PDA

View Full Version : 2300 noosacat

rosco1974
28-01-2016, 08:52 PM
in the market for a new boat and a couple of 2300 noosacats have caught my eye,both boats have 115 4 strokes on them,just wondering if these are a little underpowered with them on it...any feedback on fuel figures and speeds they do would be great. starting to get ichy feet...think I need a boat real soon
cheers rosco

bannana
28-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Just keep fishing with Gibbo mate.. Save yourself the grief..

Smithy
29-01-2016, 02:33 AM
Not as good as a KC by all accounts. That said, Steve's one has all the bells and whistles. The one with the drum winch and the wrap down the side!

outta line
29-01-2016, 05:40 AM
you would not of wanted to be in mine on the weekend mate... i have a bit to sort out after a fully loaded trip up 1770 dragging its ass ...... any way going off how this boat of mine goes with the 175 verados i would say the 115s would be under powered ... ill get you out for a run in mine in the next couple of weeks mate

Back In Black
29-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Just keep fishing with Gibbo mate.. Save yourself the grief..

What did Gibbo do to deserve that?? LOL

soulfish
29-01-2016, 11:29 AM
What did Gibbo do to deserve that?? LOL

Rosco is welcome anytime Tony....as long he is prepared to go home fishless every couple of trips!

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 04:13 PM
piss off tony ...go watch ya missus catch a fish again...haha always good to go for a trip out with gibbo.there is always someone doing something stupid

Back In Black
29-01-2016, 04:22 PM
piss off tony ...go watch ya missus catch a fish again...haha always good to go for a trip out with gibbo.there is always someone doing something stupid

Bit sensitive there Rosco?? I reckon being boatless for a bit would do that!! LOL

Mate, you know I can watch Juna catch fish all day long, as long as someone is contributing to the esky.

Someone doing something stupid?? Is that self appraisal or a backhander at jason!!

Back In Black
29-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Speaking of stupid, I did a beauty last week.

Did a DI run, & had 36 fish in the tub. Had to fly back to Noosa while there was some light & water on the bar. Mate made a slurry, but with a bit too much water, & we forgot to drain it out before leaving.

Smashed 90km back to the bar, & I mean smashed. Backed the boat in the shed, threw an esky on board to unload, & when Chris opened the tub up, he said they'd lost all their colour??

Picked a tusk up & said it'd lost all it's scales?? It was an ice box full of scales & pulverised fish!!

You want stupid Rosco, beat that!!;D;D

koastal
29-01-2016, 04:59 PM
you would not of wanted to be in mine on the weekend mate... i have a bit to sort out after a fully loaded trip up 1770 dragging its ass ...... any way going off how this boat of mine goes with the 175 verados i would say the 115s would be under powered ... ill get you out for a run in mine in the next couple of weeks mate

Prop Issues Mick ?
Put some permatrims on mine - purely to give it more trim range

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 05:08 PM
come on tony 36 fish in the tub...no pic or didn't happin.haha.
.I have got a tinny you know bought it bout 4 weeks ago,put 15hrs on it already

Moejoes
29-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Speaking of stupid, I did a beauty last week.

Did a DI run, & had 36 fish in the tub. Had to fly back to Noosa while there was some light & water on the bar. Mate made a slurry, but with a bit too much water, & we forgot to drain it out before leaving.

Smashed 90km back to the bar, & I mean smashed. Backed the boat in the shed, threw an esky on board to unload, & when Chris opened the tub up, he said they'd lost all their colour??

Picked a tusk up & said it'd lost all it's scales?? It was an ice box full of scales & pulverised fish!!

You want stupid Rosco, beat that!!;D;D

I can't believe you posted that Tony..............
Don't put yourself down, that's our job ;D

Moejoes
29-01-2016, 05:13 PM

I hear Rosco's looking for a NC2300 Hint hint .......... ;)
Come back from the dark side buddy :o

Moejoes
29-01-2016, 05:18 PM

I think Tony was hallucinating from the overdose of Kwells Rosco.
It was just his bait in the ice box :P

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 05:42 PM
got my eye on a couple moejos,going up to look at one I am prob more keen on out the 2 next Saturday...failing that my next big offshore trip will be in a big mono at end of feb

Back In Black
29-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I can't believe you posted that Tony..............
Don't put yourself down, that's our job ;D

I was just getting in before you!!

Back In Black
29-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Mate, stop hanging around Bannana, its affecting your spelling;D;D

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 06:47 PM
mate where both chippies,we still write in pencil.haha...

feral cat
29-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Rosco i know we have spoke about my 660 before.(Same weight as 2300) 115 4 stks swinging 13.5 x 15 solas props. cruise 24-25knts 370km trip and burnt 410lts. 4 POB and all jizz on board to stay 10 days.lol Steve was out same weekend and got same fuel figures. It's not to late.lol

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 07:46 PM
yeah I know Justin,steve's is one of the boats mate

perko
29-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Get another KC 2400. Better the devil you know.

outta line
29-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Prop Issues Mick ?
Put some permatrims on mine - purely to give it more trim range

Hey mate.. Yer props and permatrims will be the fist things I'll be looking at is running a pair of 19 4 blade vensuia on it and will try a pair of 17' ... I'll have a chat with Brisbane marine as they repower the VMR boats ... Southport has a new 24" with 150s on it ..... With no experience driving cats could also be playing a part in it ... Lol

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 08:55 PM
been looking at them perko,not a lot around and what I have looked at is well shit...not worth the coin they want for them..

rexaway123
29-01-2016, 09:24 PM
when I built mine few years ago I was GOING to go with twin 115s..ended up with 150s.. waynes advice was to definitely go with 150s but he likes speed

on average day of fast driving plus trolling etc always average just worse than 1km/L so normal day I would do about 160km for 170L say

I fell the boat is well powered with the 150s, easy powered. hits 43/44 kts spinning 4 blades for the extra arse lift and grip. If I was to go back now to 115 I think I would be very underwhelmed

spoke to Inveloch marine in Vic who deal them, they reckon the boat ''performs" better with the lighter 115s on bum but then you lose speed and are running higher RPM all time
I find myself rarely going over 4400rpm now(max5600) quieter engines barely sweating, and quite often 3900

there is a yamaha boat test with NC2300 with 115s and 150s to compare results

links below mate, big difference in performance side by side

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/power-reports/noosacat-2400-ht-sportsman-with-2-f115xbs

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/sites/yamaha-motor/files/Noosa_Cat_2300_Cuddy_F150_x_2.pdf

rosco1974
29-01-2016, 09:50 PM
I spoke to one of the owners today he was say he sits on around the 30mph doing around 4500rpm..i think that's around the 25knt mark..said he gets pretty got fuel at that ..I normally sit around the 25-27knts when I had the kc so as long as I get close to 1ltr/k there I would be happy...how many days can you really wind them up offshore or in the bay for that matter anyway..

Back In Black
30-01-2016, 06:45 AM
mate where both chippies,we still write in pencil.haha...

So is that why you blokes use pencils?? Easier to erase & fix the spelling;D;D

rosco1974
30-01-2016, 07:49 AM
yeah mate 4 sure

Flex
30-01-2016, 08:07 AM
spoke to Inveloch marine in Vic who deal them, they reckon the boat ''performs" better with the lighter 115s on bum but then you lose speed and are running higher RPM all time
I find myself rarely going over 4400rpm now(max5600) quieter engines barely sweating, and quite often 3900

I've always wondered how true these statements are. The 150's maybe be a few kgs heavier on the bum, but I would have thought the extra hp you gain 3-5knkts cruise speed to give the hull just as much lift going slower with 115's. ?

ShaneC
30-01-2016, 11:18 AM
I have been on one with 115's and it was ok. But they are so boat and prop dependent it ain't funny. I have been playing with props since repowering trying to find a happy medium and the difference in the props I believe is actually more crucial than the difference in the motors. My 2700 runs amazingly well when light with my four bladers (and very economically at 1l/km) and is also great when heavy (800l of fuel, 300kg of ice, bait, sinkers and all the shit you take on big trips), until it gets a bit sloppy, slow down to under 18 knots and it is a pig. Much better with different props but I lose economy and gain comfort.

I also know a 2300 very well with 150's that does not perform that well, due to its use it is a very heavy boat and we are playing with the props on it as we speak.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a 2300 with 115's, propped right, driven well and set up properly will eat one with 150's that isn't. Props, trim and load affect NC's of this size immensely and if I was in the market I would not discount one purely due to having smaller motors (that is not to say I would not use it as a bargaining tool).

hookinin
30-01-2016, 12:07 PM
We replaced the 140's with 115's on the 2400 a couple of years ago and would be more than happy to put it in the water for you to take it for a run. I know its not a nc but you would be able to tell how different it was to something you new well.
Gav

rosco1974
30-01-2016, 02:11 PM
like shane said above,every boat is slightly different in set up so I guess the only way to know is take it for a run...did you find much difference between the 2 motors gav when you repowered..iv heard there isn't a lot just slightly less speed with the 115's

hungry6
30-01-2016, 04:51 PM
The 2300NC do ALOT better with 140 or 150, when I had the 115 on the back it was getting pushed at time to perform and chewed more fuel "it could be a Mercury thing", And yes they are very HP and prop sensitive. If you find one that has the pods from the factory, weight out back shouldnt be an issue at all.
I find the extra grunt just make it an oodles to drive around as to before. Counter rotating props is recommended also.

rosco1974
30-01-2016, 05:08 PM
I don't mind if I got to get up it to get it to ride better in the shit,i will most of the time just be cruising around the 25knts as I normally do but if I need to I will put the throttles down.fuel should be good at cruise well around the 1ltr/k..i should add one of the boats is a walkaround they are spose to be a bit lighter than the sportsman model so prob perform better as well

outta line
30-01-2016, 06:13 PM
I thought the walkabouts were about 40kg heavier

hookinin
30-01-2016, 06:46 PM
The most noticeable thing was the lack of trim or nose lift. We still seem to travel between 22-27knots depending on conditions and top speed of 34k.

rosco1974
30-01-2016, 06:59 PM
gav those seen to be very similar to the speed I have been told about with the 115 on the 2300nooscats....not a rocket ship but quick enough to what I want it to

bannana
01-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Rosco,

As Shane said mate its extremely hard to compare boats due to the fact weights and positioning of weights are always different and then throw in props, engine heights bla bla bla... the one thing i have found is I can get my boat running like an absolute champion, better fuel economy and ride but once I load the prick up and get into shitty seas i start second guessing myself whats wrong.. Just the other day we came home in a real sloppy 15-20 beam on sea and my boat was going ordinary for the trip in seas it would normally eat up... Instead of walking comfortably like it normally does it decided to stagger like a piss head walking home from the pub at 4am... On the way out i thought it was just the added 400lts of fuel in a bladder I put on the floor but once this was empty and another 700lts of fuel was drained out of the tank I knew it was something else. I thought there must be water in the hull.... But no that wasn't the issue. It was simply that I loaded the side pockets up with enough lead and had a couple of very heavy electric winches on the side of my boat.. (Gavin figured this out thank f--k).. In all about 350kgs + on the sides of my boat and the difference was unbelievable. You would not believe the difference this made.

What i'm getting at mate is weight distribution in a cat is the first thing you need to sort, then props to suit, engine heights and the rest of the shit that contributes to ride. So if i was you and big long trips are going to make up the bulk of your trips then i'd be looking at the more powerful engines right of the bat. But if your just doing the moreton hit out and day trips with a bit of crabbing in a light boat then 115's would be my choice and then spend the time getting the maximum out of either set up by going through multiple props and engine heights before possibly adding a permatrim... just my 2 cents bud. Tony as for the spelling you've got me but I'd wipe the floor with you when it comes to IQ.

Back In Black
01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Rosco,

As Shane said mate its extremely hard to compare boats due to the fact weights and positioning of weights are always different and then throw in props, engine heights bla bla bla... the one thing i have found is I can get my boat running like an absolute champion, better fuel economy and ride but once I load the prick up and get into shitty seas i start second guessing myself whats wrong.. Just the other day we came home in a real sloppy 15-20 beam on sea and my boat was going ordinary for the trip in seas it would normally eat up... Instead of walking comfortably like it normally does it decided to stagger like a piss head walking home from the pub at 4am... On the way out i thought it was just the added 400lts of fuel in a bladder I put on the floor but once this was empty and another 700lts of fuel was drained out of the tank I knew it was something else. I thought there must be water in the hull.... But no that wasn't the issue. It was simply that I loaded the side pockets up with enough lead and had a couple of very heavy electric winches on the side of my boat.. (Gavin figured this out thank f--k).. In all about 350kgs + on the sides of my boat and the difference was unbelievable. You would not believe the difference this made.

What i'm getting at mate is weight distribution in a cat is the first thing you need to sort, then props to suit, engine heights and the rest of the shit that contributes to ride. So if i was you and big long trips are going to make up the bulk of your trips then i'd be looking at the more powerful engines right of the bat. But if your just doing the moreton hit out and day trips with a bit of crabbing in a light boat then 115's would be my choice and then spend the time getting the maximum out of either set up by going through multiple props and engine heights before possibly adding a permatrim... just my 2 cents bud. Tony as for the spelling you've got me but I'd wipe the floor with you when it comes to IQ.

G'day big fella.

IQ- well spelt;D;D;D

Beaker

rosco1974
01-02-2016, 06:47 PM
that's it keith I will mainly be off here fishing and crabbing,odd trip to di but mostly running around in a lightish boat...will know a lot more this weekend once I been for a run in it...if I go to 1770 I will just wait for a bit but will mor than likely just be a couple day trip at best with only a couple onboard

The Silver Unicorn
01-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Neither of you clowns would have an iq in double figures! Hardly worth bragging about....

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"

Back In Black
01-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Neither of you clowns would have an iq in double figures! Hardly worth bragging about....

I'm with you, imaginary horse guy with a knob hanging off its forehead!!

Bannana is the only one claiming superior intelligence among us, I'm happy to be known as the hapless fisherman without a clue..........;D;D;D

koastal
01-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Rosco,

. But no that wasn't the issue. It was simply that I loaded the side pockets up with enough lead and had a couple of very heavy electric winches on the side of my boat.. (Gavin figured this out thank f--k).. In all about 350kgs + on the sides of my boat and the difference was unbelievable. You would not believe the difference this made.

Thats a lot of sinkers :o

Lovey80
01-02-2016, 09:24 PM

Yes! Banana wanna hook me up with your secret lead supplier? Making sinkers is a pain in the ass so when I get set up to do it I want to crank out about that much worth in one go.......need to collect the lead first ;)

hookinin
01-02-2016, 10:14 PM

We had about ten or twelve 6kg deep drop sinkers plus a heap of 2 & 4kg then a full range of snapper leads up to 32oz plus ball sinkers.

Tangles
01-02-2016, 10:16 PM
i was going well wth long paragraphs without piss breaks,, great spelling, proper use of nouns or tense and swear words only if necessary which they are every sentence as long as properly constructed.. even expected the shitloads of fish, reds, trout and RTE's photos where a given, BUT ffs !!!!! that didnt happen did it so youse all give yourself an uppercut as the spelling of IQ stuffed me! bunch of illiterate homeless ferrets...

rosco1974
02-02-2016, 04:40 PM
stop trying to sound smart tangles..I have seen you crab and prawn mate.still trying to work out haw you can get so many tangles In the ropes..i even seen that one last weekend on the cast net,made me chuckle a bit

scottar
02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
We had about ten or twelve 6kg deep drop sinkers plus a heap of 2 & 4kg then a full range of snapper leads up to 32oz plus ball sinkers.

I thought the ute looked a bit arse heavy when I passed Mick near the Bundy turn off the other day. :P

Moejoes
02-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Yes! Banana wanna hook me up with your secret lead supplier? Making sinkers is a pain in the ass so when I get set up to do it I want to crank out about that much worth in one go.......need to collect the lead first ;)

Lovey80,
Give Hookinin a call.
He's an expert in sinker making.
Doesn't mind the heavy metal poisoning either.
They even come with a lovely bunch of bananas if you be nice to him - Refer pic below.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108428&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1429266414 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108428&d=1429266414)

Lovey80
02-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Lol classic. Makin the sinkers is easy getting hold of the lead for peanuts is another.

outta line
03-02-2016, 06:00 AM
Send him a picture of your lead supply.. Mr mojoes. Iam surprised your bench is still standing

outta line
03-02-2016, 01:16 PM
VMR Jacobs well 23" walkabout is for sale for $82k

rosco1974
03-02-2016, 06:21 PM
seen it mick...not that good a buy mate from what I seen,old boat 800hrs on motors and no trailer

outta line
03-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Yer bit rich for what it is... its a work horse spends half time in the water half out .. Thought you might be able to bum a ride to see how they go with 150 mers on the back ..

Moejoes
03-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Send him a picture of your lead supply.. Mr mojoes. Iam surprised your bench is still standing

Mate, stop telling everyone about my stash :P
I like to tell everyone Hookinin has heaps LOL ( Sorry Gav )
I made a heap of deep drop 6kgers for Banana & Soulfish.
That size suck up the lead real quick unless I find more :o
My bench is solid as :thumbsup:

rosco1974
03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Yer bit rich for what it is... its a work horse spends more time in the water than out... Thought you might be able to bum a ride to see how they go with 150 mers on the back ..
nah mate not interested in the boat so no point wastin my or the dealers time....I think the 115 will do what I want for 3 yrs then I will put 140 suzukies on it

Moejoes
03-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Lol classic. Makin the sinkers is easy getting hold of the lead for peanuts is another.

I thought $0.75 to 1.50 per kg was peanuts for lead.
How much lead you after? 500kgs or something ;)

outta line
03-02-2016, 07:42 PM
nah mate not interested in the boat so no point wastin my or the dealers time....I think the 115 will do what I want for 3 yrs then I will put 140 suzukies on it

Where is it listed for sale mate?

rosco1974
03-02-2016, 08:47 PM
boatsales mate

hookinin
03-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Mate, stop telling everyone about my stash :P
I like to tell everyone Hookinin has heaps LOL ( Sorry Gav )
I made a heap of deep drop 6kgers for Banana & Soulfish.
That size suck up the lead real quick unless I find more :o
My bench is solid as :thumbsup:
I'm tapped out at the moment . Had to melt some 32oz leads down to make the 4kg deep drops the other day. i'll have to look for another source for lead as the local demolition guy close.

outta line
04-02-2016, 05:31 AM
boatsales mate

Sorry mate not scooby Doo... Jacobs wells 23"?

rosco1974
04-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Sorry mate not scooby Doo... Jacobs wells 23"?
vmr boat is on boats online

Moejoes
04-02-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm tapped out at the moment . Had to melt some 32oz leads down to make the 4kg deep drops the other day. i'll have to look for another source for lead as the local demolition guy close.

Stuff melting them down again!!!
I put my feelers out today for more to restock my small stock ;)

rosco1974
04-02-2016, 09:24 PM
you got a mould yet for the deep drop sinkes rob or still using the cans

outta line
05-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Stuff melting them down again!!!
I put my feelers out today for more to restock my small stock ;)

i have a 43kg house batterie i just pulled out

Moejoes
06-02-2016, 08:55 AM
you got a mould yet for the deep drop sinkes rob or still using the cans

Yes, made a mould couple years ago out of 65mm gal. tubing.
Can make any weight from 2kg up.
Never used cans.

bannana
06-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Thats got to be Grazz... Cobiaman... Silver unicorn.... Otherwise known as the jockey. Where's your horse Grazz?

bannana
06-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Mate I wouldn't know I've been lucky with Hookinin mate. He's been like the "Tackle Warehouse " when it comes to supplying sinkers.. All sizes big or small. Moejoes made me a heap of deep drop sinkers a couple of years ago that have been excellent.. I'm just about to knock up a heap of deep drop sinkers at a foundery with some jigs one of the guys made so I too will be chasing lead.. About 500kg

Jarrah Jack
06-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Mate I wouldn't know I've been lucky with Hookinin mate. He's been like the "Tackle Warehouse " when it comes to supplying sinkers.. All sizes big or small. Moejoes made me a heap of deep drop sinkers a couple of years ago that have been excellent.. I'm just about to knock up a heap of deep drop sinkers at a foundery with some jigs one of the guys made so I too will be chasing lead.. About 500kg

Moonshine Mark had a line on a lot of lead recently.

outta line
11-02-2016, 10:16 AM
112289Just seen this on FB mate .. Over size tho

rosco1974
11-02-2016, 07:41 PM
yeah mick I spoke to him quiet a few time on fone..I wanted to go see it a few times now but everytime I want to go he has something on or some bullshit story so have now scratched it from the list

on another note how important is it to have counter rotatin props on a cat..had a look at a cat on the weekend had 115 mercs non counter rotatin and there is also another cat with 90 etecs which id say non counter rotating as well...

koastal
12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
yeah mick I spoke to him quiet a few time on fone..I wanted to go see it a few times now but everytime I want to go he has something on or some bullshit story so have now scratched it from the list

on another note how important is it to have counter rotatin props on a cat..had a look at a cat on the weekend had 115 mercs non counter rotatin and there is also another cat with 90 etecs which id say non counter rotating as well...

They travel better if they are counter rotating, (like a good wheel alignment) but this can be reduced with correct adjustment of the trim anode. (if not c/r)

Best thing about counter rotating is the increased maneuverability at low speed./ close quarters

bannana
13-02-2016, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=rosco1974;1608909]you got a mould yet for the deep drop sinkes rob or still using the cans[/QUOTE

Rosco,

Mate this is a 6 kg mould .... Magic Mikes knocked this one up..

koastal
13-02-2016, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=rosco1974;1608909]you got a mould yet for the deep drop sinkes rob or still using the cans[/QUOTE

Rosco,

Mate this is a 6 kg mould .... Magic Mikes knocked this one up..

work of art!!

Aquaholic 632
14-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I have a 1.2 kg and a 2.4 kg mould... u can use whenever u want rosco..... ps if u need to use 6kg of sinker u wont feel the bites...

Aussie123
14-02-2016, 02:57 PM
I have a 1.2 kg and a 2.4 kg mould... u can use whenever u want rosco..... ps if u need to use 6kg of sinker u wont feel the bites...

That's not true.
I used to use 2 feet of heavy gauge railway line and i could feel every bite,including small pickers on 7mm mainline and 5mm traces.

ShaneC
14-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Can I borrow all of these moulds??