PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Bluewater Boats vs Competitors

Hillbillyfish
13-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Hi All, I'm interested in how everyone would rate Tournament Bluewater boats to there competitors. For instance Tournament vs Yalta Craft vs Haines vs Hooker vs Allison. Im thinking of buying a used one and id like to see where people think they sit on the ladder. I'm not expecting them to be at the top but interested in your opinions. ;D;D

mitc69
13-02-2016, 05:34 PM
my opinions... tournament is just a australian version of trophy boats otherwise i pick haines over it anyday :)

Hillbillyfish
13-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Are tournament still a good hull? I'm sort of tossing up between Tournament, Allison and Yalta craft. Cheers

Jsmfun
13-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Are tournament still a good hull? I'm sort of tossing up between Tournament, Allison and Yalta craft. Cheers
Mate I have a tournament 2100 walk around 6.2m hull just had its second made day😜
Previous boat was a yalta 1800 all rounder had it for 3 years. 5.3m hull

they both have the same dead rise 21 degrees and ride quite well I did not always feel safe in the yalta but it did handle everything I threw at it.. the tournament does ride well when balanced but needs trim tabs so I'm getting that sorted on Wednesday but otherwise the finish on the tournament is a little better than yalta but like anything you get what you pay for
the ride is much better in the tournament but it should be (bigger boat) In my opinion..

I was tossing up getting the hooker as it would and from all reports ride the best out of them all I think it's a 23degree dead rise and it's built for that shitty chop up north that will most probably be the next boat for me

what size boat are you looking for?

dont worries just seen other post

Hillbillyfish
13-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Looking at the 1800 tournament, I like the looks of the reverse chines on the 1800 tournament. Should help stability at rest. I've heard they are foam filled where i'm not sure the yaltas are. How does foam filled assist the hull?

Noelm
14-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Foam filled does little to "assist" the hull, unless you have a big hole in it.......

mitc69
14-02-2016, 05:50 AM
i personally think you should get an angel cat 5.5 (jackroo) with single motor, saw 18 of them on aussie day on gold coast,i did look them up once, hull alone running 25k, trailer 5-10k and nice new 15k motor XL yamaha 130hp if you all worrie about stability and dead rise, start from a cat then work your way back to mono and u'll stick with a cat, not to mention resell of cat hold strong, it'll save you from beating the bush with competitors choice

so anything over 30k for new buyers or used boat.. just get a cat lol
anything under 30k just get aluminium half cabby
if your experienced.. time to get a cat... there a reason why most charters and ferries are cats :)

Still_Dreamin
14-02-2016, 08:17 AM
I have a 1750 Tournament. Very happy with it. In hind sight I should have saved a bit longer and bought the 1800. Not only longer but wider beam. Great boats built to a price point. They have been part of the haines signature stable for about 3yrs now.

Smithy
14-02-2016, 08:24 AM
I'd never buy new. You blow too much money in depreciation as soon as you drive out the door of the dealers. Tonnes of good second hand boats out there.

I been in a 16' Mustang (pre runner of Tournaments) and about a 19' walkaround. I liked them. A couple of mates have the 19' Mustang/Tournament Bluewaters and rate them too.

With all boats you are only splitting hairs 5% here and there and once it gets to 15knots you feel it in a 13'er or a 40'er.

I've always bought cheap and have a big toy budget. I like the live bait tanks and gunnels of the Tournaments way better than the Yaltas and stuff. I always liked the look of 17' Mustang. Dunno where it fits into the Tournament line up these days. Depends on your fishing needs.

Allisons would only be second hand now. They have some quirks like battery shelves that project into the cockpit and stuff. I've only done a bit of time in a little 5m one of them that went great for its size.

Foam filling will quieten the hull and potentially make it a smidgin more stiffer. Mostly the noise deadening.

Hillbillyfish
14-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much for your feed back, I looked at the 1750 and 1800 and i'm leaning towards the 1800 because of the overall size difference. Has a 115hp v4 Yamaha saltwater series on the back at the moment, might swap it out for a 130hp down the track. Probably will go an optimax or an etec, have been told by many boat mechanics these days you still cant go past an optimax for reliability and grunt.

Also wondering if it would be difficult to add swim platforms on the rear of a tournament or any newer fibreglass hull. I noticed the evolution hulls have awesome swim platforms and that would be something I would consider adding to the tournament.