PDA

View Full Version : Those that tow over 2.5m beam or over 3.5t.

Lovey80
15-05-2016, 03:50 AM
Hey all,

I'm nearly certain the next cat will be over 3.5t with all the things I want in it. While the little 5.2m KC Black Marlin is such a perfect little boat for day trips I want to venture in to longer range and longer duration trips. Looking at all the options, even if I end up with a 2.5m beam boat which is unlikely, if I manage to get everything I want in a boat it's likely to be over the 3.5t mark.

So in all likelihood I will end up buying or building a cat in the sub 4.5t weight range and Sub 2.9m beam.

For those currently in this class of boat and been there and done that, please share your experiences with towing and storage and anything that may be relevant to owning a boat in this size class that Is trailered.

bugman
15-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Everything is big and expensive.
I needed a bigger car, bigger yard, bigger trailer and now I'm hiring a bigger shed to house it in.
It's hard to take fishing getting on and off the trailer unless you have people who can help you who know what they're doing. And they are expensive to run.
So ... I'd have another in flash. They can take you places you haven't dreamed of in comfort you never thought possible in a trailer boat.
Brett

scottar
15-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Absolutely. Once you get used to the new spelling - B.O.A.T.T. everything is better when it's bigger.

Lovey80
15-05-2016, 07:17 PM
What about towing considerations I know I'll have to have flags, yellow flasher, oversize and do not overtake signs but is there a general consensus on what is the most economical rig to tow it with is? If it is just used as the tow tractor is it worth getting a cheaper light truck than an F250?

The Mad Cat
15-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Hi Lovey,
From personal experience I can't stress enough about the lack of HP in smaller light trucks for towing. They can be painful and almost dangerous on even a short to medium run. If you only have to tow to the ramp around the corner sort of thing that's a different story. Don't be fooled by HP ratings as there is a big difference in how the Japs and Yanks come to there HP ratings. The Japs give it from a bare engine where with the Yanks it is with all accessories bolted on alternator, power steer etc'. It is called Jap ponies v Yank horses.
This next comment might sound very easy for me to say as I own a small fleet of Tilt trays. Don't discount a second hand Tilt tray to shift your boat around, you may have to shorten the draw bar and you have height restrictions (no fly bridge) but you will carry a load easier than you will tow the same load.

TMC

Lovey80
16-05-2016, 03:52 AM
thanks Mad Cat. Are you meaning to put the trailer and boat all the way up on the flatbed of the tilt tray?

Noelm
16-05-2016, 05:49 AM
A tilt tray would be good, but...... what about when you get to the ramp? you will need a lot of space and time to get the boat off, then hook it up to the truck for a "normal" launch, and then the reverse when you come back. Unless you are only towing short distances, I would opt for a decent vehicle, other wise any trip is going to be a night mare, bouncing around in some old beat up truck.

spud477
16-05-2016, 07:10 AM
Just do it like this

Lovey80
16-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Spud it says invalid attachment.

The Mad Cat
16-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Yes Lovey up on the truck. At a busy crowded ramp it might be a pain. If you go over 4.5t GVM you can do oversize up to 3.5m, I know you are not really looking at that sort of width. Stay under 12t GVM and you don't need a log book. You would need to watch the boat weight with the smaller tilt trays as the tray weight itself kills a lot of payload.
We average about 12-15 minutes to load a car and tie it down when you have all the right gear. For a boat if you have a tow ball above the winch you then only need to put axle straps on one set of wheels. I'm probably making this sound easy but this is what we do for a living.

We are building a trailer as we speak for a 9m long and 3.25 wide glass boat that will be carried on a truck. The tow ball, a 90mm Bartlett ball will be on the end of the tray so i can extend the the tray out to launch and retrieve and use the winch to pull the boat on. Anyway I'm going off track now.

TMC

koastal
16-05-2016, 09:07 AM
thanks Mad Cat. Are you meaning to put the trailer and boat all the way up on the flatbed of the tilt tray?

That would be a serious tray. I know my 7.9 m boat is 11.00 m long on the trailer.

I leave mine in a lock up next to the ramp. I tow it with a 2.5 navara. I can launch and retrieve it by myself with little trouble.

ozynorts
16-05-2016, 10:57 AM
There was an old fella up here that used to have his boat on a tilt tray. The boat was mounted in a cradle that, after the tilt tray was fully back he could drive the boat off. Ingenious and he always did it solo. It was a decent sized boat as well.

scottar
16-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Avoids the need for a registered trailer as well - no brakes to maintain on the trailer, minimum bearing maintenance, less room required overall to park the whole rig - it's got a few pluses

Lovey80
17-05-2016, 04:18 AM
I don't think I'll be building a shed that high.