it...thanks

Though Ive always been a bit wary of Bunnings stuff ..cheap but NQR

Owen
24-05-2016, 08:02 PM
The Josco branded stuff at Bunnings is fine. It's just retail packaged so you'll pay a bit more than buying from an abrasives company

scottar
24-05-2016, 08:02 PM
I've got a bunnings polishing kit like the one in the video. Seems to work ok.