PDA

View Full Version : Life expectancy of life Vests

Scott Ashe
11-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Afternoon All,

In our junk mail this morning we received a BCF Catologue. They are advertising the Great PFD Amnesty where you will receive 20% of a Brand New PFD, if you bring in your old one. $1 of every sale will be donated to your local marine rescue authority.

My question is my life jacket is a COBRA Jacket with buckles that was manufactured in October 2003. (I purchased new in May 2004) and while it is still in VGC, (as is all my gear) How long should something like this last, as this has got me thinking about replacing it.?

Cheers
Scott

Moonlighter
11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Inflatable lifejackets have "use by" dates, but as far as I know, the normal jackets for recreational use don't.

Tney simply have to be in good serviceable condition, things like stitching, straps, buckles etc all in good condition, not rusty, and the whole thing not putrid with mould.

So i think its a clever marketing ploy from BCF.

Feral
12-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Normal life jackets really only need replacing when the Govt changes the rules on life jackets and decrees the old ones will no longer save your life. (It either floats or it don't!, its not rocket science and shouldn't need new rules every few years).

Jeremy
12-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Pretty sure there will be be some deterioration and weakening of the fabric from UV rays and the effects of salt over time. Might not be visible, but could be an issue if you had to use it.

Gon Fishun
12-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I had a couple of kids PDF1 which where kept in the shed, dry and out of the sun, and hadn't been used for maybe 2 years. When I took them out, the webbing for the buckles had all but turned to powder. The rest of the jackets where good.
It would pay to put tension on these and see if they hold up.

Scott Ashe
12-03-2016, 12:49 PM
I do wear my jacket every time I go out without fail and it would appear to me that all straps and webbing etc are in good working order but I will check them again next time.

ericcs
12-03-2016, 02:17 PM
all they need a 12mthly self inspection.here is a pdf from axis pdf's!

http://www.axispfds.com.au/serviceyourinflatablepfd/