PDA

View Full Version : blue crab fishing rules

guypepper
29-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi all;

So I have been fishing/crabbing out of Rogues Point SA (near ardrossan) now ever since I was knee high to a grass hopper at my Granddads shack and as with all old people we always fished his way the way he has always done it, now with him passing and leaving the holiday house to me and me buying a new boat I thought I better figure out the actual rules for Blue crabbing. So at the moment we are using suicide nets we call them THESE (http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=crab_dilly_12_p ly_witches_hat_12381), there has always been 2 of us in the boat and we have always ran with 7 nets. With the new laws I have done some reading but done 100% understand it so I thought id ask.
What I would like to do is have my 5 normal fishing rods for myself and my dad in the top rod holders and run through the crab nets for 2 hours go back into shore, its about a 500 meter walk through the sludge at low tide with all the crabs making it to hard to bring in the crab nets and taking the rods back out every time then go back out in the arvo for fish still with the nets and rods in the boat but by the fishing laws it looks like I can only have either rods or nets in the boats at any one time.
So can I leave all the rods in the morning in the rod holders with no hooks on them? is this good enough to get around our problem and leave all the nets under the half cabin in the afternoon, to be 100% honest we NEVER fish while we crab and we NEVER crab while we fish, we pick 1 thing and target it exclusively.
Also looking at trying some new nets THESE (http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/catalogue/fishing/netting/crab-pots-floats-ropes/deluxe-heavy-duty-4-entry-crab-pot.html) just as a test to start with to see if i prefer them to the suicide nets can I use these in SA and can I use the 7 like I normally do?

cheers for any help/advice

Noelm
29-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Probably better to get onto the SA fisheries web site and see what the regulations are, laws vary from state to state, those dillies/witches hats are no longer legal in QLD, but OK in NSW, so SA will be different again.