PDA

View Full Version : Snapper rod holders

Still_Dreamin
24-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Gday all
on an impulse I bought port and starboard "snapper rod holders" for my boat. They are the three flat rod holders that sit into the one in the gunwales. My question is how do use them? I am shite scared a fish will hit and take off with my rod.
Any advice or experiences

cheers

Crunchy
24-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Sell up and move to Victoriia :P

scottar
25-02-2016, 05:01 AM
It does take a while to "trust" them. I use a pair for whiting and bream fishing at anchor. Not sure I would use them for heavy gear though. Easiest way is with rods that have a but section long enough that the reel sits in front of the holder with spin gear - I usually have the metal frame sitting in front of the rear hood on the reel seat. With baitcasters I tend to sit the reel behind the front of the frame.

rtp1984
25-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Hey mate.
They a designed to be used at anchor, while float lining.
You should be putting your rod in them with an open bail, or on bait runner mode, of at least a very light drag.
There should be limited pressure on the rod holder itself.

If if you are concerned, make up a few tethers for you rods.

Cheers
Rob

bugsytwoshoes
25-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Hi mate,I looked at those rodholders myself at a big tackle store recently . I did not like the way the rods fitted into the plastic rod holder part , it looked to easy for the rod and reel to come out of the rod holder. The slit or cutaway on the top of the holder did not allow for the rod to slip down far enough into the holder and you were left with most of the rod butt and reel sticking too far out of the holder. I would try and replace them if you could with the stainless steel ones for ten dollars more. Although the stainless steel type cannot be adjusted. I can see you losing a rod and reel for sure with those rodholders, The only thing would be to tie the rod onto the boat but that would be a pain.

bugsytwoshoes
25-02-2016, 07:18 AM
That type of holder is better to be used with a non angled gunnel holder so you can fish out the side of the boat. If you have the angled gunnel holders (as most boats have) you can only fish with your rods facing the rear.

patrol50
25-02-2016, 03:41 PM
be vary wary of them watched a unrestrained saragosa 8000 and a Tcurve bounce twice and disappear over the side of the boat at hinchinbrook some years ago - mate still weeps about it :'(

odes20
25-02-2016, 03:53 PM
be vary wary of them watched a unrestrained saragosa 8000 and a Tcurve bounce twice and disappear over the side of the boat at hinchinbrook some years ago - mate still weeps about it :'(
That would be weeping and gnashing of teeth 😖 Sheeesh

patrol50
26-02-2016, 11:16 AM
cheers odes 20 - always hard to watch a grown man cry ;D - if we handt seen a decent size croc not too far from where we were anchored i reckon mate would have gone straight in after it :o

Dignity
29-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Go to the reject shops and get a couple of dog leashes, clip them on and away you go, only about $3 or $4 each. Spray them with wd40 first and they will last the distance.

Still_Dreamin
01-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Went down to Broadwater and Nerang River last weekend but was too scared to use them. Was going to try putting an occy strap across the rods but leash thing sounds good. Need to be able to get rod up quickly