PDA

View Full Version : Plate boat trailer upgrade..?

rcfisher
08-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Hey guys and girls,
looking at upgrading the barcrusher to a larger plate boat which I looked at today. All looks great except the weight of the boat and trailer all up comes in at 2000 kg empty and the trailer is only rated to 2000 kg. By the time I add 350 kg of fuel and some ice and gear I'm guessing I'll be around 2500 kg. Is it possible to just upgrade the breaks on the trailer or is it a whole new trailer? The trailer in question is a red I redco re 200 mo.
cheers Ryan

rtp1984
08-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Hey mate.
Maybe give redco a call to confirm, but I think the addition of electric brakes instead of the inertia brakes that I assume you have will increase the limit.
Either way you will need to have it re-stamped.

Thanks
Rob

gofishin
08-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Will need electric-hydraulic brakes with a breakaway system and brakes on all 4 wheels. Will probably be a few grand, maybe a lot more. But yes, call Redco, as maybe the trailer itself may not be up to the higher rating 'structurally'.

Depending on condition/age of the trailer, might be cheaper to sell it and buy a new one.
Cheers
Brendon

scottar
08-05-2016, 08:15 PM
As above - Redco should be able to tell you if there is any difference in the frame between models. You could of course just add the necessary bits (brakes on all four wheels and a break away system), replate it as a homemade and get it re registered but you would want to be confident the frame, axles etc are up to the job