PDA

View Full Version : Cuddy Cab Bulkhead Material Choice

diver
20-04-2016, 08:30 PM
I have a 5.6m fibreglass cuddy cabin Baron Sportsman. I would like to put in a partition / bulkhead with a view to making the cabin a lock up secure area. I would like a durable white finish. A product called boat board sounded ideal but expensive at $300 a sheet.

I am thinking of using 9mm marine ply, paint it white and using a sponge to coat it in polyester resin. Anyone with a better idea and if you cab is lock up I am interested in how this is achieved ?

Thanks Peter

ozynorts
21-04-2016, 09:53 AM
If you coat it in Poly resin and then flow coat over the top it will give you a more durable finish.
An even stronger option would be to fibreglass the ply and then flow coat. Use a double bias cloth, not chopped strand.

diver
21-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your reply Ozynorts. Is a brush ok to apply the resin or is a sponge or roller better ?
Flow coat is fairly thick, can this be thinned and once again the best way to apply it to get a decent finish ?
Your input was appreciated

Rip it up
22-04-2016, 03:18 AM
Diver check out some of the build threads on here about applications.

But a few details are needed.

How will the ply be fixed in place? The edges are the hard parts to seal up.

If is a peerage piece purely for lockup not structural? Then a sheet of ply coated will be fine for 12-18months. With a little edge treatment.

The best way is a ply sheet coated in cloth and resin. Then a 4" mini roller finish on the flowcoat. It can be sanded back to a polished smooth if your good on a sander.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.

diver
22-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the cloth and not the chopped strand with a coat of flow coat is the go. Its not for structural purposes just wish to close the cab in so things are not so visible in the cabin.
Would 9mm marine ply be a good base ?
What do you search for to find the build threads ?

ovakil
23-04-2016, 11:27 AM
If it's not structural, I would use normal ply ( cheaper ) if you are glassing over it.
Difference between marine ply & normal ply is the glue they use between sheets.