PDA

View Full Version : Reef anchor setup

drpete
18-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Hi all, I lost my reef pick at Shallow Tempest last week (I suspect the chain wrapped round something coz she wasn't going to budge) and I was wondering, my old setup had a swivel in the line but I can't remember whether it was right ON the anchor (five prong reef pick), or if it was between the rope and the chain.
What does everyone else run? I know reef picks don't spin much anyway so I probably don't NEED one, just curious what others do.
Cheers
Peter

Dignity
18-01-2016, 01:17 PM
I use a swivel on the anchor if using the winch but if using the float don't use any swivels at all, never found it a problem.

The Black Unicorn
18-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Buy a sarca anchor

robothefisho
19-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Normal reef pick with shank filled with lead. Couple metres of 8mm standard link. 8mm 3 strand nylon. Gets to the bottom quick.

drpete
19-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah that's what I always run, I'm really just interested in where, and if, people use a swivel in the line.
Right on the anchor, or between the rope and chain, or not at all.
Thanks for the responses.
Peter

mmmouse
19-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Worked on boats for a few years dropping the pick on reefs from Lizard Island to Gladstone. Never seen a swivel on any boat I've ever been on and never had one on mine either. Had plenty of good tug of wars but only lost 1 anchor so far.....why did I say that??