PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma Saturday

14-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Heading over to tangalooma on Saturday for the week in our boat (cruise craft reef ranger) leaving from port of Brisbane how bad a trip do people with experience in moreton bay think this trip will be given the forecast of 25-30 knot south easterlies with 1.5 - 2 m seas . Thanks

patrol50
14-01-2016, 05:39 PM
well if this is not a wind up which it may be ::) - then the answer may be to expect a reasonably rough and pretty wet ride in a 5.3 - 5.5 m boat with a 130 - 150 on the back in the open exposed areas of the northern bay although they are a decent enough boat and if it was me i would go very very early (at daybreak ) before that 25 / 30 knots kicks in too hard

cheers

14-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply I realise it's not going to be fun just wondering if it would be un advisable to go in these conditions

patrol50
14-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the reply I realise it's not going to be fun just wondering if it would be un advisable to go in these conditions

ok i dont know what your boating experience is but if its a family trip missus and kids under say 15 i would not do it in 25 / 30 knot se winds - if its you and a couple of older teenage kids used to being out in the boat or with mates could do it but its a tiring trip fighting the helm all the time so expect to get a bit wet, be roughed up a bit and glad to get there when you do- just my opinion though others may have a different slant

cheers

Callop
14-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Check the times of MICAT and sit behind it. Definately smooths things out.

14-01-2016, 06:32 PM
The wife and kids are going over on the barge so just me in the boat. Thanks again

Moonlighter
14-01-2016, 06:37 PM
You would be totally irresponsible to attempt such a trip in the predicted conditions. Current, along with that wind will make it very dangerous, to say the least.

Are you so desperate to get over there that you are prepared to put your life and those of your family at risk? Unbelievable!

Doubt me? Call your local VMR group or Water Police and ask them. After all, you might as well give them notice because chances are they will have to risk their lives to go out and try to save yours.

ovakil
14-01-2016, 06:48 PM
I'd leave it to Monday.
I got new motor & trailer before xmas, finally got out last Saturday for first time.
Just waited for decent weather.

Seppo BNE
14-01-2016, 06:51 PM
I guess one question to ask would be how much enjoyment would you get out of it?,
Still learning the ropes, but a few hours of coming back in reasonable swell once sure made me dream about those glass smooth days :)

Another thing I have wondered is where to moor a boat at Tangalooma?, the jetty seems like Micat zone only?, or are there other places to tie up for a while?
The beach could be a bit messy to try to hang out on.

juggernaut
14-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Just had a look on Willy Weather - personally I would forget it based on the wind and swell.

scottar
14-01-2016, 07:41 PM
If you must go (preferably don't), in a SE, I wouldn't be going from Port of Brisbane. I would go during the last couple of hours of the run out tide and then leave from Cleveland, skirting the banks on the run up (staying just outside the go slow zones and then up the inside of the island. The exposed banks should offer a bit of protection in relation to seas. If you do go from POB, you will cop a pasting - more so on an incoming tide with wind against current. Might be an idea to check your insurance policy too if you have one. Some marine policy's are voided if you set out in a forecast of a certain wind strength - I think it is 25 knots.

Almako
14-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Are you new to boating and desperate to get out? One thing you learn pretty quick is when to leave the boat at home. If you take the boat you'll spend your whole week worrying about it drifting at anchor, not much fun or sleep.
There are plenty of things to do on Moreton without having your boat there. Take your mask, snorkel and fins and enjoy snorkelling the wrecks (1 hour before and after a neap tide), take a rod and reel and work the beaches or rocks for a relaxing fish. Take some firewood and chill out by the fire. Take the boat and worry about it all week.

patrol50
14-01-2016, 08:32 PM
The wife and kids are going over on the barge so just me in the boat. Thanks again

ok i wouldnt do it on my own not in those winds and forecast seas as you will be fighting the helm much of the way which is very tiring but scottars suggestion has some merit and yes you can get some protection that way and i have often run out of raby bay on the better days - but you would still get well and truely beaten up crossing to peel but at least you could bail and anchor up on the north side of peel or at the little ships club if need be - as suggested by others better to wait for a better day unless you are a very experienced small boat skipper with a fair bit of off shore exposure but if you were i doubt you would have asked the question
cheers

barney1979
14-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Leave the boat at home and jump on micat with the family!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I've taken the advice and leaving the boat at home

castlemaine
15-01-2016, 07:33 AM
I came home 2 Saturday ago in 12-15k, SE and a runout tide. NOT FUN !

alleycat
15-01-2016, 08:45 AM
The bay is a different beast to the open ocean, in that sort of wind you will get a 2 metre wave or more with a dirty great hole right behind it that you will smash into, repeat that a thousand times or more and that's your trip, I had a trip back from the 4 beacons in a 5.5 metre centre console a few years ago in a 15 knot plus southerly and it was like somebody was on the bow throwing a bucket of salt water in my face every 5 seconds, bloody terrible..

TheRealAndy
15-01-2016, 09:31 AM
You would be totally irresponsible to attempt such a trip in the predicted conditions. Current, along with that wind will make it very dangerous, to say the least.

Are you so desperate to get over there that you are prepared to put your life and those of your family at risk? Unbelievable!

Doubt me? Call your local VMR group or Water Police and ask them. After all, you might as well give them notice because chances are they will have to risk their lives to go out and try to save yours.

Are you serious?? Given the size of the boat in question, I would say uncomfortable as opposed to outright dangerous.

I wouldn't do it, but that's purely based on the fact that I don't like banging into a 25knot south easter in a power boat.

robothefisho
15-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Are you serious?? Given the size of the boat in question, I would say uncomfortable as opposed to outright dangerous.

I wouldn't do it, but that's purely based on the fact that I don't like banging into a 25knot south easter in a power boat.

Finally some sensible words.

The run to Tangalooma would be fine in 25 knots of se. A bit wet and tiresome but no great life threatening experience as has been suggested.

Kondo 1
15-01-2016, 10:05 AM

I agree with Andy, if it was a 25knot northerly well that's a different story....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

patrol50
15-01-2016, 11:41 AM
based on the bom report for saturday for brisbane which looks a bit better than the moreton bay report
Saturday 16 January

Summary http://www.bom.gov.au/images/symbols/large/rain.png Min 20Max 23Rain at times.Possible rainfall: 3 to 8 mmChance of any rain: 70%http://www.bom.gov.au/images/ui/weather/rain_70.gif Brisbane area

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers or rain periods in the morning and afternoon. Winds southerly 15 to 25 km/h becoming light early in the morning then becoming southerly 20 to 30 km/h in the morning.

imho it appears you could probably get there ok if you leave real early on saturday morning (although the bay report is less encouraging with no mention of light winds early ) so you would need to monitor if those lighter early morning winds do happen as they often do - and contrary to some comment as long as the wind does not have any west in it then the western side of moreton island should not be a problem to anchor at provided you have suitable gear

and no i agree that i dont think it would have been a life threatening trip in a 25 knot se wind in that boat provided your ob is in good nick and your bilge pumps work and you have had some experience in rough conditions but it sure would be very uncomfortable and very bloody tiring on you own

cheers

castlemaine
15-01-2016, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=patrol50;1607241

and no i agree that i dont think it would have been a life threatening trip in a 25 knot se wind in that boat provided your ob is in good nick and your bilge pumps work and you have had some experience in rough conditions but it sure would be very uncomfortable and very bloody tiring on you own and i would be keen to come with you - NOT ! ;D

cheers[/QUOTE]

I have very poor experience in the Bay, but I wonder what VMR and Coastguard would think about that it is not life threatening ... NOT! is probably right.8-)

Comfortable going out ...NO / Comfortable fishing ... NO / Comfortable coming home ... NO

When I came home the Saturday in question, I said it was no "bath tub out there', reply from an experienced boatie was "what were you doing going out in that weather?"

patrol50
15-01-2016, 06:15 PM
I have very poor experience in the Bay, but I wonder what VMR and Coastguard would think about that it is not life threatening ... NOT! is probably right.8-)

Comfortable going out ...NO / Comfortable fishing ... NO / Comfortable coming home ... NO

When I came home the Saturday in question, I said it was no "bath tub out there', reply from an experienced boatie was "what were you doing going out in that weather?"

not quite sure of your point mate but anyway i have removed the light hearted comment you seem to have taken some offense too - but its a fair question to ask anyone who is out there in strong winds and an awkward wind against tide steep chop in the bay - and we have all been bumped around out in the bay at some point mate and we all dislike those rougher conditions - but there is a big difference between being bumped around and being in a life threatening situation - if the winds do drop off as forecast by bom and there is only light winds for the first couple of hours tomorrow morning ( as often happens ) and with a run out tide it could be reasonable trip over in a well founded boat such as that cruise craft in the hands of an experienced skipper but at the end of the day its his call not mine and i believe he has said he is going over on the micat which is what i would do also

mitc69
15-01-2016, 07:52 PM
if you have self draining deck you'll do ok, long you know how, otherwise if a cruises go out, you can tail tag it to tangalooma assuming it not illegal

Seahorse
15-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Blowing 30 knots here gusting to 40 plus knots. Tomorrow much same with rain

TheRealAndy
15-01-2016, 09:45 PM

I have been boating in the northern bay for about 30 odd years now, so I am only a spring chicken. Being a sailor who races, I have also been out in conditions where no sane person would go to sea (had 55knots off peel island once in a race). I have also been one of those VMR people that comes to rescue you (still actively involved actually).

A 25knot SE is not dangerous, but its no fun either. you can make it dangerous, but that's no different to doing 200kph on the road in a storm. Do you avoid the road everytime it rains?

Like shitty road conditions, all you have to do is slow down.

As I said before, I would not go out in a 25 knot SE'er in Moreton Bay, because bumpy as hell, and I get wet and because it takes forever to get anywhere. I say that now, but I ignore my own advice everytime I go racing out there!

castlemaine
16-01-2016, 08:00 AM
not quite sure of your point mate but anyway i have removed the light hearted comment you seem to have taken some offense too - but its a fair question to ask anyone who is out there in strong winds and an awkward wind against tide steep chop in the bay - and we have all been bumped around out in the bay at some point mate and we all dislike those rougher conditions - but there is a big difference between being bumped around and being in a life threatening situation - if the winds do drop off as forecast by bom and there is only light winds for the first couple of hours tomorrow morning ( as often happens ) and with a run out tide it could be reasonable trip over in a well founded boat such as that cruise craft in the hands of an experienced skipper but at the end of the day its his call not mine and i believe he has said he is going over on the micat which is what i would do also

No offence was taken or was meant, I actually mostly agree with you. I probably should have left the comments to more experienced boaties. Might just stick to the 'Fishing Reports', in future. :)Cheers

shortthenlong
16-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Must have been a bit ordinary on the bay last night. This was in my inbox this morning. That said it is much more still this morning
myPolice Brisbane Central IMMEDIATE EMAIL NOTIFICATION Brisbane Water Police warn boat owners to be cautious

The Brisbane Water Police are urging boaties to exercise caution over the coming days after a number of incidents that occurred overnight.

#

The first incident happened around 5.30pm when police received information that a kayak was spotted near Green Island. Extensive searches have failed to locate anyone in distress.

#

The second incident happened around 6.55pm, a yacht experienced engine difficulties off Mud Island was assisted by volunteer marine rescue.

#

A third incident occurred at around 7pm when three men were sighted on a mud bank and appeared to be in distress near Lota. The three men were able to get to safety after being located by the rescue helicopter.

#

A fourth incident occurred around Mud Island at around 8.50pm where a power boat had engine failure. The vessel was located by a rescue helicopter and a volunteer marine rescue vessel has attempted to tow the boat which started to take on water.

#

The two men on board the boat were had to be recovered from the sinking vessel and were transported to the Brisbane Water Police base for medical treatment.

#

A fifth incident occurred near the Brisbane Harbour main channel at around 10pm when a yacht was damaged and unable to return to shore. The boat was towed back to land by volunteer rescuers.

#

While no one sustained serious injuries from any of these incidents, Water Police are urging anyone going out on the water to be very caution over the coming days.

#

Acting Sergeant Daniel Moyle said that anyone going out on the water should be extremely cautious and check their safety gear and weather conditions.

#

“We were very lucky that no one was seriously injured as a result of any of these rescues overnight,” he said.

#

“Anyone considering going out this weekend should check all their safety gear, get as much weather information as they can and make sure they tell someone where they are going and when they are expecting to return.

#

“If you are not going out, we would ask that you check your moorings and anchors regularly to make sure your vessels are secure.

#

“We would also like to thank the Brisbane Coast Guard and Raby Bay Volunteer Marine Rescue. They did an exceptional job overnight in very adverse and trying conditions, and their professionalism and tenacity assisted to keep the community safe, and they should be commended.”

#

If you are planning on heading out into the water this weekend, please refer to the Marine Safety Queensland website http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/ and monitor the weather conditions.

#

Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.

Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation working in partnership with the Queensland Police Service.

For all non-urgent police reporting or general police inquiries contact Pol

Almako
17-01-2016, 08:53 AM
https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/30587413/four-rescues-in-qlds-moreton-bay/

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-weather-strong-winds-strand-boaties-on-moreton-bay-20160116-gm7875.html

Moonlighter
17-01-2016, 10:24 AM
So 4 rescues and the Water Police said:

"We were very lucky that no one was seriously injured as a result of any of these rescues overnight,” he said."

Really, some people need to exercise better judgement.

Both those who put to sea, and some on this site whose bravado in suggesting a trip from one side of the Bay to the other in a small older boat in those conditions would have been something other than irresponsible and would not put lives at risk.

The conditions as were clearly predicted in advance and as a result two rescue organisations had to put to sea and put their crews in danger.

All it takes in such conditions is for one thing to go wrong. Just one, and the older the boat and the worse the conditions and the likelihood of that one thing going wrong skyrockets.

Judgement, and common sense. Lacking.

patrol50
17-01-2016, 10:47 AM
well i dont know i must have read a different thread for as i recall it no one suggested the guy go over on friday night and frankly anyone who was out there on friday night in those high wind speeds was a bit silly or maybe just too confident but then again all those rescues were when a boat had a problem with engine failures, yacht gear failure etc no reports of any rescues where the boat was ok and of adequate size for the conditions

many (including me yep) said if you have to go (but best not too ) suggested saturday morning could be ok if the winds were a bit lighter and they were - and as a reference "That said it is much more still this morning" were the words used in the press release on saturday morning

so in summary Friday night was a no dont go and as i recall no one said to go then - saturday morning probably ok if you must go which is the question he asked - but definitely still far more comfortable on the micat which is what he did quite sensibly and i would have done the same

Moonlighter
17-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Saturday morning the wind on the Bay was just as bad!

The wind had blown a gale all night, giving the seas time to build up even more than they would have been on Friday night. This was as per the wind predictions for the Bay in advance, and was actually what happened.

These are factors that experienced boaters understand, take into account, and make their judgements accordingly.

Probably the main reasons for the rescues on Friday night were people who went out when conditions were ok and got caught out, again showing a lack of judgement and preparation and situational awareness. The lack of reported rescues on Saturday were likely due to any responsibe person not putting to sea in open waters that day, as was also recommended by the Water Police.

patrol50
17-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Saturday morning the wind on the Bay was just as bad!

The wind had blown a gale all night, giving the seas time to build up even more than they would have been on Friday night. This was as per the wind predictions for the Bay in advance, and was actually what happened.

These are factors that experienced boaters understand, take into account, and make their judgements accordingly.

Probably the main reasons for the rescues on Friday night were people who went out when conditions were ok and got caught out, again showing a lack of judgement and preparation and situational awareness. The lack of reported rescues on Saturday were likely due to any responsibe person not putting to sea in open waters that day, as was also recommended by the Water Police.

no it wasnt actually it had dropped back to around 20 / 25 knots from 30 / 35 up - i checked sea breeze - yep still rough still unpleasant and still not what i would set out in in these days ( bit of a whimp nowdays as dont like being pounded ) but not that dangerous imho in a decent set up boat of that size with reliable outboard on a run out tide - but still a very bumpy and very slow trip and definitely no fun at all hence my option would have been to sit on micat and have a can or two ( of coke of course) and thats what he did

Moonlighter
17-01-2016, 11:21 AM
So, a small lull wind drops to 25 knots for an hour on Saturday morning, mostly in the norhern Bay, but you take no account of the fact it has blown 30-35 knots all night? Seriously?

You can keep trying to cherry pick one factor for criticism and try to justify your position, go for your life.

I am not going to debate you any more.

v

v

v

patrol50
17-01-2016, 11:31 AM
So, a small lull wind drops to 25 knots for an hour on Saturday morning, mostly in the norhern Bay, but you take no account of the fact it has blown 30-35 knots all night? Seriously?

You can keep trying to cherry pick one factor for criticism and try to justify your position, go for your life.

I am not going to debate you any more.

v

v

v

well happy to call it a draw as you have your view i have mine - a few years back i would have done that run over to moreton on the saturday morning in those condition if i had had to - but nowdays i wouldnt bother - not because it was dangerous imho but simply because it would have been bloody uncomfotable very wet and very tiring and taken forever to get there

Almako
17-01-2016, 12:46 PM
It is clearly not a draw. The fact is that we are talking about the same predicted weather pattern; a strong southerly change for this weekends boating. Our comments to not go were backed up by the fact that 4 rescues were undertaken on Friday night. This in it's self is evidence that a journey to Moreton Island in a small craft wether it be Friday night or Saturday morning would be an irresponsible act.

It is one thing to get caught out there in an unpredicted strong wind and make a run home, than it is to ignore the forecast and head straight out into it.

In addition the location of these rescues. Mud island and the mud bank out from Lota is far more protected than the western side of Moreton which is completely exposed to a southerly (and a westerly).

Now for those of you who are new to boating here is an excellent ready-reconner, the Beaufort scale.

patrol50
17-01-2016, 01:14 PM
actually i just cant be bothered
cheers

TheRealAndy
17-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Not sure why everyone is getting worked up. The conditions were shit, no boat owner in their right mind would choose to be out there.

I just thought it was a bit rich saying it was outright dangerous given the OP's boat. The truth is it was just outright a shit place to be in general.

Regarding the other incidents, well its all speculation. but given the lack of information I personally think anyone who would set out in kayak, FFS, what do you expect. And the yacht, well I have been towed in in lesser conditions in my yacht with engine failure (yachts and engines do not co-operate due to lack of regular use). The others, what where they in, what condition was the boat? I have been out there rescuing people in worse conditions in boats that should not in the water period. Dragged skiboats in who leave in flat waters at 7am and wonder why they are sinking at 3pm in the typical 1.5m moreton bay chop. Towed in boats that have engines that should be anchors... The list goes on.

610 made the right decision not to go, and I will never criticise anyone for making the decision no to head out in conditions they are not comfortable with. I dont think anyone here is suggesting that 610 made the wrong call not to go, in fact he made the correct call not to go. I have said here before, if you have to ask the question about conditions then you already have your answer, and answer is to no go.

Almako
17-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Latecomer, refer to posts on page 1&2. Not so late after all.....

Your argument is hypocritical (basically your saying; you go mate but I wouldnt). It provides no evidence to back your opinion and therefore lacks substance.

I am glad you took the time to view my status and yes Cruise craft make an exceptional boat.

By the way I've spent the last two days windsurfing in the bay and it's been absolutely nuts, especially Saturday..

Perhaps '610' would like to comment as to wether he felt leaving the boat at home was a good idea or not? After all that's the question in hand.

TheRealAndy
17-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Latecomer, refer to posts on page 1&2. Not so late after all.....

Your argument is hypocritical (basically your saying; you go mate but I wouldnt). It provides no evidence to back your opinion and therefore lacks substance.

I am glad you took the time to view my status and yes Cruise craft make an exceptional boat.

By the way I've spent the last two days windsurfing in the bay and it's been absolutely nuts, especially Saturday..

Perhaps '610' would like to comment as to wether he felt leaving the boat at home was a good idea or not? After all that's the question in hand.

Not sure if you are having a go at me, but I think you will find that in both my posts in page 1 and 2 that I said I would not go. And thats after I have dragged sorry arses out of the water in lesser conditions.

Almako
17-01-2016, 08:01 PM
No mate not at you, it was directed at patrol50 but he has removed his post.

18-01-2016, 05:32 AM
The conditions on Saturday were pretty crap to say the least. One boat did follow the barge over and did it seemingly quite easy tucked in behind the barge. If I had of gone without the barge I think I would have made it safely (battered and bruised) provided I had no mechanical problems , but if the motor broke down in those conditions I would have been in some serious trouble I believe. I am more than happy with my decision to catch the barge and given the opportunity again I would make the same decision.

ShaneC
18-01-2016, 06:06 PM
I took the kids out in it on the ski biscuit. Was piss funny....