PDA

View Full Version : Gear for Barra

ozscott
16-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

Thinking of 2 rigs for Cape York - lure for light and mid) Land based casting including at Lakefield Nat Park.

Light - Shimano Stradic 3000 with 15 pound braid on a TD 4-6kg 7 foot rod

Mid-Heavy - Shimano 8000 GTE Bait Runner on a Phluger Medalist 10-12 KG 7 footer with 30 pound braid.

Heavy - (for dangling bait at Sesie wharf) Pen Squall on a matched 6 foot rod (heavy duty combo) with 50 pound braid

I don't know what the Baitrunner's max drag is. 18 year old reel that is like new. I also have a Shimano TS4 Speedmaster that whilst not balanced like the Baitrunner might have more drag...certainly the TS4 is tough.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lachie1
19-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Pretty hard to go past a 6-8kg baitcaster outfit with 30lb braid mate. Not much you cant do with that, i find it a lot easier to use than a spinning reel for luring.

Lachie

scuttlebutt
19-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah baitcaster for lakefield. Much easier to manage in tight country and so much better for controlling your lure on retrieve. What Lachie said.

scottar
19-04-2016, 10:30 PM
The fly in the ointment for lure fishing is the mid weight outfit - will be an absolute pain to cast anything but the heaviest lures with and while the baitcaster is a good option, it too will have limitations to the weight of lure it will comfortably cast over any sort of distance. Admittedly my barra experience is limited to impoundment stuff but for a mid weight outfit for heavier lures, I like a two handed baitcaster for heavier "traditional" barra lures - we use 50lb braid but for smaller fish 30lb should be heaps but for using lighter weedless rigged plastics a 4000 size threadline on a 4-8 0r 5-10 kilo rod with a lighter tip is the go running 30lb. You don't need to spend mega bucks - I have a Stradic and a Symetre that have both stood up to impoundment fishing with no issue. You can of course run heavier lures on the spin gear - not so easy to go the other way. If you are going to be land based without the option of using tacklebacks and the like (don't become a statistic like the last fisherman who waded in to get his lure back), the weedless option with the plastics may well be a good one to have up your sleeve. Never ceases to amaze me just how gnarly the snags can be and you still get the lures back (most of the time)

ozscott
21-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks fellas.

I am thinking of teaming this 6-9kg 3 piece up to my baitcaster for a Barra set up.# The baitcaster has about 30lb braid on it.# It's a TD G-103Hi so 7 piece carbon drag - 7-8 kg as best I can ascertain.# An old reel (20 years probably) but a goodie - alloy frame and brass gears. Its a 100 size but far stronger than a lot of 100 sizes today that can have plastic main gear.

http://tacklebusters.com.au/en/rods/8082-daiwa-phantom-x.html#/2076-daiwa_phantom_x-phantom_x_561hfb

What do you reckon as the mid sizer for Barra?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scuttlebutt
21-04-2016, 12:04 PM
It'll do the job if you're on a budget. The vast majority of barra you'll encounter at lakefield will be under 80cm. Of course a big one can pop up anywhere but they're not that common.

ozscott
21-04-2016, 12:06 PM
On a budget for sure. I also have to outfit my 2 boys!!!

So the reel is a bit small for a big Barra in snags...you would recommend a 200 size?

Cheers

NAGG
21-04-2016, 12:23 PM
On a budget for sure. I also have to outfit my 2 boys!!!

So the reel is a bit small for a big Barra in snags...you would recommend a 200 size?

Cheers

You wont need big capacity - a 100 size with 30lb is fine ....... yes if you encounter a bigger fish that wants to run then you might wish that you had more - but lets face it ...... shore based on a running fish - it's probably going to cut you off along the way even before you get 100m off the spool.

sounds like a good trip

Chris

ozscott
21-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks Nagg. June next year but trying to get out ahead so the gear gathering pain doesn't all happen at once!

Cheers

aussiebasser
21-04-2016, 01:21 PM
That TD-G while a very pretty little reel, will bet ripped apart if you hook a decent fish. I had a couple of them and they wore out quickly. Send a letter to Santa early for a Tatula for Christmas.

ozscott
21-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Copy that mate. Are just too small...seem well built?

Cheers

aussiebasser
21-04-2016, 02:41 PM
They are well built, and make a great bass reel, but the frame isn't strong and it can distort causing gear mesh issues. I'd hate to see you lose the fish of your dreams.

ozscott
21-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks mate...so what mid weight baitcaster? Or a bigger Stradic say. I can cast both caster and spinner overhead good enough.

Cheers

aussiebasser
21-04-2016, 03:20 PM
A Daiwa Tatula would be a good baitcaster, but your 3000 Stradic will do the job too. Nothing wrong with threadline reels.

ozscott
21-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks mate. The stradic's rod is a bit light. I have another up to 6kg but then a gap until the big heavy 10kg Phlueger...might have to invest in a 5-8kg spin rod to suit...

Cheers

ozscott
21-04-2016, 03:46 PM
And i can load the spare Stradic spool with lighter line and just swap the reel when i need light gear for Barra

scuttlebutt
21-04-2016, 05:48 PM
I reckon the baitcaster on that rod with 30lb braid will be fine. My reference to budget was just that. My favourite barra setup cost about $800 and is probably a bit lighter,smoother and more durable but that setup you're looking at will catch any barra in lakefield. I would use it over those other options you mentioned.

Of recent times I've been collecting old baitcasters and I always try and get a few barra on each one before putting it on the shelf. The pic in my avatar is an old 2 speed shimano bantam on a 72cm barra caught in Lakefield, off the bank. It doesn't have instant anti reverse and is a bit clunky but casts well and the drag is smooth.

You can catch a barra on any gear. Price just makes it nicer to use.

Like Nagg said, If a big barra plays dirty it doesn't matter what gear you're using, particularly from the bank.

Just use a decent length of 60lb leader tied with a knot that won't catch on the levelwind or guides when casting (suggest fg knot). That way you'll be able to drag most fish out of the water without getting eaten.

ozscott
21-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys. What's the best way to put them back without getting eaten? Haha. But serious question....

Cheers

scuttlebutt
21-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Two handed throw. One hand holding the bottom jaw and one supporting the belly. Spear em in if possible but not crucial

scottar
21-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Throw them. All bets are off when it comes to snapping handbags. No fishes life is worth your own or one of your boys.

ozscott
22-04-2016, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys. My plan was to throw them...preferably from 6m back from the edge!

Cheers

Sheik
22-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. My plan was to throw them...preferably from 6m back from the edge!

Cheers

Yep good plan , i agree.
Support the belly when you can, as they go back alright when you hang em up by the head but they don't survive as well as those that have their weight supported. And go withe the FG know, very smooth but not sure it's as strong as the albright FOR ME. Please note I have shouted "for me" as I'm sure others have better knot tying abilities than me. I have to put some time in to learn to tie it right obviously, but as far as knot size is concerned it's a great knot. In fact, a f%*&ing great knot. (FG) I don't use it when I'm live baiting as the sinker runs up past the knot and then doesnt come back so I prefer the albright for baits.

Stressless
23-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Take plenty of lures, better to fish weedless Zmann plastics to save (reduce) snagging, big laughing logs up there