PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin 5950

BigE
20-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Looking for some ausfish wisdom and knowledge.

Just acquired a Goodwin 5950 for a reasonable price and was looking for any kind of info on them. there an odd design but my first run head on into some sharp morten bay chop had me smiling an more than a little curious as why i have seen more of them. It went really well and was dry as for an open boat, was my first drive so i don't know if there were any tips on how to drive them or how to distribute the weight for the best ride.

the hull is very flat at the back and it is long and narrow will a sharp front it doesn't look like it should work but the ride is a real eye opener, keen to hear any comments or info on this hull.....it just might be a keeper.

BigE

mitc69
21-02-2016, 06:43 AM
well yesterday was smooth water with a massive 39degree heat! wouldnt call that a testing lol surpise u manage to find anything sharp :D.. but no far i remember goodwin were all long boats, so i doubt it cross boaties mind to get a long boat over a half cubby

Crunchy
21-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Wellcome to the world of the longboat Big E! What are you comparing to?

gofishin
21-02-2016, 08:49 AM
... my first run head on into some sharp morten bay chop had me smiling an more than a little curious as why i have seen more of them. It went really well and was dry as for an open boat...

the hull is very flat at the back and it is long and narrow will a sharp front it doesn't look like it should work but the ride is a real eye opener...Welcome to the long-boat world Ian :) . Bit different to the old Quinny eh? (think this is what you had).

Can't help with the Goodwin at all, never owned a long boat either, but have been in a few and witnessed them many times over in atrocious tropical seas doing things they shouldn't be subjected to - and most of the time being massively overloaded! But that's PNG for you [emoji1].

Enjoy!

Cheers
Brendon

PS. Think the Goodwins have come up here once or twice over the years, do a search & you might find some info.

BigE
21-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Hi MITC69
First run was last week (25-30s) so not as calm as sat. - went for a quick run today just out from Caboolture river and across to scarbie and back to make sure i was mistaken on the first run.
Crunchy
wasn't rally comparing it directly to any particular boat just found it rode surprisingly well, looking at the flat hull at the back i certainly did not think it would ride so smooth.
Go Fishin still got the quinny but the long boat thing has got me thinking. it has a good motor and trailer but the hull needs some attention and a good tidy up was just going to do it in the shed but i like so much i'm thinking of getting it done right. done a bit of a search but not much info comes up mostly stuff about UB's and hookers.

BigE

Jeremy
21-02-2016, 03:05 PM
done a bit of a search but not much info comes up mostly stuff about UB's and hookers.

You sure you were searching for boats?

Shark Poker
21-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Creeek as the closet doors open and longboat aficionados step out and onto the forum...

BigE, I acquired a Goodwin last year that was damaged and in need of repair.

It's all good now and I really like it.

ranmar850
21-02-2016, 10:11 PM
I still miss my UB 19.

Crunchy
22-02-2016, 06:57 AM
I still miss my UB 19.

You hear that quite a lot. Very verstatile boats, head upstream in 0.2M of water or outwide to the offshore reefs without too much problem.

Crunchy
22-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Actually looking to put mine on the market soon, Southern Star UB580, VGC and 100% reliable, only selling to get something more family orientated I.e. a cabin :-? would have two boats if I could.

There is no real trick to driving them other than getting the speed right, if the chop is short you can skip over the top very nicely but if bit more swell then slow down and just mosy along riding over the the waves.

ranmar850
22-02-2016, 10:44 AM
You hear that quite a lot. Very verstatile boats, head upstream in 0.2M of water or outwide to the offshore reefs without too much problem.

Best riding hull into a head sea I've ever owned, very dry for a CC. Only issue was fore and aft trim, ie, accelerating from rest with a load aft, being narrow. Cured by fitting a foil. Didn't need to touch the trim between rest and planing after fitting that, previously needed to do the trim in/trim out thing every time.

BigE
22-02-2016, 07:44 PM
anyone had the floor up in a goodwin keen to know what there like in the stringer area.

BigE

BigE
22-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Jeremy
well it was late at night ........ definately boats mate

3rd degree
24-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Haven't seen under the floor, but seen plenty of Goodwins over the years and they're pretty good...

I own a 580 Southwind and can't speak highly enough of the longboat style of boat. Don't need huge power and the ride is awesome.

Gavin Goodwin's a good bloke and if your struggling for info I reckon look
them up and have a chat. Factory was up Ingham a few years back.

Cheers

jim

BigE
25-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks Jim , i have looked up the web site but it looks like it has been closed. any northern boys on the board know if Gavin Goodwin is still around at all.

The Mad Cat
26-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Last I heard he was a guide at ET's fishing lodge in the NT. That was a few of years ago now.

TMC

BigE
28-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mad Cat,
still looking for any info on these hulls , looked at a new (larger) console looks like it could run into about 2K but it will be big enough to keep everything in and keep it dry. looking for console ideas that will keep all the electrics dry and secure, some of the big yank boats have interesting ideas.

BigE