PDA

View Full Version : anyone using led bung lights

trevs1979
16-05-2016, 08:41 PM
as above have been thinking about installing some underwater lighting at the rear of my boat for fishing

and seen vigil led bung units seems to be a very brand but cant see any reviews or pictures of them installed and turned on under water is anybody using them or something similar if so can you post up some pics of them turned on at night

cheers trev

Gon Fishun
16-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Sorry bout the image. Got blue led's as per pik on the transom about 2 inches up. They were bought from fleabay, have 3 led's in each and fairly bright under water.

Feral
17-05-2016, 05:39 AM
I thought the whole using blue lights at night was about having them set at some depth under the boat?

Triple
17-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Keen for a blue one too and wanna see how bright they are. Saw the vigils at whitworths as well but can't find any other colours of the bung style than white. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=49228&intAbsolutePage=1

This will be a debated topic but what colour is better as a bait/squid attractant? I've read green, but does anyone have a personal preference?

Gon Fishun
17-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Keen for a blue one too and wanna see how bright they are. Saw the vigils at whitworths as well but can't find any other colours of the bung style than white. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=49228&intAbsolutePage=1

This will be a debated topic but what colour is better as a bait/squid attractant? I've read green, but does anyone have a personal preference?

Can't comment on the green light but the pic below of bait fish was from having the white flood light shining half in and half out of the tinny. It is mounted under the all round light on a 4ft pole that sits up front. The other pic is the blue led's mounted on the bottom of the transom and don't seem to be as good at attracting bait.

Crunchy
17-05-2016, 11:29 AM
I bought one but it wouldn't fit in my bung hole, thought bung holes were all the same but nope...so have a good look at your bung hole before buying. The light is blue, somwehat bright but not blinding.

gofishin
17-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Whenever I have a light go bung i normally replace it..... ::) :P

On a more serious note, the large size bungs (which I assume these lights fit into) came in two different thread types (different suppliers) for the same size bung - and they weren't interchangeable. I assume this is still the case.

One had a square thread profile (with square O-ring), and the other had rounded threads and normal round section O-rings.
Cheers
Brendon

odieman150
17-05-2016, 01:45 PM
I bought one but it wouldn't fit in my bung hole, thought bung holes were all the same but nope...so have a good look at your bung hole before buying. The light is blue, somwehat bright but not blinding.

I think I will need someone with a very strong stomach to look into my bung hole for me. :oops: :LMAO:

PROS
17-05-2016, 02:05 PM
I think I will need someone with a very strong stomach to look into my bung hole for me. :oops: :LMAO:

I guess you havent seen good old Ron Jeremy doing some bung hole workout, then filling up the transom with milk and drinking it with straw?

Not sure if milk will attract more squids though.

Crunchy
17-05-2016, 02:14 PM
^ you have gone too far...best keep your private life private

bigjimg
17-05-2016, 06:59 PM
I guess you havent seen good old Ron Jeremy doing some bung hole workout, then filling up the transom with milk and drinking it with straw?

Not sure if milk will attract more squids though.

Took 9 posts to get there, i thought it would've only taken 3-4. Must be getting slow.

As far as the squid goes, as long as the tentacles don't fall out..........

I recently fished out of a Bertram 31 with blue led transom lights and the life at night around the back of the boat was mega. Works well.

Bungs come in Fine thread and Coarse thread in all sizes. Jim

Triple
17-05-2016, 08:49 PM
The vigils come either as bung by itself or bung and base for an extra $5.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=49226&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=49228&search123=Bung%20light

tunaticer
17-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Green lights work best for squid....blue for baitfish.

trevs1979
17-05-2016, 09:18 PM
cheers for the replies .......after all that seems nobody can really agree on the best colour thinking ill go one blue and one green and see what happens

Dignity
17-05-2016, 09:32 PM
I have blue and agree with Tunaticer, blue attracts bait and seems to keep the squid at the edges of the light field.

upstart
18-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Over Easter the blue led strip light on my mates boat was deadly on the squid.

Gon Fishun
21-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Quiet night, thought I would do some research into what colour lights for attracting squid. Found an experimental paper in PDF form relating to it.
If your interested in reading it I can put up a link or just peruse the chart attached .
LED lights.
1. Blue.
2. White.
3. Green.
4. Red.
Felt a bit like Sat Nav for a minute there. ;D::)

Cheers.

Triple
21-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I can only find white vigil bung light but on their website the main pic has a blue one? Anyone seen a vigil blue bung led anywhere?

What brand is your blue one crunchy?

Moonlighter
21-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I put a pair of these aquabright blue LED lights on the transom of my boat. Very bright. Mate also has them on his cat and they attract bait and squids by the zillions.

I just drilled the one hole and put the cable thru it, and then just used Sikaflex 291 to stick the light itself to the hull (alloy boat). I didnt use the rubber gasket.

Been 18 months now and they havent moved or leaked a drop.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=49224&intAbsolutePage=1

Crunchy
24-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I can only find white vigil bung light but on their website the main pic has a blue one? Anyone seen a vigil blue bung led anywhere?

What brand is your blue one crunchy?

Vigil, do you have a coarse or fine bung hole? If your bung hole is course I could sell you the one above as I have one mighty fine bung hole and the LED won't fit....unused and as per the pic above it works fine.