PDA

View Full Version : Current shape seafarer v-sea owners

shakey55
10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I have a 2000 model V-Sea (only had for a very short time) and recently took it down the south coast for a weeks fishing offshore.

First few days back at ramp removed all four bungs and found a fair bit of water pouring out.

The hull is in perfect condition, no cracks or repaired sections. Transducer is through hull and is new and does not leak. I know this as I have had boat in still water and no water out of bungs.

Started getting headache trying to find problem. Next day out made sure bungs done up really tight. Back at ramp and water pouring our when bungs removed.

Next day in rougher sea and while fishing saw water in bilge full and lapping onto floor.

Pump water out and get down to see if I could find cause.

Then I found problem - as sea washed into motor well it was pouring in through the hole that engine cables go through.

Is there supposed to be something around cables to stop this occurring or is it a design fault.

All answers and suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noelm
10-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Not a design fault, the hole would have been drilled by the motor installers, lots just use silicon, but you can buy a slop stopper, which is a sort of grommet that you cut a small hole in and push all the cables through which sort of seals it up, but you have to disconnect everything to fit it properly.

scottar
10-04-2016, 06:38 PM
There is also a "skirt" type arrangement available or you can use a large diameter skin fitting and a length of appropriate sized hose to get the internal end high enough. Once again though everything needs to be disconnected. As Noel suggested, silicone will be the easiest and quickest option or you could fabricate a foam rubber cable entry arrangement with an individual hole for each cable. Each hole also requires a slit to allow the placement of the cable without disconnection.

shakey55
10-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks Noelm & Scottar. I think I'll go with silicone. Sounds a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noelm
10-04-2016, 08:44 PM
It's easier, but you need care not to make a mess, it isn't too hard, just take your time with it.

The Black Unicorn
10-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Had the same issue with my Yalta. Never really worried about it just flick the bilge pump on every now and then or better still get an auto one

Fed
11-04-2016, 08:33 AM
What have you got, two centre bungs and two outer bungs?

There should be no water at all coming from the outer bungs.

Got some spashwell and transom pictures?

I predict there's more to fix here than simply blocking up the cable entry in the splashwell.

airlock
11-04-2016, 10:12 PM
fill with silicone for an easy fix, a neater one can be achieved by cutting plastic or rubber to size and then just securing it with some silicone, although an automatic bilge pump would be my choice.