PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs on seafarer Viking 17

94patrol
15-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Went out today in the chop and wondered in trimtabs would keep the bow down in my Viking because it tends to bounce alittle at speed in offshore chop or would ballest up front be better?

scottar
15-05-2016, 07:45 PM
ballast would be cheaper but tabs are more versatile and easier to adjust - you don't always want the extra bow down such as when in a following sea

Spaniard_King
15-05-2016, 07:49 PM
9 x 12 lencos you need

chocolatemoose
16-05-2016, 12:28 AM
check em all out.
lenco = reliable "minus 1" and well known
lectrotab = easier install and cheaper "still US made"
Bennets = smooth but more to go wrong
Zipwake = brilliant system but costlier.

juggernaut
16-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Trim tabs would keep the bow down when needed. They can also be used to correct a list and to get on the plane or hold plane at lower speeds (depending on the boat characteristics), and to some extent - control spray over the bow. Make sure you get them sized right. I have Bennets on my 38 cruiser and never had a problem with this setup. Looking at going their latest auto trim control setup when released so I don't have to manually adjust trim tabs to suit conditions.

Chris Tucker
16-05-2016, 10:23 AM
^^^^ What they all said ^^^^^^

Ballast is a bad idea. The angle your boat runs at is largely determined by the angle of incidence required to generate enough lift to get the boat on the plane at your chosen speed. More weight, more angle. This is why without changing anything it will run flatter at 30 knots than it does at 20. Add weight at the front and you run the risk of "confusing" the boat. More weight means you'll need a bigger angle but extra weight at the front wants to pull the bow down. The result.... Porpoising.

94patrol
16-05-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm gona go with the 9x12 lencos best price Iv found in Australia is around 1200 for a kit is this about right

Jarrah Jack
16-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I've been led to believe that Moose can do them cheaper if you get him in the right mood and call him good looking.

Noelm
16-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Hey, the words Moose and good looking should never be said together......

Spaniard_King
16-05-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm gona go with the 9x12 lencos best price Iv found in Australia is around 1200 for a kit is this about right

With or without the LED switch?

scottar
16-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Hey, the words Moose and good looking should never be said together......

LOL. Now that's just nasty Noel.

Fed
17-05-2016, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't add ballast but I'd definitely look at rearranging some weight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you go from a 90 HP 2 stroke LS (~130 Kg) to a 135 HP 4 stroke XLS (~210 Kg)?

Plus any fibreglass work, engine oil, battery upgrade you may have added the best part of 100 Kgs to the back of the boat.

Did the dealer lower the motor when you had the ventilation problem?

94patrol
17-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Hey fed yes I have upgraded motors to a new 135 4 stroke but I have moved the battery's to the front and try and keep as much weight forward as I can I took the boat back to the dealer and they can't lower the motor without cuting the transom to get it lower I try the trim tabs and see how it Gos can't be a bad thing

Chimo
17-05-2016, 07:20 PM
94 patrol

You may find the trim tabs even when fully up will lift the boat bum an inch or so when running. IMHO you will get all the side to side leveling control you need with 9 x 9 tabs. Going bigger may give you too much lift especialy if you motor is set the way it is.

9 x 9 Lencos givs me all the leveling and bow control on my twin engined Vagabond that anyone could want and the size was suggested by Lindsay Fry who also fitted them ( or at least his guys did).
Tabs are well and truely worth it.

Chimo