PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu 50 TLDI oiling Plugs

Willdoe
23-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Have a 2 year old oil injected Tohatsu that oils the plugs when trolling. I thought with oil injection the amount of oil used was reduced as revs go down. Is there an adjustment that can be done.

STUIE63
23-05-2016, 07:51 PM
What oil are you using. Some oils burn cleaner than others

Willdoe
23-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Only ever run Optimax DFI semi synthetic. Was recommended by the dealer.

Moonlighter
24-05-2016, 12:24 PM
There is, i think, an oil setting that is changed after the initial run-in period to reduce the amount of oil injected back to normal. Possibly it hasnt been reset or somehow got changed back to run-in mode. Not sure if it changes automatically or has to be done by the dealer.

A phone call to your dealer would be advisable.

Willdoe
02-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Moonlighter -Thanks for the info, have booked it in to Neptune Springwood.

up the creek
10-06-2016, 12:04 AM
try everything suggested and get your oiling of the plugs down.. but ill add i read similar posts ages ago and was looking at around 30hp outboard to buy and was told by 1 dealer yeah tohatsu do that in small engine go a yamaha then told by another yeah yamaha do that buy a mercury and as said if it can be made better try everything suggested and my last honest answer by 1 experienced honest dealer was at the end of the day all lower hp 2 strokes at trolling/low revs will oil up a bit.. makes sense really there not burning much fuel and will obviously oil a little at troll/low rev just the way a small oiled outboard works i spose

foghorn
10-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Mate, I have the same outboard only it us a 2007 model, no problems at all, maybee you should change plugs.

Willdoe
14-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Had it serviced on Friday. They reset a couple of fault codes & advised the after run-in oil adjustment (mentioned by Moonlighter) is automatic. Told us how to manually reset the throttle position for the computer and advised against using the advance lever to rev the motor in neutral. Son gave it a 20 min trolling test on Saturday and had no trouble. Guess time will tell if problem is solved.

scottar
14-06-2016, 08:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned, all 2 strokes will oil the plugs - the only difference is just how long it takes them to do it and to what extent. My old VRO OMC motor used to do it - could troll for a couple of hours - until you touched the throttle for whatever reason and then it would cough, stall and carry on unless you gave it a squirt to burn off the oil. My little merchatsu is the same. My E-Tec isn't as temperamental but I can definitely feel a stumble as the plugs clear after lengthy periods of use at idle speed. I have heard one other report from a workmate that purchased a 90 Tohatsu of oiling the plugs to the point replacement was required - dealer told him to wait until after the run in period before worrying too much as it wasn't uncommon. How many hours have you done in the 2 years?

Moonlighter
14-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Sounds like good advice.

I must say that in the 5 years I had my TLDI90, I rarely if ever touched the neutral throttle lever, you simply dont need to give those EFi motors any throttle to start them and there is rarely any good reason to rev them up much in neutral.

When i had mine it was good old Valvoline semi-synth 2 stroke oil that was the official Tohatsu recommendation. Never had any issues with plugs fouling.

Coontakinta
24-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Sounds like good advice.

I must say that in the 5 years I had my TLDI90, I rarely if ever touched the neutral throttle lever, you simply dont need to give those EFi motors any throttle to start them and there is rarely any good reason to rev them up much in neutral.

When i had mine it was good old Valvoline semi-synth 2 stroke oil that was the official Tohatsu recommendation. Never had any issues with plugs fouling.

I concur, but in my case, I NEVER touched the neutral throttle lever. Never had the need from hot or cold starts.

Noelm
24-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say up the creek......