PDA

View Full Version : New Boat - Stacer Baymaster 449

Bantam
04-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Hi all, boating novice (complete newby actually) here. I have a Stacer Baymaster 449 on order with Evinrude 60hp outboard and Stacer alloy trailer. Having done as much research online as possible and originally preferring a 4 stroke OB the dealer i purchased through uses the E'rude factory fitted from Telwater as standard and ive gone with that despite some negative opinions online. I am probably swayed by the Hi Tec version of the old marine small boat stalwart - the 2 stroke OB. My Grandfather had an old stessl boat with E'rude outboard that i went fishing on as a kid - a happy memory for me which perhaps tipped me also. I would love to hear from people who actually own and run an Evinrude ETec particularly the 40-50-60 series and either put my mind at rest or raise my worry factor further! Thanks

PixieAU
04-03-2016, 08:15 PM
My advice, now that you've got one, don't go looking for problems which may never happen. Just get out there and enjoy it!

Even if you're looking for good things you'll still find bad things.

TruBlue
04-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Welcome to boating Bantam
Congrats on the new boat sounds like a great combo mate, take Pixie's advise b excited n don't start second guessing yourself lol I have been know to do that to myself as well
They r all good machines these days
service it Regularly and it will look after you
That goes for all motor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottar
04-03-2016, 09:07 PM
You will get all sorts of responses in relation to the E-Tec. I, much like yourself was hesitant but ultimately the only hull I could find second hand 5 years ago, that I was happy with had a 200HO on it. That engine is now 10 years old and running strong - can't complain. Like all modern outboards, one of the most critical things is fuel quality. If your dealer hasn't fitted an external water separating filter - get one and never, ever use ethanol blended fuel.

Bantam
04-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I take it that a fuel water separator would not be standard fit for my boat and motor kit?? Dealer has never mentioned anything!! Bring On Another Thous....... well couple of hundred i'm guessing!! (hoping!!)

scottar
05-03-2016, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the responses. I take it that a fuel water separator would not be standard fit for my boat and motor kit?? Dealer has never mentioned anything!! Bring On Another Thous....... well couple of hundred i'm guessing!! (hoping!!)

Some dealers would supply them as standard but not all so check before you shell out any coin. Less than $100 at Whitworths - get the one with the clear sediment bowl so you can easily check for water

StevenM
05-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Easy to do yourself mate if it's not fitted

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=34355&search123=Fuel+filter&intAbsolutePage=1

should be able to have your dealer to do for $100 bucks.

littlejim
05-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Suspect that there is also a fuel filter on the port side of the motor, if it is like my 70 evinrude.
Recommend putting marks on it before getting the motor serviced.
One mob i used didn't change it at a service, and when they went broke, the next bloke I went to for service showed that the motor was stuffed inside (running lean I guess) so I'm now on my second evinrude.
I had(have) a second in line filter near the tank with bowl etc.

Bantam
06-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the tips - I will definitely get the fuel/water filter. Do you use standard unleaded, 95 or 98? do you add a fuel stabilizer? and what are peoples thoughts on the three year 300h service interval? Do you service annually/100hourly anyway or let it run the full distance? Thanks again

Flex
07-03-2016, 04:36 PM
for small motors I'm a huge etec fan. Trying to plane a tinny on 4 stroke power can be a pain. you/ll like the punchiness of 2 stroke.

Big HP etecs are a different story. Cost of the oil starts to get a bit ridiculous. at cruise speed they use 50:1, so 40l of fuel from a tinny day trip is fine. 400l used for a trip in a big boat the oil cost starts to get silly. Plus if you don't live in a capital city it can also be a pain to source Ive found. in your case I would be happy with the etec.

winston
07-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Just bought a new rig. It is a 2016 Quintrex "Busta" (dealer fit side console) with a 30 Etec that has power trim and tilt. So far I have done 3 trips and travelled approximately 70 nm. This is my first Etec ( I have a 2015 Mercury 60 command thrust on my other boat) and so far I am impressed. There is no "run in" necessary and the oil usage even at double usage for the first 10 hours has been negligible. I had a 2012 Mercury 30 on a 4.27 Clark runabout which was also very nice but you can't beat the hole shot of a two stroke. The reviews I have read will say that the fuel consumption of an Etec is as good or better than an equivalent two stroke. I plan to service mine just before the three year warranty expires. My only criticism to date is that it is a little louder than I expected. Enjoy you new boat and as noted by Pixie no need to look for issues that aren't there, p. s. there has been a very slight oil smell albeit seldom which is understandable considering it is on double oil whilst running in and my dealer (Caloundra Marine) fitted a water separator as standard. Cheers Winston.

Bantam
08-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks again folks - good to hear people happy with their E-TEC's. Anyone out there who actually has a 60?? Still waiting for response to see if my boat will have the FW sep filter as standard. Love the Caloundra Marine youtube vids!!!

Camhawk88
09-03-2016, 09:00 AM
No- do not wait for the 300hours before service- it is a sales gimmick.
If you have the manual and read the fine print it will mention that the 300hours applies to freshwater use only. I believe saltwater use demands a 100hour service.

Bantam
09-03-2016, 12:22 PM
I thought as much - mine will be in salt mostly. Does a boat ie hull etc of this sort require any dealer maintenance/servicing to maintain the Telwater/Stacer warranty? Re the cracked welding issues that get raised sometimes with these boats - is this still an issue? The Baymaster/Seaway series all now have 3mm bottom sides - does this help solve that problem? Anyone with a more recent similar Telwater boat (3mm bottoms) any thoughts/experiences? Thanks again for all the great tips and responses.

Noelm
09-03-2016, 02:18 PM
With normal use I don't think cracking is going to be a problem, just use the boat and enjoy it. A simple wash with some quality car wash is about all that is required to look after the hull

sandbank pete
09-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Bantam, I've got a 130 etec on the back of my boat and just had the three year service done on the motor as the book says.. I have also had the recommended yearly ones done as it gets only salt water use.. this interim service does not include things like plugs etc., and it is cheap insurance.
When I did my homework before I repowered my boat, It did come down to power to weight and the Etec was what I decided on and happy with my decision. I bought it from one dealer (south of the Brisbane river) who I wont name as the saying goes.. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.. I have been getting it serviced at Caloundra Marine and Darren and the guys there are brilliant!!

Bantam
22-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Update!!
My new E-TEC 60 has not missed a beat in 3 outings now and I am perfectly satisfied with its performance so far. My boat came set up with the fuel water separator filter - not with a clear reservoir however. Loving being an E-TEC/Stacer owner :-) Seems like a brilliant package for a new boating family like us. The Baymaster has impressive stability at rest even with all five of us moving about, Of course the wet weather curse has now hit worse luck. Happy boating!