PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Seafarer club

whitebeach
12-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Well after an exhausting search for everything from 5.8m-7m I have bought a 1995 Seafarer 5.9. My first Seafarer. I would like to personally thank Chimo and Smithy for their help in getting over the hurdle(s). It is not easy buying a boat 3000 km away! Anyway just wanted to say thanks to ausfish and Chimo and Smithy.

Cobbo1
12-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Well come on with the pics!! Tell us about it!

Good on you Chimo and Smithy

boatboy50
12-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Does it have a 175 suzuki?

Darren

Oceanic Dave
12-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Congrats!! Yes... where are the pics??

Are you planning on doing anything to it?

whitebeach
13-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Congrats!! Yes... where are the pics??

Are you planning on doing anything to it?

No pics yet as the boat is still in Queensland and I'm in Tasmania! It has a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I will be adding a pot hauler and a 1000 meter fishing line rig to it, plus an auxiliary bracket for my 8hp Merc (although Yamaha are beyond reliable we are all a bit paranoid down here of breaking down and getting blown to Antarctica!), Chimo is insisting on trim tabs! Never had them so don't know if I'd miss them. My mechanic says no, although he says he will get them for his 24' Striper! Er...

whitebeach
13-04-2016, 07:36 AM
No, better, a Yamaha!

scottar
13-04-2016, 10:55 PM
I suspect you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has fitted a set of tabs to an offshore fishing style vessel and doesn't think they are a massive improvement. They are a bit more involved to fit on the Victory with the transom steps (could be the mechanics concern if you asked him to fit them) but on my 6.0 they made a massive difference to the ride and were well worth the effort.

Noelm
14-04-2016, 06:08 AM
Yep, get trim tabs, especially seeing as you are putting on an auxiliary motor, they will make a big difference, but then, if you're used to smacking down on one side when traveling side on to wind and chop, then maybe you don't need them?

whitebeach
14-04-2016, 07:38 AM
I suspect you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has fitted a set of tabs to an offshore fishing style vessel and doesn't think they are a massive improvement. They are a bit more involved to fit on the Victory with the transom steps (could be the mechanics concern if you asked him to fit them) but on my 6.0 they made a massive difference to the ride and were well worth the effort.

Any Victory owners out there with trim tabs? Question re fitting.

scottar
14-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Any Victory owners out there with trim tabs? Question re fitting.

Yep. Fire away.

whitebeach
14-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Yep. Fire away.

Any problems advice re fitting a 5.9 Victory with Lenco tim tans?

scottar
14-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Your biggest issue may be the auxiliary bracket. I'm not sure just how much the transom changed from the 5.9 to the 6.0 (motor well is a bit different and the steps are a different shape but not sure on the transom itself ) but I recently looked at fitting a set to a friends 6.0 and the auxiliary bracket position was going to necessitate the use of shorter actuators.

You will also have to cut access through the transom platforms - fairly easily done with the right size holesaw but you need to do some serious measuring first unless you intend making the holes massively oversize. I assembled mine on the bench and ran the tab through the full movement of the actuator so I could measure the variation in distance fore and aft where the actuator came through the step over the full range of movement. The platforms on the 6.0 will quite happily cover a 12x12 tab - personally I fitted 12x9's. I also ended up with one screw from each tab penetrating just above the height of the internal floor so just watch when you drill the holes that there is nothing in the way on the inside of the boat.

whitebeach
15-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Your biggest issue may be the auxiliary bracket. I'm not sure just how much the transom changed from the 5.9 to the 6.0 (motor well is a bit different and the steps are a different shape but not sure on the transom itself ) but I recently looked at fitting a set to a friends 6.0 and the auxiliary bracket position was going to necessitate the use of shorter actuators.

You will also have to cut access through the transom platforms - fairly easily done with the right size holesaw but you need to do some serious measuring first unless you intend making the holes massively oversize. I assembled mine on the bench and ran the tab through the full movement of the actuator so I could measure the variation in distance fore and aft where the actuator came through the step over the full range of movement. The platforms on the 6.0 will quite happily cover a 12x12 tab - personally I fitted 12x9's. I also ended up with one screw from each tab penetrating just above the height of the internal floor so just watch when you drill the holes that there is nothing in the way on the inside of the boat.

Thanks, we'll see how it goes!