PDA

View Full Version : Soda Blasters - Brisbane Reigon

VictorOscar
13-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Afternoon everyone,

I have a 5m alloy CC and want to remove all the paint.

I have no intention of repainting it so thought that soda blasting would be the way to go.

I’ve found a couple of mobile soda blasters but I think I’d prefer to take the boat to a business premise – not sure the noise, mess etc. would go down well at home :P

Can anyone recommend a soda blaster that they’ve used before? I’d be interested to hear about your experience with them.

I am located in Brisbane but would be willing to travel between the Gold Coast and North Coast to have it done.

Thanks,

VictorOscar

Cobbo1
13-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Hi mate, cant help you on the sodablasting front as I'm from Ipswich, but if you're just talking about the sides and maybe transom of the boat maybe consider a couple of tins of paint stripper, if theres no fiddly bits it will be quite easy and a lot cheaper, just slap the stripper on nice and thick, cover with plastic, sit down with a couple of beers and pressure wash off, clean up any small bits left with a little bit more stripper and you're set

VictorOscar
13-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I thought about the paint stripper but I want to get the whole boat done and I reckon doing the inside around the ribs and underneath the gunwale will be too much of a hassle.

Cobbo1
13-04-2016, 07:15 PM
If you're doing the insides then definitely stick to the soda blasting, a flat surface is easy, good luck with it

Jeremy
13-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Paint stripper is highly alkaline. It will react with the aluminium real quick. Any problems you had with pitting will be all gone as will be your boat!

Cobbo1
13-04-2016, 09:15 PM
I've heard a lot of people talk about this, but I've never seen it with my own eyes, I've been a spray painter for 8 years now, worked on a lot of boats and aluminium panels for old land rovers and that sort of thing and never had a problem with it.

baitable
14-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Brisbane soda blasters - professional crew. Had my hj47 taken back to bare metal also the anti foul taken off the cat. 0458 763 222 tell em Jansen gave the recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VictorOscar
17-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks baitable!

Noelm
17-04-2016, 03:29 PM
There is paint strippers for use with Aluminium, do not just buy some from a hardware store unless you know what you need. Also be very careful blasting Aluminium, make sure whoever does it has done boats before, it's very easy to end up with distortion, pitted material, holes and god knows what else, make sure you remove any silicon that might be hanging around, during blasting the guy doing it just sees a stubborn bit of "stuff" and gives it some extra time with often disastrous results, don't ask me how I know these things.

baitable
17-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Soda blasting does not create any heat- sand blasting definitely does. They only side effect with soda is that u may get some very small pitting.... This pitting could have been a defect in the material itself though.... Very happy with soda results. My cat was painted by Arnold's fiberglass afterwards so maybe chat with Arnold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk