PDA

View Full Version : Rollers Positions

hardworking
25-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Hey all.

So had the new trailer for a bit now and I need to adjust the location of the rollers.

My question is, should I look to be moving them to the left or right (see pics)

If I want to go left I it's a bit more work than going right. So the question should really be.... Where is the best position for the rollers???

Cheers
John. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/25/6ed28f891ddbfe4f968981449d20716b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/25/c55e512eee0c3d108e3992d778846792.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VictorOscar
25-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Hey John,

I've only had to adjust rollers for an alloy boat but the logic for them is the majority of the weight needs to go on the keel rollers and the skids/wobble rollers are basically just touching the hull and are there to support the boat and stop it from tipping over.

I am not sure if fibreglass boats follow the same logic (hopefully a fibreglass boat owner can assist?), but if they do, I would be moving them out (to the right) so that there is more support to stop the boat tipping over.

Regards,

hardworking
25-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah thanks man. I have read that the rollers don't take a lot of weight. I would like them out further big is a pain in the arse to do.

Some I either move them out past the step
In the hull or move them In a little and have them straddle the step.

scottar
25-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Best people to talk to would be your hull manufacturer to see if they have a preferred location for rollers. Glass boats are typically different to a tinnie and the rollers will be required to bare weight. Some boat manufacturers have over the years been very specific in regards to trailer set up even to the point of extending hull warranties or warranties being voided on hulls in relation to the owners choice of trailer

Fed
26-01-2016, 06:09 AM
They won't go out far enough to clear the strakes so you either leave them as they are or move them in to completely straddle the strakes.
I'd leave them unless they're causing you a problem.

Darren Mc
26-01-2016, 09:41 AM
How does it go on to the trailer? Does it go on easy? Looks like it wouldn't be very forgiving if you don't get it going on perfectly straight.

swof63
26-01-2016, 12:26 PM
I don't think id change them. You have keel rollers which will take most of the weight plus the wobbles to keep it level. The back ones will take some weight as the back keel roller is so low thus an "entry roller" to help retrieve. If you widen the space between the two sets of rear rollers you will make it too easy to get your hull between the rear keel roller and the wobble rollers and bugger your hull. Having the wobbles close together restricts the ability for you to get your retrieve wrong. I'd also cap the exposed metal on the wobble rockers with Teflon to avoid tears. Where I retrieve is often choppy with side current and you can only drive on so am hyper-sensitive to making trailers foolproof.

Cheers

hardworking
26-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys.

It goes on and off easy. I drive up and and then just winch it on. The only reasons I was thinking on moving them is because some of them sit on the strakes. But it's easy to load and unload.