PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Cover while Towing Boat on Trailer

PeterInSA
24-01-2016, 10:07 AM
My Insurance cover on our Trailer/Boat is due in the next month. In the write up, attached to the Invoice I noticed a new ( to me) exclusion. ie legal liability is not covered while the boat is attached ( or becomes unattached ) while I am driving down the road ( my words).

Phoned the insurance company and they told me that the Trailer and Boat should be covered by the Tow vehicles (landcruiser) Insurance and there is no point in doubling up. Phoned the Cruiser insurer and they tell me that only the trailer is covered.

Options
Look for another Boat or Cruiser Insurer.
Accept the Insurance offer and the very low chance of an accident being caused by the boat when on the trailer anytime other than when the boat is being put in the water or taken out.

I have had no insurance claims on my current and previous boat insurers for the last XX years

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Jeremy
24-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Might be of interest to others to identify which insurance company now has this exclusion

scottar
24-01-2016, 10:44 AM
As to my knowledge, the second company is correct. The trailer is covered for legal liability by the vehicles policy only. The boat itself is regarded as a load and therefore is not covered apart from having it's own policy. If your boat insurer is trying to dodge responsibility, time for a new insurer. This is one of the reasons to try and consolidate your insurance - all one company - no arguments as to who is liable leaving you in the lurch.

The chances are low of the boat not causing any damage while on the trailer but if it does, assuming you tie it down well, the most likely scenario is that you have been involved in a traffic accident with sufficient force to dislodge it. If it wipes out a $200 000 Mercedes in the process or worse still hurts/kills someone you will be in all sorts or hurt.

I also agree with Jeremy - name the company

Fed
24-01-2016, 11:23 AM
They do all this stuff to make more money.

They should insure people not objects, why can't I get insurance to cover me in case I hurt someone or damage someone's property.
You can have all your stuff insured but drive someone else's uninsured car and you are liable.
What about the bloke who has more than 1 car, you can only drive them one at a time.

Bloody ridiculous, load your box trailer with bricks and now we have to insure the bricks?

I hate them, just got my greenslip in, $606... WTF?

Darren Mc
24-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Please tell us who this insurance company is so everyone here is aware of who it is.

SummerTrance
24-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I remember being told by someone in the industry, that most claims on trailer boats are for accidents whilst being towed and premiums are calculated accordingly.

mitc69
24-01-2016, 11:51 AM
put it this way!.. anything on road is motor insurance, anything on water is boat insurance and also keep in mind that it cover the object itself as well...that Comprehensive for you, protecting the object of insured.. it very tricky and many loop holes

here a claim i made back in 2009, we went up to tinaroo towing a 4.30 trophy, a cruiser from the wrong side of the dirty road and hit us head on, we lost the trailer in the event, boat dislodge into the tree down hill... lucky know one was hurt seriously
the first claim was done for my poor hulix and trailer as one, sadly didnt get a new hulix just a payout as if you ever read the prints.. 2.5T towing car will not be replaced new!, the 2nd claim was done for boat insurance as a total lost from been damage, since it wasnt my fault, the guy would of have to lodge a vehicle insurance for motor, trailer and boat all under Third party liability cover

however if u didnt have a boat insurance, you wont be gettin your boat back... however if it was the other way around, where u damage the boat or another did.. that still a boat insurance cover, not motor insurance

hopefully that give u the info your looking for

PeterInSA
24-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I am wary of naming the insurance company. To me, the legal liability not covered para has been added to from the previous years, I may have made the wrong intrepretation.

patrol50
24-01-2016, 03:42 PM
I am wary of naming the insurance company. To me, the legal liability not covered para has been added to from the previous years, I may have made the wrong intrepretation.

if your reluctant to name names then if you make it an allegation then you are free from any meaningful legal challenge - so you can allege that x insurance company offers this type of an allegedly y policy - and its then just an allegation then and not a statement of fact - waste of time heading for the lawyers because its just an allegation and secondly if its true it actually cant be libelous anyway

just note how often radio stations and tv channels utilise the word allegation at times

cheers

scottar
24-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Nothing "alleged" about it if it is in black and white in their PDS. If they publish it in a public document that anyone can get their hands on, can't see why you should be concerned at all. It's not like you are accusing them of anything illegal - simply pointing out a variation in insurance cover between them and other companies - much the same as they all do in their advertising.

patrol50
24-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Nothing "alleged" about it if it is in black and white in their PDS. If they publish it in a public document that anyone can get their hands on, can't see why you should be concerned at all. It's not like you are accusing them of anything illegal - simply pointing out a variation in insurance cover between them and other companies - much the same as they all do in their advertising.

yep quite right scottar and no argument from me at all but if old mate is a bit shy to name for the greater good then an allegation cant be challenged and might be good to know who to steer clear of

cheers

scottar
24-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Lets just say anyone with a Club Marine Policy should pay particular attention to their PDS if they are concerned with the implications of this type of event if what is available from their website is accurate

mitc69
25-01-2016, 05:48 AM
just go with racq or aami all the way, might be more expensive then some, and they dont grind you for hrs with the same question when you claim

anyhow there nothing online that can be consider legal, alleged, or facts nowadays (unless it from .gov or .edc).. it all under the pertinent assumptions otherwise we wouldnt need our lawyers and accountants lol

when you all get your insurance, you all just assume what they cover under then content of what insurance is define (every individual basic understanding what insurance is different) as but never the condition of what type of insurance it is, or in term it was just the policy holder alleged believed he or she was covered by the insurance, sadly ive seen this excuse in many life insurance claim, so even if u choose to name it, they cant do nothing about it lol

hainsofast
25-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Club marine are SCUM

Watto79
25-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Club marine are SCUM

Care to enlighten us?!

JulianDeMarchi
25-01-2016, 03:27 PM
I am with CGU insurance. I had an accident with the boat on the way back from 1770, and they covered all the damages to the trailer and boat. Easy process with them, just get the quotes, pass onto assessor, then they organise the rest, including putting boat and trailer on a tilt-tray to remove for repairs. They even informed me that I could of had the boat tilt-trayed home from where I was and they'd cover the costs.

Jeremy
29-01-2016, 05:46 PM
My Insurance cover on our Trailer/Boat is due in the next month. In the write up, attached to the Invoice I noticed a new ( to me) exclusion. ie legal liability is not covered while the boat is attached ( or becomes unattached ) while I am driving down the road ( my words).

Peter

WTF! Just name the company already. You post enough questions on here asking for help from others and won't answer one yourself. Poor form - allegedly!

TheGurn
29-01-2016, 08:44 PM
I checked this out today before I paid my premium.
Club marine cover your boat and trailer while towing, but don't cover any damage it might cause to other peoples property.

Comprehensive car insurance (suncorp) doesn't cover your boat or trailer while towing but will cover any damage they may cause to other peoples property.

So says the policies I've got anyway.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Reg

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

mitc69
30-01-2016, 05:06 AM
eh that club marine insurance is broken, how can one insurance the boat itself and not damage it may cause to others, lol... it as good as if u waste a house while towing, you'll get a new boat.. but you'll need pay for the house damage you caused which can exceed 500k LOL not the best insurance lol...
but then the idea of insurance to give u the peace of mind that your covered... in saying that, in reality your only win win is making sure your werent at fault lol, so check all your thing before towing and there no rush or excuse for speeding :)

mitc69
30-01-2016, 06:47 AM
accidentally damage that are refer to whom fault and how.... there not many trust me, lol

any head on crash = who ever on the wrong side of the road
getting hit from the left side = driver on right hand at fault for not looking before switching lane, when one blinks to go left or right, they need to be make sure it safe, the driver in the left or right has the option to give way or not,

flat wheel = your fault if you are towing and it pops and spin out of control
flat wheel caused by the road = council fault if you ran into something that took your wheels out then you cause an accident
flat wheel cause by pot holes = your fault if you failed to listen to radio/news or seeking different route, main roads fault if that the only way
trailer dislodging = your fault if it came off
some one raming up your ass = there fault for not keep a min of 10m, and consider tail taging
failed to break on time = your fault
speeding = your fault
tiping on the side during a turn = your fault for speeding
tiping on the side in high wind = your fault for speeding
falling into a ditch = your fault if it not evasion action cause by other
falling into a ditch or causing crash due to live stock = your fault, just hit the dam thing, if it a cow the owner of it will pay, if it kangroo your screwed
causing accident due to pedestrian = your fault, within city or uber areas...
truck nudge you off the road = truck fault
truck scarying you off the road then cause an accident = truck fault
failed to put hand break on and cause an accident = your fault
speed camera shock you = your fault for speeding

Now here some highlight on insurance

any modded such as extra motor, pods = void without the approval of the insurance
mooring = void for most insurance
water ski are not covered unless spec
if a repair mechanic breaks your boat, that it for you
if your maintenance isnt done by licensed person then it void
no personal content is covered in event of accident
taking out your own property in an accident isnt cover by alot
boat falling off the ramp due to stupidity are not cover, only afew
any known person to you, attempt to steal your boat or cause damage to it is void unless spec by police

towing a boat cover is all insurance under state law now however damage will not be cover if your at fault due to one of the above, therefore if the following occurs

the boat dislodge and killed / hurt someone / damage property due to someone else fault, your to blame for not secure it down, if the attachment breaks, your to blame for failing the legal tow weight and exceeding 85% of your GVM
now it very important you all check that chain that connect the boat to the trailer can support the weight of it, located next to boat winch.. that your main problem, and your chain to your trailer to your tow vehicle

however if the whole set, such your vehicle and boat is still attach while causing damage, due to someone else fault then your free of charge

if your accident is one of the above that clearly state your fault then.. hope you got deep pockets

shakey55
30-01-2016, 07:51 AM
This insurance talk has made start thinking about the coverage I have.

All my vehicles and house are with AAMI and I have just got off the telephone to them. They have advised me that my boat is NOT covered if damaged or destroyed while being towed with my vehicle which is insured with AAMI if involved in a motor vehicle accident.

I'm currently insured with Club Marine. I have just read their PDS and the following has been cut and pasted from their PDS. I have also attached the link to their PDS.

What We don’t cover
We will not cover legal liability:
1. Incurred by boat builders, repairers, yacht clubs
or marina operators unless they are in charge of
or in control of Your Boat in an emergency for the purpose of minimising any loss or damage covered by Section 1 of Your Policy;
2. Arising other than from the Hull, Motors, Masts, Spars, Rigging, Sails, Equipment and Accessories being on and/or used on Your Boat, Boat Tender or Trailer;
3. Incurred while Your Boat is attached to or when
it becomes accidentally detached from a motor vehicle in motion, other than during launching or hauling out of the Boat from the water;
4. For loss or damage occurring to property owned by You or in Your physical or legal control or owned by any person using Your Boat or in their physical or legal control;

The Club Marine PDS can be found here,

http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/PI+Pleasurecraft+Insurance

Time start looking elsewhere.

What companies are fellow members insured with (NSW) that covers your boat while being towed by a motor vehicle with to the ramp or on a longer trip.

Interested to see results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishing111
30-01-2016, 08:54 AM
So have I got this right?

Club Marine won’t cover any damage your boat may cause while in transit if the boat becomes totally detached, or still attached and you side swipe a car taking a corner to tight making contact with the boat, or you hit a person with your boat while in transit etc,etc, so any damage while being towed is not on Club Marine.

Is Club Marines thinking that if you've got your boat insured then you should also have your car insured, and that it is essentially double dipping and not necessary so as to keep Club Marine policies as cheap as possible?

mitc69
30-01-2016, 09:12 AM
yes correction AAMI no longer insurance boat now

Marine Club

Section 1
Including whilst Your Boat is in transit on its ownTrailer provided Your Boat is designed to be towedon the Trailer and all statutes and laws regardingthe towing of Your Boat on the Trailer are complied with.
that cover your boat alone when towing, therefore its limited and damage or loss only counts if it not your fault

Rule 3.
Incurred while Your Boat is attached to or when it becomes accidentally detached from a motor vehicle in motion, other than during launching or hauling out of the Boat from the water;

refer to my statement
if boat dislodge and killed / hurt someone / damage property due to someone else fault, your to blame for not secure it down, if the attachment breaks, your to blame for failing the legal tow weight and exceeding 85% of your GVM
now it very important you all check that chain that connect the boat to the trailer can support the weight of it, located next to boat winch.. that your main problem, and your chain to your trailer to your tow vehicle

however if the whole set, such your vehicle and boat is still attach while causing damage, due to someone else fault then your free of charge otherwise your out of luck

to the other question, if you nick a car while turning, that your fault and is consider a motor damage not boat sadly, therefore not claimable on boat insurance, if u hurt someone with a boat in transit that motor insurance... a boat cant move on it own without a motor vehicle

Fed
30-01-2016, 09:17 AM
That seems to be how it works fishing111.

The missing policy in this whole thing is third party personal & property only for a boat while it's on the water.
To get that you need to take out full comprehensive insurance on the boat which is not a proposition for many people with cheaper boats.

mitc69
30-01-2016, 09:34 AM
no such thing as full comprehensive on a boat, not that i know of, damage from boat that isnt on water is very highly unlikly to happen unless it was intended but very limited, in the US where there bridge go over housing where a chance trailer / load falling into there home could happen, but here in AU, he only have hills and ditchs.. if it happened your motor vehicle will be the cause of it, therefore it'll fall under the motor insurance... same thing with hitting a person on the road with your boat while it attach come under motor vehicle

boat insurance is very limited, that why many dont have insurance on them... to make it simple... boat insurance only works if it on water / not your fault / on a secure yard everything else is just a sweet sales men

if you live in cairns for example and you just fish in the inlet.. no point of insurance.. the area is all mud, it almost near 0% to cause a boat crash, and if you sink for odd reason, your boat isnt upto maintenance case close on that
if you live in cairns and venture the reef and hit reef, no insurance gonna cover you lol, first thing there gonna bitch about is.. you got a licensed? therefore you can read beacons, therefore you know how to read a sounder, therefore it was an intended, therefore void claim

an insurance is only there to protect yourself from out expense pocket, nothing else that isnt your fault

Fed
30-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Is that you Kerry?:D

fishtragic
14-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow, how complacent we get. This got me thinking too. I've just checked the available info on my Club marine policy and it's minimal. The towing insurance appears to only cover my boat/trailer while launching or retrieving. I hope I've misread this. Third party liability to $10k, doesn't cover much these days and doesn't say whether that's third party on the water only or on road as well. AND it's got my motor listed as an E-E-E Evinrude (nearly couldn't even say it) instead of my Yamaha, definitely calling them tomorrow to clear a few things up or change companies, whichever is most successful.

Triple
14-02-2016, 09:48 PM
yes you have misread it. Club marine covers at fault damage to your boat in transit, your tow vehicles insurance must cover any damaged the boat cause to others. (Read your vehicle insurers pds to ensure your covered)
What we cover :

Including whilst Your Boat is in transit on its ownTrailer provided Your Boat is designed to be towedon the Trailer and all statutes and laws regardingthe towing of Your Boat on the Trailer are compliedwith.