PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Island Fishing Info

Jedster4051
21-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Hi all,
I am going to Honiara in the Solomon Islands for two weeks of work, leaving Monday 25 April. I am staying at the King Solomon Hotel and will be working but hope to have some free time and want to get in some fishing. I am equipped with travel rods to cover light spin, heavy spin and baitcaster and 8wt fly. What I can't find is much info about land based and charter fishing options accessible around my accommodation. I'm hoping someone on ausfish knows someone on the island or has been there and can help me out with info including any etiquette so I don't get into trouble with the locals. Thanks in advance.
J

AndrewB
22-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Just come back from the Solomons but we stayed in the Western Province. Honiara is probably the worst part of the Solomons. I would suggest going down to the Yacht club (not like Aussie yacht clubs) and ask there.
The locals work for around 90c to $1.20 per hr but fuel costs similar to here. Quite often they will give you an hourly rate to hire the boat + fuel. Boats are a vital way of getting around in the Solomons so if you can find a local with boat pretty good chance of hiring a boat a driver for the right price. The majority of powered boats are fibreglass long boats, if you venture to the back of the local markets you will se maybe 20 or 30 of them as the people selling in the market come from far and wide.

If you get opportunity to get to the islands other than Honiara take it as this is a magical part of the world.

Jedster4051
22-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks AndrewB. I will have the weekend so maybe a chance for a boat hire or at least getting to another part of the province. It's going to be a long fortnight if I'm on a south pacific island and can't even get a line wet. :'(

aussiebasser
27-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Look up a young guy called Kane Dysart. He's on Facebook. He's a fishing guide from Darwin who is based in Honiara now. He may be back in Darwin for the Barra Nationals at the moment though. He has discovered some pretty good fisheries around Honiara, with some monster Spot Tail Bass.