PDA

View Full Version : Life jackets Nsw

bluefin59
06-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I am heading to the Clarence river in cockroach county for Easter ,my boat is 4.5 mt and we are wondering whether a life jacket is mandatory for the two of us while in the river it seems so the way I read the regs but some up to date advice would be good as I will go and buy 2 inflatables for fishing the river if that is the case . I know I need a fishing liscense to fish there but is there anything else I need to be aware of so as not to get my ass kicked buy the hostile locals.... Matt

Triple
06-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Children under 12 years of age

At all times in a vessel under 4.8 m
When in an open area of a vessel 4.8 m – 8 mthat is underway:

On enclosed and alpine waters: Level 100+, 50 or 50S
On open (ocean) waters: Level 100+

On all boats less than 4.8m (unless specified)

All occupants on enclosed waters when:

Boating at night: Level 100+, 50 or 50S
Boating alone (without an accompanying adult aged 16 or older, licenced person or support vessel): Level 100+, 50 or 50S

At all times on open waters: Level 100+
At all times on alpine waters: Level 100+, 50 or 50S.

In addition to the above:

At all times if the vessel is being used more than 200 m from the shore to transport people or goods between the shore and a vessel, or between vessels:Level 100+ (open waters), Level 100+, 50 or 50S (enclosed and alpine waters).

Crossing coastal bars

All vessels, everyone on board: As per open waters requirement for vessel type.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/lifejackets-text-description.html

Triple
06-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Also go through all the other safety gear nsw requires as there are a few differences to qld regs eg: fire extinguisher on any vessel with a battery/fuel source etc -

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/safety-equipment-table.html

bluefin59
06-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks , that's how I read it so its of to bcf for a couple of inflatables as we have vest type pfd 1 s but they will be too hot to wear all day . A whistle and a local chart of the area are the only other things I see I don't have so I will get those as well as I would like to try and sneak out the front of the Clarence looking for a snapper maybe ....Matt

bundylundy
06-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Also leave your cast net at home. You are not allowed to even have them on the boat in NSW.

bluefin59
06-03-2016, 12:28 PM
No castnet in my boat and thanks for the tip , looking at taking the wife outside on a charter with reel time fishing charters while we are their as well ..Matt