PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs For 640 Baysport

GAFYM
20-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Have a 640 Baysport which continually lists to Starboard. It is NOT a weight distribution problem.
Yamaha 150 on the back.
Have been told that Trim Tabs will fix the problem. The dealer doesn't want to know about it of course.
Was looking at Bennet M120 but then told about the Volvo QL450 which are electric as opposed to the hydraulic Bennets.
The QL would be much easier to fit as the Transom is not open right across the stern. However also informed that the QL's produce a fair amount
of drag in the water
Any help appreciated

Shagga
20-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I have a Stessl 5.3m half cab that is less than 12 months old and it also would list to the starboard side. Unlike yours mine was affected by weight as well as wind and tide. I fitted Lenco electric trim tabs and am now stoked with the way the boat performs. Like driving a different boat and I am very happy with the Lenco tabs.

Smithy
20-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Go Lencos or Bennetts.

Darren Mc
20-01-2016, 10:07 PM
+1 for lenco's. They're electric actuators.

scottar
20-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Any of the above but will also add Lectrotabs to the list. I fitted these due to lifetime warranty on the actuators. You don't need the LED indicator panel but it makes it a whole heap easier to know where your tabs are and you can set tabs prior to motion if you know where you want them.

cwcarter
20-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Bennett has the bolt range know which are electric.

Fed
21-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Does it list when you're stationary in still water?

Have you tried trimming the motor out.

GAFYM
21-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Fed
Not while stationary
And yes......am sick of trying to trim the motor to help

GAFYM
21-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Tks all,
Just about ready to throw it all in

Chris Tucker
21-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Volvo ql450 are too big. The 300 will be more than enough.

Linedropper
21-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Also check out Zipwake. Same principle as the Volvo QL system but later generation and auto. Meant to be less drag and faster than tabs too.

Chris Tucker
21-01-2016, 06:24 PM
http://www.zipwake.com

no reason for them to have less drag but if they do everything they claim the computer part seems to be a step towards what's fitted on large commercial vessels.

Edit: Sorry just re-read above. Zipwake and Volvo will both have less drag than a normal trim tab.

Fed
22-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Tks all,
Just about ready to throw it all in
Just in case you haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Strange to list to the starboard side.

Is it a counter rotating motor?
Have you tried adjusting the steering trim tab mounted on the motor?
Have you checked both sides of the hull for a hook? (Concave area in the rear couple of metres)
What type of steering do you have, hydraulic, straight cable or no feed back cable?
Is the effort required to steer both port & starboard the same?

I think you should get to the bottom of it before you fit trim tabs, once it's sorted you may not even want them.

Chris Tucker
22-01-2016, 08:55 AM
I agree with the above. Find another owner of the same boat and see if they have the same issue. If not look for differences between yours and theirs.

scottar
22-01-2016, 12:42 PM
What sounder are you running and where / how is the transducer mounted is another question to add to the list.

GAFYM
23-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Bin there
Done that.
Sounder...Lowrance through hull transducer
After talking to Baysport it may be that the motor has been installed too far off centre in the first place
Have been told to "forget trim tabs" as they can be more trouble than they are worth
Tks all for help
Goes into the experts Monday week for a final check

Smithy
24-01-2016, 07:12 AM
No negatives with trim tabs, only positives. Who is feeding you your info?

tenzing
24-01-2016, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=GAFYM;1607832]Bin there
Done that.
Sounder...Lowrance through hull transducer
After talking to Baysport it may be that the motor has been installed too far off centre in the first place
Have been told to "forget trim tabs" as they can be more trouble than they are worth
Tks all for help

Maybe the experts will sort it, lets hope so.
Couldnt disagree more about tabs being more trouble than they are worth.
should be virtually compulsory on boat of your length.
your problem is likely a separate issue, then you can enjoy the tabs later for whT they are really for. They will enhance the quality of your boating no end.
Cheers
Brendan

gofishin
24-01-2016, 09:09 AM
... Have a 640 Baysport which continually lists to Starboard. It is NOT a weight distribution problem.
Yamaha 150 on the back.
Have been told that Trim Tabs will fix the problem. The dealer doesn't want to know about it of course. ...
Very poor form from the dealer, especially if it is a fairly new boat! How old is the boat?

The fact that it lists to STB with a Std RH g/box means there is something going on somewhere!

Yes, tabs will fix the problem, but the problem itself should be diagnosed and rectified. Still add tabs, & I agree with above, they should be Std on these sized glass boats.

Any 6m +/- glass boat with a 21 deg deadrise will benefit immensely from trim tabs, whatever brand the tabs may be. Given that the Baysports are actively promoted as a light boat (with low HP ratings for the size), tells me that they should definitely have tabs.

Have you gone to the manufacturer if the dealer is not interested?

Can you post pics of your transom? One pic each side, both showing the donk, taken from down low, in line with hull bottom.

Cheers
Brendon

scottar
24-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Trim tabs more trouble than they are worth - only when it is to fix a problem that shouldn't be there and the client is likely to hit the dealer up for the cost. Any other time they are worth their weight in gold.

Darren Mc
24-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Sorry re-read your first post and found you said it wasn't a weight distribution problem as not listing when stationery.

I'm very interested to hear the outcome of this problem as i had a baysport 585 and never had a problem. But i did miss the trim tabs i had on my previous boat. Would definately recommend them they are an excellent addition to have on your boat.

Scott79
12-02-2016, 10:20 AM
How did you go with this mate?

fishtragic
14-02-2016, 01:46 PM
If you've run out of options with finding the reason for your problem, don't hesitate to try trim tabs. I've had many different hull configurations and trim tabs have been great on any that I've had them on. Currently I've got Bennett tabs on a 6m mono and carry considerable loads at times in various deck positions, I get it that it's not a weight dist. prob., but tabs will more than likely solve your stability issue. Trim tabs are a godsend IMO.
Mark