PDA

View Full Version : How to seal this off?

stevemid
27-04-2016, 11:18 AM
G'day mates,

This is one of the lockers where I've come up with my fuel and water tank connections to the gunnel. Although I've spilt no fuel and have no leaks I'm getting the odour of petrol up into this locker where I keep my fishing tackle, etc. I'm worried this is going to put the fish off and I'm looking for a reversible (in case I ever need to get to the connections) way to seal this off to keep the petrol smell out of the locker.

Any suggestions?

Chimo
27-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Hi Steve

Perhaps consider fitting a 12 volt fan such as this to the two part lid you install over the fuel locker / storage area. If you exhaust air and fumes to the back deck or where or ever you will draw any smell with it, beyond the tackle storage area. If you build something to seal the pipes the other part of the existing hole can have the little fan sitting in it.https://www.google.com.au/search?q=12+v+computer+fan&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC4Y3k8K3MAhUFHJQKHSrrAkMQ_AUICCgC&biw=1536&bih=706#imgrc=Xwa3tSziMLr16M%3A

If the fan exhausts from the fuel area is there another air inlet so you can get an air flow of outside air flowing thru? If not you may need to make an inlet as well.

These little fans are very robust and I have been using the same two, but in the 240 volt version continuously when the boat is not in use; in my last two boats for some 20 yrs.

One day you will probably get the odd jobs in the boat done. I guess is been going well otherwise and your catching a few fish, or at least you were till every thing started to smell!.

Cheers
Chimo

cwcarter
27-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Fuel hoses/plastic tanks all permeate fuel. Blocking just the bottom hole won't stop the smell, you'll have to box the whole lot in.

scottar
27-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Yep. Was also going to suggest the permeation. Depending on what happens in the top of the locker a couple of lips to screw to - one top and one bottom and a removable cover.

Chimo
28-04-2016, 06:32 AM
If you have ever spent time on one of the Whitsunday Charter boats and had need to don one of their yellows that was stored in a closed area adjacent to the sealed in sullage tank area you too may feel that attempting to seal smells away would work much more better if the smell was significantly and cheaply diluted by a lot of fresh air as well as being closed off.

Just may have some carryover to this issue too.

C
C

Fed
28-04-2016, 08:42 AM
After giving this thread the sniff test I reckon you've got a leak, be it vapour or fuel.

Question Steve, do both tanks smell or only that one?