PDA

View Full Version : Advice for New Rod/Reel

leoantho
06-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Hi guys,

After fishing for eg bream, flatties, whiting, etc I'm looking to start targeting some larger species such as jews, bonito, salmon, tailor and maybe some rat kings in the area I fish. In the market for a new rod and reel combo and not sure where to start have a budget of around $500-700 happy to go cheaper if there is a good option there also.

I mainly fish estuary/river systems such as Port hacking and botany from land based and looking to get a boat soon too, but mainly land locked for now. My current setup is a 2500 Twinpower on a Daiwa TD Commander 1-3KG spooled with 8lb braid normally using 6-8lb fluro lead, normally fish using baits and sometimes SP but would be interested in using HB/Metals for the new outfish as well and bait.

Any advice/suggestions is much appreciated on a combo, line weight/leader, rigs, lures etc as this is new territory for me.

Thanks

Ringy35
08-04-2016, 04:55 PM
hey mate, my favourite all rounder is a Shimano TK3G 782 6-10kg rod with a Shimano stradic ci4 4000. I run 30lbs braid on it and have caught Barra, long tail tuna, Samson fish GT'S (little ones...) and pretty much anything u can think of with it!!! it is a nice long rod, awesome for casting, a good action for plastics and it's not too long to use in a boat.
it's definitely my favourite set up and for the fish u are after I reckon it'll be perfect and still light enough to keep the fun in it!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

evobda2
19-04-2016, 08:49 PM
If your after them maybe something around the 6-8kg with a 4000-5000 reel. Length around the 7-9ft mark. Line 20lb should be plenty.

Above is a good suggestion. I use my snapper setup a lot for similar..
7'3 4-7kg Patriarch XTR rod with a 4000 Stradic. With a 6-12kg Xtr rod and 6000sw Saragossa as backup if any bigger kings are about.

Plenty of good rod and reel options without breaking the bank in the above range too.