PDA

View Full Version : GoPro info wanted

martib
01-05-2016, 03:22 PM
My son and I want get ourselves a GoPro.
I want it for fishing and he wants it for filming bloody everything. Lol.
i want to head mount it.
If you can give me a heads up in what I need. Let me know.
Cheers.

Just_chips
01-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Patience to do the editing. Can be bloody hard work when getting started. I've since graduated to a mac and iMovie and it's tolerable but there are some great programmes out there to make it a bit easier if your willing to part with the dollars

lembo
01-05-2016, 07:40 PM
unless you want to do quite advanced filming just get yourself a basic gopro,theres a few in the range. they film in High def which is what I found best to film in. it looks good and doesn't chew through as much memory as 4k filming so you can get a smaller memory card too. most tvs, and phones,computers don't even play 4k video so its pointless.expensive go pro is 4k video cheaper is just HD,theres about 4/5 cameras in there range. but grab a go pro and a head mount and have a play. they are awesome bits of gear. check out you tube for tutorial videos too theres thousands.

Spaniard_King
01-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Have a look at a Garmin VirbXE as well. They can be hard wired and with a 128GB card will run for 13 hrs of hd vid at 60fps saves on them going flat when you want them on :)

Chimo
02-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Nice unit Garry, seem good value for $400 too but I guess there are extras to buy like cards etc

Chimo

NAGG
02-05-2016, 07:33 AM
I've got a love / hate relationship with GoPro .... I've just bought a Hero 4 Silver & have a 3 Black but I've - thrown away a Hero 2 .... I've had some issues with the 3 Black - but it was sorted with the help of GoPro.

If you are going to buy one .... don't buy a second hand 2 or 3 . Each model has been an improvement particularly with ease of use (as they can be fiddly) . Wi Fi ( & remote ) makes it so much easier .... specially having it on your head.

The key things with go pro is that you want a fairly large capacity quality SD card 32 Gb as a min (10 rating) & you want to have at least 1 spare battery (2 is better) ...... & that should cover you for a day on the water . Having a USB charger on the boat makes a handy addition plus a spare memory card .

As for editing .... it's all about the software & your computer - you can spend hours but it can be a bit of fun .

There are now more options out there for a wearable sports cam ..... I'm still to be convinced that any are as good as the Gopro's for filming quality / ruggedness etc but the likes of the Tom Tom bandit Sony & Garmin Virb should be looked at ...... all offer some advantages & disadvantages - regardless though you'll be forking over a similar amount of cash as you would for the market leader.

A mate who is really into this stuff ..... wears the go pro but uses a Garmin Virb for fixed mount footage (3 hrs battery life) & is waterproof without a housing.

Good luck with your purchase ..... just remember though - be prepared to spend at least 50% more than the ticket price for all the extras (batteries , charger , SD Cards , pelican case , mounts) & you need a half decent computer.

good luck with it

Chris

tunaticer
02-05-2016, 02:54 PM
I have both a gopro hero and a ebay knockoff worth $40 delivered.
To be honest, the ebay cheaper has better resolution and works better in low light......does not have a very long battery life of about 90 minutes.
My gopro i fitted a battery backpack to it and get 3 full hours plus each charge.

Muttonchop
04-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Id have to agree with Tunaticre, I got a cheap ebay version SJ4000, works great and 1/4 price with a crap load of clips and brackets. I have a gopro as well but for the money and chance of getting banged around or lost just go with the cheaper option.