PDA

View Full Version : Deck wash kit

Dignity
05-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I was looking to install a small deck wash kit, nothing flash and saw this item which is about all I need, now I hardly ever buy anything online so has anyone had any deals with this dealer. I noticed that they list Big W as a collection point, is this the norm.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Amarine-Boat-Marine-Yacht-12V-5-0-GPM-60-PSI-WASHDOWN-DECK-WASH-PUMP-KIT/111804475190?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D19d742b481604141a0e fc9cf18099913%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D20%2 6sd%3D201233175507

Ringy35
05-04-2016, 08:58 PM
if it was me buying it mate I wouldn't be worried.... I've bought a lot of things off eBay and my Mrs nearly lives on it! he's sold a lot of items and has a good rating. free postage as well so I wouldn't worry about the collection point.
touch wood... I'm still yet to have a bad experience on ebay. people are running businesses through it so the last thing they want are negative comments on their page.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

shaungonemad
05-04-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure about the collection point I see a lot of people have that lately, if you get it posted it should only take a couple of days and always buy with PayPal.

Dignity
05-04-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure about the collection point I see a lot of people have that lately, if you get it posted it should only take a couple of days and always buy with PayPal.
Thats the bit I was wondering about

shakey55
06-04-2016, 05:07 AM
I've not had any dealings with the dealer, but you will see that he has sold 5131 items and has a 99.9% positive feedback. These are the things you need to look at when dealing with eBay sales.

As for drop off point, that is nothing to worry about. If you use it, what happens is the seller uses a courier or similar to transport you item to a drop off point, such as your nominated Woolworths Store and you collect it from them. It's a relatively new concept but works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fisho64
10-04-2016, 11:09 AM
just get it posted to you, easy

goona
10-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Hi Dignity,

I have been looking at the exact same ones an just about to buy off Ebay. My existing deck wash probably as old as the boat (15 Years now) keeps blowing the fuse as soon as it is not flowing so had a pretty good run. I like the look of them as there doesn't seem to be that much metal that will rust like the one I have at the moment. Looks like good flow rate and pressure so I will probably do the same as the specs that you are getting are better for heaps cheaper than you can get at the like of Whitworths etc. I was the same as you and never bought on line but after moving to Gladstone where every thing was a rip off I started buying on line. Everything from batteries to razors. Had a couple of issues but I always pay by Paypal and let them sort it out. The 3 issues I had were all dealt with and sorted out. As the others have stated look at his feed back and it looks all good so I doubt you will have any dramas with him.

Goona

Dignity
11-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys, I will be getting one but probably replacing the hose as I don't need 25 feet of it. The next thing I have to look at is where to place the pick up and also integrate it with a live bait well. BOAT should be spelt BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand'Several

Smithy
11-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Looks good. Looks exactly like a Jabsco. Probably OEM out of the same factory in China. Let us know how it performs. I am getting well and truly 18 months out of my Jabscos and they are probably running 1,000+ hours a year for my live bait tank and it is teed off for my deck wash.

Dignity
11-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks Smithy, will have to have a closer look at your setup next time we go out, are you running the Jabsco as both live bait and deck wash, most things I've looked at have a pump for live bait with a takeoff to the deck wash pump. I was hoping to do away with one of the pumps.

Aussie123
11-04-2016, 05:25 PM
A lot of deck wash pumps are not continuous rated so you need to pick the right motor if you want to run them as a bait pump

Dignity
11-04-2016, 06:45 PM
A lot of deck wash pumps are not continuous rated so you need to pick the right motor if you want to run them as a bait pump

Aussie, from what I've seen most live bait setups have a small half inch (possibly smaller) pick up, I would think that a three quarter inch would be better, good point on continuous rating.
I don't need a long hose or a great amount of pressure, just enough to hose away a bit of blood and some of the crap that tuskies and other fish can discharge.

goona
11-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Hi Dignity,

I bought and picked up this one tonight. Looks the same as the other ones but $35 cheaper. Hopefully go the distance. If not I just bought an expensive hose and Gun

Dignity
12-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Hi Dignity,

I bought and picked up this one tonight. Looks the same as the other ones but $35 cheaper. Hopefully go the distance. If not I just bought an expensive hose and Gun

Hi Goona, was there meant to be a link attached.

cwcarter
12-04-2016, 01:29 PM
I didn't come across any continuously rated deck wash pumps when I was looking for my set up so ended up getting 2 Jabsco pumps.
I've only used them a couple of times but they work great.

The deck wash is the same as your normal household garden hose pressure wise and I wouldn't worry about the length of the spiral hose. It allows you to get right up front if needed but being spiral is quite compact.

The bait tank pump is a continuous rated suction type and works well with the 33ltr tank.I will be adding a timer later on for automatic use.

All my connecting hoses are 19mm internal and the bulk head fitting where the deck wash is connected to is just a tank fitting from bunnings.

112811 112812 112813 112814 112815

Dignity
12-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Cwcarter, looks good and neat, just trying to work through all the fittings especially through hull fittings as I only want to drill one hole if possible to accommodate both a live bait pump and a deck wash.

scottar
12-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Cwcarter, looks good and neat, just trying to work through all the fittings especially through hull fittings as I only want to drill one hole if possible to accommodate both a live bait pump and a deck wash.

Definitely possible. Might just require a bit more imagination with your plumbing or choice of the right pumps with incorporated take offs. Make sure you add in a ball valve in your input. Really useful when your cheap a#$e pump housing decides to crack and let the ocean in - don't ask. Not happy Jan. The only issue you may have is if you provide a path via the input where a pump can suck air through the other pump rather than water

Aussie123
12-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend, a good dual purpose pump is the SHURFLO BAIT SENTRY 800GPH 12V
They are also available in a 1100GPH

scottar
12-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend, a good dual purpose pump is the SHURFLO BAIT SENTRY 800GPH 12V
They are also available in a 1100GPH

That is one I have used before on my BIL's old rig that does have a secondary input to connect your wash down pump to. It's not a dual purpose (pressure) pump but does allow one skin fitting to feed both pumps easily. There are some comments on the net about how loud this pump is but personally I don't recall any hideous amount of noise when using it. I don't think they are a self priming unit - we mounted it directly onto the ball valve that was attached to the inside of the through hull scoop / strainer.

cwcarter
12-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Are the shurflo's below waterline?
I have only the one inlet under the boat with the pipe ending up above water line. I was worried the suction pumps might suck air from each other but they don't.

Dignity
12-04-2016, 09:05 PM
I think I need to do a "circuit diagram" for what I want, not sure about the facts still.

goona
12-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Hi Goona, was there meant to be a link attached.

Sorry Dignity Heres the link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DECK-WASH-KIT-70-PSI-12V-Washdown-Kit-Boat-Pressure-Pump-NEW/131734771706?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Def9346360c264c1a987 d58c321cb6332%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26 mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D131372840682

scottar
12-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Are the shurflo's below waterline?
I have only the one inlet under the boat with the pipe ending up above water line. I was worried the suction pumps might suck air from each other but they don't.

The Bait Sentry series with the "magnetic clutch" is. Other series may or may not be.

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine/911_trouble_shooting/911-466-K.pdf

Dignity
12-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Deleted . Duplicate post

Dignity
12-04-2016, 10:35 PM
The Bait Sentry series with the "magnetic clutch" is. Other series may or may not be.

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine/911_trouble_shooting/911-466-K.pdf
I think I need to get out of retirement and go back to uni to figure all this out especially if I add the deck wash into the equation. I remember when we used to fish the Toyota comp on Fraser and we had to keep our catch live all night we had a drum on the back of the truck and we constantly drained the bottom layer of water to get rid of the dirty water and ammonia etc.

Dignity
13-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Scottar, after a good night's sleep I have reread the shurflo pdf and it is interesting that the pump impeller must be below the waterline. I have an Allison Vision, it has a pod and duck boards and I was hoping to Install a pump on the duck board with the scoop through it, this places the impeller above the water line, was planning on something like this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/rule-fc-tournament-series-aerator-pump-seacock-application-straight-pickup-tube-with-tapered-threads?a=707598
other issue I now realize is a second hole will be required for the waste discharge, how could I have forgotten that.

Maybe I just need to sell this one and buy another boat with all the bells and whistles.

cwcarter
13-04-2016, 08:50 AM
That one is below water line as well. You want a self priming diaphragm pump above water.

Lovey80
13-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Are any deck wash pumps made all or predominantly out of plastic yet? For all the ones I've installed, the amount of work they actually get before they rust out is horrendous.

PixieAU
13-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Just something I have been thinking of and it's not perfect but using a bilge pump on a bracket over the side of the boat and plug it in (to power) when I need it.

Smithy
13-04-2016, 02:24 PM
IMHO the pressure type pumps are able to draw a bit of head. Not sure how much but in the boat situation, you'll be fine.

Dignity
13-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Are any deck wash pumps made all or predominantly out of plastic yet? For all the ones I've installed, the amount of work they actually get before they rust out is horrendous.

Is it the outside or do the insides rust out. I remember a water tank pump I had required that it run at least once a week otherwise it would rust up solid?

scottar
13-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Scottar, after a good night's sleep I have reread the shurflo pdf and it is interesting that the pump impeller must be below the waterline. I have an Allison Vision, it has a pod and duck boards and I was hoping to Install a pump on the duck board with the scoop through it, this places the impeller above the water line, was planning on something like this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/rule-fc-tournament-series-aerator-pump-seacock-application-straight-pickup-tube-with-tapered-threads?a=707598
other issue I now realize is a second hole will be required for the waste discharge, how could I have forgotten that.

Maybe I just need to sell this one and buy another boat with all the bells and whistles.

That one won't self prime either. You could mount a small rule or similar on the transom on a stainless bracket with a pick up tube and simply run the hose up over the transom and into the boat with the outboard wiring / steering lines. Personally though I think you are better off with a proper through hull pick up, ball valve and then the necessary pumps / plumbing.

The drain for the bait tank can utilize the drain in the bottom by using a length of pipe of the right diameter to fit snugly in the drain hole like so
112837 This eliminates the need for another hole and is cut to length to set the depth. The "T" on the end stops bait fish blocking all of the entry points and thus flooding the tank to the point of overflowing. This is assuming that there is a drain in the bottom of your tank and it is large enough to handle the flow requirements.

scottar
13-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Is it the outside or do the insides rust out. I remember a water tank pump I had required that it run at least once a week otherwise it would rust up solid?

Both in the long run.

Dignity
13-04-2016, 09:09 PM
That one won't self prime either. You could mount a small rule or similar on the transom on a stainless bracket with a pick up tube and simply run the hose up over the transom and into the boat with the outboard wiring / steering lines. Personally though I think you are better off with a proper through hull pick up, ball valve and then the necessary pumps / plumbing.

The drain for the bait tank can utilize the drain in the bottom by using a length of pipe of the right diameter to fit snugly in the drain hole like so
112837 This eliminates the need for another hole and is cut to length to set the depth. The "T" on the end stops bait fish blocking all of the entry points and thus flooding the tank to the point of overflowing. This is assuming that there is a drain in the bottom of your tank and it is large enough to handle the flow requirements.
Yep, I'm almost convinced, buy another boat already set up but then I wonder if whoever set it up knew what they were doing, every post seems to raise another technical issue that needs to be resolved.

scottar
13-04-2016, 09:28 PM
It's not difficult - just a little daunting to take the hole saws to your pride and joy if you are new to it - measure twice, drill once. Once you get into it half the enjoyment/ satisfaction is doing it yourself.

Lovey80
13-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Usually the outsides but once they get rusty they don't last long after that.

Dignity
14-04-2016, 07:37 AM
It's not difficult - just a little daunting to take the hole saws to your pride and joy if you are new to it - measure twice, drill once. Once you get into it half the enjoyment/ satisfaction is doing it yourself.
Been there done that and then wondered why I went down that path. Lets see if i got this right, thethe pump I posted (the one with the extra take off point)is, that for the deck was pump to work this one would need to be running whether I am using the live bait well or not, if that is the case then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I do have hole in the transom I can use for the inlet pipe to go through as there is a slop stopper where a previous owner had replaced the failed hydraulic steering with a cable one, since replaced. It is the outlet for the live bait well that I need to make another hole. The Allison doesn't have the width in the transom to build a live well in it so in all likely hood be built from the floor up which means this outlet will be very low to the waterline and space is tight for everything in these conditions.

scottar
14-04-2016, 08:02 PM
No - the second take off is on the input side prior to the impeller. It does need to be mounted below water line though. If you did this externally it would then mean two hoses up the back and through the transom. You could try plumbing the input for the deck wash into the output from the bait pump once it was through the transom and draw water through the bait pump but you would need a fitting at the tank entry that could shut off the line to prevent the deck wash from potentially sucking air. With the bait tank, I would simply have an outlet at the required height to set the depth - this will be well above water line, and a bung for draining the tank at the end of the day straight to the bilge.

Dignity
15-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Ok, got it, the pump can be mounted below the duck board and the pipes only will show above. When under way though there must be a fair amount of turbulence under the duckboard, this might impinge on the performance of the pump.

Oceanic Dave
15-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Collecting at Woolworths or BIG W - is the latest from Ebay. Does work.

scottar
15-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Ok, got it, the pump can be mounted below the duck board and the pipes only will show above. When under way though there must be a fair amount of turbulence under the duckboard, this might impinge on the performance of the pump.

That's why you normally just use a standard bilge pump on a bracket with a scoop

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Bilge-Pump-Water-Scoop.aspx?pid=224453#Recommendations

It necessitates drilling a small hole in the base of the pump where the scoop pipe sits and allows the scoop to force water (due to forward momentum) directly into the pumps impeller.

Dignity
03-05-2016, 06:36 AM
I very come up with several options so far but I will need to take some photos and do some drawings to show them, I will do so today and post later. Very close investigations show that previously there had been a hole drilled through the transom and duckboard which has since been filled in (near as I can tell I am the fifth owner, in past life I thought I could make out the name Ricochet before I cut and polished her) which I would hope to utilize.

Dignity
03-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Ok, waiting for my mobile mechanic to show up but he is caught in gridlock trying to get through, bloody govt pours heaps of money into roads to the Gold Coast but the Sunshine Coast is in the too hard basket. Ok had my rant for the day, so having more time up my sleeve than anticipated I decide to do have another look at the live bait well, deck wash idea.
I have occasional dealings with Sea Trek Marine here on the coast and Al have me a couple of fittings to play with, namely a scoop for the deck wash and a scooped bracket to hold a bait pump, the tube scoop can easily be modified to suit my needs. I am hoping not to need the scooped bracket.

Now I found some previously drilled holes in the transom that had been filled, I’d noticed the one inside earlier but thought it was a crack in the gelcoat and hadn’t realised what it was. The hole is 45mm centre above the duckboard and inside the transom 175 mm above the deck floor.

Now I was hoping to still only drill the one inlet hole for both the live bait pump and the deck wash, I will still need an outlet for the live bait tank but that is not an issue. The other problem is that there isn’t much room on the port side as this is where the transducer was installed, not a problem with a pod boat but reduces available room with both transducer and trim tabs. What I had thought of doing was using a Rule 401C pump with a bypass for the deck wash however two issues immediately spring to mind:
1. I don’t know the thickness of the transom but even so how would I manage to get a 90 degree bend so close to the transom for the pickup tube.
2. Even if I get the pump installed through the transom should the pump be protected with a filter, I did have in mind a 19 mm inline filter that is used for irrigation purposes. The only place this could go with this set up is below the duck board which in itself will be an issue as it can only be cleaned when the boat is out of the water. The deck wash would have its own filter after the bypass but would this also mean a flow reduction.
Now as the pod is around waterline level do I need the pickup, I imagine it would as it can be in and out at times offshore but if not would one of these connected to the bottom of the pod do the trick.

Edit, worked out how to connect in option 1, get a 90 degree fitting, put it in place and rotate the pump from inside.