PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer side clearance lights help

odes20
06-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Just prepping my Tinka dual Axle trailer for Qld Roadworthy. So hard to find online whether I need side clearance lights.
So my trailer is 2.3 metres wide at mudguards. Do I Need side lights or reflectors?
If i need side clearance lights, what colours must they be?

Anyone with recent experience ? Thanks for your help in advance.

cheers !!!

robothefisho
06-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Just prepping my Tinka dual Axle trailer for Qld Roadworthy. So hard to find online whether I need side clearance lights.
So my trailer is 2.3 metres wide at mudguards. Do I Need side lights or reflectors?
If i need side clearance lights, what colours must they be?

Anyone with recent experience ? Thanks for your help in advance.

cheers !!!

Yes you will. Amber towards the front and red towards the rear. Both to be visible from the side. A combo is fine. Also clear reflectors facing forward at outer most point. Ambers facing sideways at front, mid and rear. Reds might be in your lights but pays to put them on outer most point as well facing rear.

scottar
06-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Odd it doesn't have them. My Tinka does (2800 kg rating)

odes20
06-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Odd it doesn't have them. My Tinka does (2800 kg rating)
It did have years ago.

tjotter
07-05-2016, 12:42 AM
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

LIGHTS:
I am not sure if this is the latest/correct one, but
Section 13.8 talks about SM1 & SM2 [Side Marker lights options 1 & 2].

SM2 for long/wide ie if 7500mm long or over 2100mm wide.
Amber,
[except for the rearmost lamp which may emit red if it is grouped or combined or reciprocally incorporated with the rear position lamp, the rear end-outline marker lamp, stop lamp or is grouped or has part of the light emitting surface in common with the rear retro-reflector]

Presence:
2 towards the rear if a trailer is more than 2100 mm wide.

Number:
2 towards the front plus 2 towards the rear,
plus 2 midway between the front and the rear lamps, if a trailer over 7500 mm long....

REFLECTORS :
Section 13.12, Figure 4 shows placement of side reflectors.

odes20
07-05-2016, 07:32 PM
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

LIGHTS:
I am not sure if this is the latest/correct one, but
Section 13.8 talks about SM1 & SM2 [Side Marker lights options 1 & 2].

SM2 for long/wide ie if 7500mm long or over 2100mm wide.
Amber,
[except for the rearmost lamp which may emit red if it is grouped or combined or reciprocally incorporated with the rear position lamp, the rear end-outline marker lamp, stop lamp or is grouped or has part of the light emitting surface in common with the rear retro-reflector]

Presence:
2 towards the rear if a trailer is more than 2100 mm wide.

Number:
2 towards the front plus 2 towards the rear,
plus 2 midway between the front and the rear lamps, if a trailer over 7500 mm long....

REFLECTORS :
Section 13.12, Figure 4 shows placement of side reflectors.
so my trailer is less than 7.5 metres, can you please interpret what you have posted?
not easy to understand.
thx

myusernam
07-05-2016, 09:30 PM
just download the doc fromt he transport website. from memory there4 is one that's called building small trailers that outlines all the rules. i know u didnt build but it explains all of the lighting requirements and it willl be up to date

Triple
07-05-2016, 11:48 PM
13.7 and 13.8

Noelm
08-05-2016, 05:06 AM
That explains it a bit clearer, my brand new trailer (well new in Jan this year) has white side lights facing forward only, and reflectors (red) on the rear of the mud guards, that link explains the colour combos

tjotter
08-05-2016, 08:13 PM
side lights should be Amber,
[I think you can ignore that stuff about "rearmost lamp" unless you go for a rear/side combo unit].

I am not 100% sure but it looks like you should have
2 Amber side lights "towards the rear",
and they should be within 300mm of the rear of the trailer.

Also, I think for you extra [more than 2] sidelights is optional.

Maybe if you go to the testing place you can double check before you do the install ?

odes20
08-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Its getting confusing. Never seen side lights on anything within 300 mm of rear.
Im gonna take it in and see what they say.
ive been noticing so many trailers on the road and in pics that are like mine with no side lights at all!

scottar
08-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Yes you do.

13.1 Front Position (Side) Lamps These lamps indicate the presence and width of a trailer when viewed from the front.
Presence: Must be fitted if a trailer is more than 1600 mm wide and over 4 metres long, or over 1800 mm wide.

If you like Odes I can have a look at mine and let you know what else it has in the way of reflectors.

Noelm
09-05-2016, 07:19 AM
side lights should be Amber,
[I think you can ignore that stuff about "rearmost lamp" unless you go for a rear/side combo unit].

I am not 100% sure but it looks like you should have
2 Amber side lights "towards the rear",
and they should be within 300mm of the rear of the trailer.

Also, I think for you extra [more than 2] sidelights is optional.

Maybe if you go to the testing place you can double check before you do the install ?
You are misunderstanding the link, side lights facing forward can be white or amber.

odes20
09-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Thx Scottar yes please, on the reflectors.
im gonna fit Amber /red combo towards front of mudguards.

Pretty sure now this is what i should be doing
thx everyone, and we will see.

scottar
09-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Pics tell a thousand words but two ambers either side facing sideways - one in front and one behind the guards close to the rear of the trailer and one white on the forward side of the guard facing forward. Hope this helps.