PDA

View Full Version : 3 meter punt in back of hilux twin cab

unchainedjenner
06-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi, I want to buy a stacer or quintrex 3 meter punt and transport it in my twin cab hilux,
i was going to rest it in the tray over the headboard, would this be legal? And has anyone else done this before.

i just want to use it down the local weir, so I don't really want a trailer, and just buy a 4hp to bolt on when I get there.

Noelm
06-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Can't really see any reason it won't be legal, just remember a twin cab tray is pretty small!

rayken1938
06-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Do not know about other states but in Qld if load projects more than 1.2m it must have a flag and I think a reflector best check the regs for where you reside.I am uncertain of max projection allowed but I do know that it is not legal to carry a 8m length of steel on top-of a ute as steel retailers will refuse to load for you.,
Cheers
Ray

Noelm
06-05-2016, 08:43 PM
He is putting it in the tray, resting against the cab, so no over hang?

scottar
06-05-2016, 09:13 PM
No overhang but a shite load of windage. You would be better off fitting a rear carry bar in the tray and putting the boat across both. You will be able to do it the other way - I've transported a tug gangway in similar fashion but it wasn't fun. You could definitely feel the effects of the windage on the ute. Almost exciting when a large truck goes past on the highway. If you do it, make sure you have a pretty serious strap or three.

unchainedjenner
06-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Yeah it will sit in the back, no overhang.

it will stick out a bit above the cab though.

i was wondering if anyone else does this?

i suppose I'll ask the boat shop if I can test it out, sit it in the back off my ute to see how it looks.

Cobbo1
06-05-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm with Scottar just get the second rack

rtp1984
06-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I have done it mate.
No dramas at all.
Boat was a 3.2 or 3.4 Punt. It didn't go racing up the hi way, but it was tied down well.
It was on a 1.8m long tray. The shorter the tray get it will obviously get worse.

Thanks
Rob

unchainedjenner
10-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Had a look at the 3 metre punts today, and wow they pretty long for the back of the ute.

im thinking I might go alittle smaller and get the Clark 260 punt.

ill price it up tomorrow. It has a 1.4 metre beam so should still be pretty stable.

aussiebasser
11-05-2016, 06:50 AM
That 260 is a bit of a toy. If you're serious, get a rack for the back of the tray, or make one that slots into your tow bar, and get a 10 or 12 footer.
I made this on for my Commodore and have carried a 10' Punt and a 14' Canoe on two separate trips from Brisbane to Victoria.

Noelm
11-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Just guessing, but a dual cab tray would be about 1.8 long? a 3m punt with the stern right against the tail gate would be perhaps 1m above the cab on an angle, so, can really see a major drama for general trips, maybe catch a bit of wind on a freeway and long distance trips though.

Camhawk88
11-05-2016, 08:48 AM
I cant definitively answer your question if it is legal or not but I find it hard to see that it would be viewed any different to putting it on a roof rack.
So long as the load is secured I dont think there are any laws against what you put in a ute (obvious exception being a dead body or pallets of narcotics). Probably best to run it but Dept Transport rather than accepting fishing forum wisdom.

Noelm
11-05-2016, 09:53 AM
There is no real height restriction (well within reason) once you start having to lift power wires and stuff, it's a while other story, but a tinny sticking up a bit is OK.

aussiebasser
11-05-2016, 11:02 AM
A dual cab tray isn't normally 1.8mt. I got a slightly longer alloy tray on our work Collie and it's 1.6mt. Length from top of tailgate to top of headrail is 1.8mt. That's going to leave a lot of upside down punt sticking up in the air catching wind. If you put a rear rack on it, it doesn't need to hang over the back much, but it can sit up over the cab and you can still put all your other gear in the back of the ute.

unchainedjenner
11-05-2016, 06:37 PM
I ended up ordering the Clark 260, the 3 metre models were to big for what I needed, I have a box trailer or use the back of my ute to transport it.

I have a 450 topender as my main boat, so I did really want something compact to take to the local fresh water weir.

The smaller boat will be easier for me to store, I couldn't really fit the 3 meter models in my shed without dramas.

It has 1.4 metre beam so is wider than the 3 meter models, and should be pretty stable.

I've also ordered the new Suzuki DF6A so it should go alright!

And my twin cab hilux tub is 1.5 x 1.5 metres.