PDA

View Full Version : Canopy and clears or hardtop

barney1979
18-01-2016, 05:18 PM
I have a tabs 6.1 ocean series and the existing canopy and clears are due for replacing, and also thinking of getting rid of Perspex windscreen for glass.
I've got a quote just for canopy and clears for around $1500 which had me thinking how feasible would it be to have a hard top made and how much extra would the cost be.

If any has any ball park costs I would be interested to know.

Joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marvin
18-01-2016, 10:16 PM
My brother replaced his hard top which was wooden framed, with a full alloy one, custom made to shape of hull by Adrians Marine Bundaberg, Cost was around $2500 from Memory, and this was including new glass windows front and side, fully two pack painted fitted to fibreglass 6.8mt hull. best thing ever... great protection from elements, now has no side clears, just cab and glass, with maximum fishing room.

ovakil
19-01-2016, 04:56 PM
I made my own ally hardtop,then got clears all around.
All foam insulated.
Best thing I did.

Dignity
19-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Go the hardtop, do you need to drop it to park it, make sure it is easily done.

scottar
19-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Hardtop all the way. If you do much night time work, and don't want to leave a section of clear in the screen, make provision in the budget for a radar possibly as well.

barney1979
19-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Im certainly leaning towards a hardtop, especially if ball park cost is around $2500!!
That sounds like a great price Marvin!! Shame I don't live in bundy.

No problems with height where I park Dignity so no need to drop it.

Thanks Scottar if I do proceed with it then a radar mount would be included.

I suppose the next step is to see who would be interested in the job?

Any recommendations? Note I'm based Brisbane Northside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ovakil
20-01-2016, 05:01 PM
If you have an idea what you want, a fabricator could build you something.

Shark Poker
20-01-2016, 05:14 PM
I have heard that some people like to include tie down points for a future dinghy, as well as a generator, on top of the new roof.. Plus a ladder so people can climb up onto there easily. And make the hardtop large enough to also contain solar panels. :)

Seppo BNE
20-01-2016, 06:30 PM
With Hardtops, whats the thoughts on the maximum weight? -- At some point it will become unstable for the size of the boat..
Dinghy's are light, but a generator and solar panels?? !! :)

I guess windage would be similar to a set of clears in terms of surface area.

Have been thinking about a hardtop or sail track clears on our boat for a while too--

Sheik
21-01-2016, 01:50 PM
I have heard that some people like to include tie down points for a future dinghy, as well as a generator, on top of the new roof.. Plus a ladder so people can climb up onto there easily. And make the hardtop large enough to also contain solar panels. :)

and a stubby holder...

Dignity
21-01-2016, 08:00 PM
The hard top itself is surprisingly light, it is the additional items that will add to it. As an afterthought as more older boats add 4 strokes with added weight on the transom sometimes the additional weight up front may balance it a little more, it did with mine.

scottar
21-01-2016, 09:30 PM
The hard top itself is surprisingly light, it is the additional items that will add to it. As an afterthought as more older boats add 4 strokes with added weight on the transom sometimes the additional weight up front may balance it a little more, it did with mine.

Did you go a full hard setup or still with clears between screen and roof ?

barney1979
21-01-2016, 10:25 PM

I was thinking along the same lines that weight wouldn't be terribly heavier than what I already have, taking into account removal of existing stainless rocket launchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk