PDA

View Full Version : how often do you replace your battery?

rexaway123
22-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Just curious how often people replace battery on their boats??

I run twin batteries for twin motors but they now 5 years old and have never been run flat.

Boat is used every 2-3 weeks

I would rather replace them before waiting for them to blow a cell on me considering I spend most of my time fishing out of sight of land

cheers

Noelm
22-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I just rlace mine when it is shagged, to me, they are not a regular replacement item, batteries can go for years and years, or die in 3-4 years, one thing is certain, the moment you have to fool around with chargers and stuff, it's replacement time, a good battery does not need charging every day.

scottar
22-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Agree with Noel but I carry a jump pack and can apparently pull start my engine anyway (at least that's what the internet says) . I do charge mine every so often to allow for the stereo drawing a small amount of current but only every month or so though if the boat hasn't been used. I have heard of guys changing one battery out of a dual set up every couple of years so that at least one battery is never more than 2 years old.

Chimo
22-05-2016, 04:40 PM
8 to 10 yrs, and just put 3 new ones in. One
I took out is still Ok. One was older than 10 yrs and still started the motor but load testing showed it was not a keeper.

bluefin59
22-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Unbelievable as it seems but my 04 build bluefin predator has twin batteries that are still original , I have been through more floors than batteries . Matt

Cape Crusader
22-05-2016, 05:26 PM
G'day
It's not a bad idea to take them to your local battery store every 12 months once they have a few years of service. Make sure they are fully charged then left for 24 hours, then take them and ask for a load test. This should give you a good gauge of their health
Cheers
Rod

Noelm
22-05-2016, 05:40 PM
While I agree a load test is good, for some reason, modern batteries just seem to crap out, old type batteries used to get "sluggish" for a while, but these days, one day there're good, next day dead as....I just had exactly this yesterday, and about a year ago in the Landcruiser, started the car (battery about 3 years old) drove it about 10Ks went into the shop, came out and everything was dead, not suspecting the battery, I messed around looking at fuses, cleaned the battery terminals, still nothing at all, out of desperation I tried some jumper leads on the guys car parked next to me, sure enough, all good, got home, tested again, dead, measured no load voltage, about 3V, just like my boat battery, all good 3 days ago, yesterday, stuffed, luckily is was the battery that runs the lights, because I wanted to have the deck light on to put some stuff in the boat before daylight, light didn't even come on!

gr hilly
22-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Ihave a little solar charger that i clip on at home so the battery never loses charge they do help battery life.
Hilly.

goona
22-05-2016, 07:33 PM
I run twin batteries and have just replaced them after 7 years as one died and I dint wan tot run the risk of just getting one. The other one still seems fine and will use is with another one to run the engel when we do our weekly trip.

Flex
22-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Depends what size motors you have and what brand.

most EFI 4 strokes need external 12v to run.
if they are large non pull start outboards I'd be changing them more often. If you could pull start them then you can afford to leave them longer and run them both off one battery if needed.

I think most etecs don't need a battery to run as well as tohatu?

why not run a 3rd house battery/backup?

airlock
22-05-2016, 11:37 PM
well i'm on my 3rd this year, there were a few teething problems.

Feral
23-05-2016, 06:58 AM
5 years old? Not deep cycle? (assuming not if they're starting batteries)
Good time to change them out. Given good service, change them before you get stuck.

rexaway123
23-05-2016, 07:07 AM
correct starting batteries only

NAGG
23-05-2016, 07:28 AM
It's an interesting topic - "should you replace a battery before it dies ?"

I think there is a lot that comes into play - from the quality of the batteries , battery type , how often they are used & how much , draw down - maintenance (if required). .... blah blah blah & even then they still can drop a cell. :(

You'll hear all types of responses however

Prevention is always going to be the best option as you don't really want to be sitting miles offshore or up some remote creek & the battery is mega years old (not unless you carry a jump pack) .

So for me - Quality batteries are a must (certainly for a cranker) The Optima (blue) spiral wound batteries are hard to beat ( hold their charge extremely well & are robust .... no acid to worry about) , Time to replace (3-4 years) That's about $100-$130 / year of boating & peace of mind. ..... I'm sure you'll find a use for used high quality batteries (eg my original 2 Absorbed Power AGMs .... spent 4 years running the leccy & 5 years powering my Engel on trips ( 1 died at 9 years... the other is fast approaching 11).
Finally it's maintenance ..... If you are using the boat every few weeks then there shouldn't be an issue - particularly with a battery like the Optima . other than that a multistage charger with a float phase is a good investment .

Or you can just wait for your battery to die :-? I know I learned the hard way (twice)

Chris

Dignity
23-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Had a battery fail load test with only 38 days of warranty, took it back to battery world and they replaced it, nothing like good service. Also have the blue optima 4 years old and going strong.

Out-Station
23-05-2016, 09:55 PM
I run twin cranking types on separate start / house circuits system. Load test every outboard service and I swap them over so they both get their fair share of the low draw house job to which they are least suited as crankers. I find the one on the house circuit at the time is buggered at about 5 years. I replace both and get another 12 or 18 months out of the remaining one in the ute. I probably should get a better suited type to run on the house side, never got around to it as I just try and cram as much cca as I can get into the battery boxes.

Scott

Chimo
24-05-2016, 06:31 AM
Hi Scott

Try these to do both.

Cheers
Chimo

NAGG
24-05-2016, 08:41 AM
I run twin cranking types on separate start / house circuits system. Load test every outboard service and I swap them over so they both get their fair share of the low draw house job to which they are least suited as crankers. I find the one on the house circuit at the time is buggered at about 5 years. I replace both and get another 12 or 18 months out of the remaining one in the ute. I probably should get a better suited type to run on the house side, never got around to it as I just try and cram as much cca as I can get into the battery boxes.

Scott

Scott

That's the beauty of the Optima blue (D31M) - they are a duel role battery (900cca & 75 amp ) - spiral wound technology is really awesome for boating .

Chris

PS - I have no association with Optima batteries ...... I just want to share what is genuinely a first rate product

Crunchy
24-05-2016, 10:30 AM
They last a lot longer if they are kept on a trickle charge between uses, when they are allowed to go flat that's when the life is shortened, and never let electrolyte level drop below the plates

Out-Station
28-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tip on those battery's fellas, seems like whenever one is buggered i'm in a rush and just get whats there. Next time round i'll be a bit more scientific about it.

Triple
28-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Just had to replace the century batt that came with my boat that was stamped a2 so either a four year old battery or it is 14 years old and did really well ;D. I have a 1000cca caterpillar batt as my starter and picked up a exide stowaway duel purpose 830cca 100a/h batt from Costco for $188 as my backup. Can't really go past the Cat batteries for the price and warranty but.

Smithy
30-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Just replaced two Lions. Guessing they are 25months old but have been doughy on my boat for a while. Back down to 127cca. N70size. Could not recommend them at all. Just bought 2xCentuary Marine Pro 720s for $389 for the pair I think it was. Had contemplated the Cat battery but only had an old style post in the N70 size and my battery terminals work best with wing nuts. The next size up Cat had both. After buying the Centuaries I did see some red hot pricing on some Optima Blues but they were still going to be $70-80 more per battery but maybe worth it in the long run.

Dignity
31-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Just replaced two Lions. Guessing they are 25months old but have been doughy on my boat for a while. Back down to 127cca. N70size. Could not recommend them at all. Just bought 2xCentuary Marine Pro 720s for $389 for the pair I think it was. Had contemplated the Cat battery but only had an old style post in the N70 size and my battery terminals work best with wing nuts. The next size up Cat had both. After buying the Centuaries I did see some red hot pricing on some Optima Blues but they were still going to be $70-80 more per battery but maybe worth it in the long run.

I have a Century Marine Pro 720 (replaced under warranty at 23 months) and a blue Optima, 4 years old and still going strong. Both charged after each trip and the water level in the 720 checked regularly. Salt water is the biggest killer of most marine batteries, I guess that is why batteries like the Optima which are well sealed possibly last longer.

Smithy, Capricorn, hull cleaned, new planing strakes added, new placement of RFD, new batteries, spit and polish - I might not recognize her.