PDA

View Full Version : Bearing change issue.

airlock
26-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Now don't laugh, i'm still one of the idiots using a trailer when we all knows it's far cheaper and easier to buy 4 helicopters and air lift the boat to the ramp, call me old fashioned.

But the time and money pit i like to call a trailer has developed a small issue when i attempted to change the bearings. The hub slid right off but the large bearing at the back is stuck on the axle, think cement.
Whats the best way to remove this stuck bearing, a hammer and drift resulted in the rollers and outer cup coming away but the internal still stuck fast.

Noelm
26-03-2016, 06:39 PM
A couple of options, continue to use the hammer and drift, get a thin cutting disc and put a cut in it, heat it up and use the hammer, or oxy it to bits as a last resort, it's a pretty common thing.

airlock
26-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Ill give the grinder a go after some gentle persuasion with the sledge hammer then, thanks for the tips.

Noelm
26-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Just get a thin cutting disc and put a single cut across the bearing, even if you touch the axle, it won't hurt, the new bearing will still sit on OK, but usually a bit of heat, and a good whack will see it come off.

RayLamp
26-03-2016, 07:23 PM
An option left of field would be one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Stanley-Gear-Puller-3-Jaw-100mm.aspx?pid=12540#Recommendations

Gon Fishun
26-03-2016, 07:24 PM
If you are going to give it a whack, wrap on old rag around it. Chips can fly off and are dangerous.

Noelm
26-03-2016, 07:36 PM
There is not enough space behind the bearing to get any sort of puller in there, heat, cut or hammer....

brett62
27-03-2016, 07:53 AM
If you have a welder you can run a small bead of weld and hit it with some water and you will get it off with your hand.

airlock
28-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Right brains trust another one for you. The old bearings came off with some gentle persuasion from the grinder, the new ford bearings that fit perfectly on the rear hub/axle rattle around inside the front hub and won't fit on the axle. I'm assuming larger axle and larger hub needing a new set if bearings, it looks like the rear axle has been replaced while the front is still original. are there any issues sounding having differently sized axles front and rear. If i'm honest it looks like most of the maintenance was done with the assistance of gentlemen jim and jack.

sandbank pete
28-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Hey Airlock, sounds like you pinched my trailer.... Now give it back!!! Aahh hang on a sec. NOOOO

Feral
28-03-2016, 03:27 PM
As long as the axles are up for it, no it doesn't matter if things are miss matched, just a pain in the patoosi!
Odds are the front one is braked and runs heavier running gear and has been that way since new. back axle is probably just a std lazy axle also fitted as new. Nothing like saving a few bob in the build..

Noelm
28-03-2016, 04:03 PM
As long as you know which bearings fit what, it doesn't make any difference, just a pain for buying spares.

airlock
28-03-2016, 10:25 PM
it is intact the front braked axle with the larger bearings, well done. don't you just love trailers!

NAGG
29-03-2016, 06:14 AM
it is intact the front braked axle with the larger bearings, well done. don't you just love trailers!

No !

Actually your thread is a good little reminder of why regular trailer maintenance is of importance .... Imagine that failure if on the road & then finding out that you don't have the right bearings .
Additionally bearings / races are easier to remove - brake calliper bolts are less likely to seize etc

Chris

inveratta
29-03-2016, 07:18 AM
I know the pain your going through....decided to check/ replace bearings on my old tinka tandem this easter...and when you get to it theres always a suprise or two....rust never sleeps....only replaced one bearing.. but a lot of the lug nuts were very tight..the brake adjuster had seized up and some of the drain holes in the frame were blocked.As a result of this Ive added a small gas torch to the box of tricks I carry on the 800km round trip tow I do...