PDA

View Full Version : Paintng Ali Boat - Couple More Questions

ryangler
13-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Im about to paint my boat using the Wattyl System (PR250 Etch Primer, UC230 High Build Primer and Poly U400 2k Top Coat) and have a couple questions that I havnt found the answers too in previous threads.

- I live in a remote town so need to order the paint in and I'm trying to calculate the amount required of each colour. The product sheet says coverage of 9.8m2 per liter for the Poly U400, Assuming the average thinning rate of 20% this would make 6L of paint per 5L kit (4L Part A & 1L Part B). How many coats of Poly U should I allow for?

- Same question as above with the UC230 high build primer, how many coats should I allow for?

- Im assuming you only apply 1 coat of etch primer?

- Can people recommend an appropriate respirator and disposable cartridges to spray 2k. Ive found some old threads but the links to the products are discontinued.

Thanks

ozynorts
14-01-2016, 09:30 PM
What size boat are you painting? Are you just doing the sides or the bottom and transom as well?

ryangler
15-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Its a 2004 7.3m Assassin im doing sides, transom and cab then shooting U-Pol Raptor liner that i've tinted to a light sky blue on the deck, hardtop roof and tops of gun whales.

Noelm
15-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I guess the only way to estimate is to measure as best you can in square metres, then allow some margin for waste and the manufacturers stretching the coverage, perhaps an extra 10 percent? Maybe a bit more if you want to keep some for touch up/repairs..

ozynorts
15-01-2016, 12:55 PM
I recently painted a 4.2m boat with Wattyl. That included the entire hull, sides and transom. I was able to do it with 1 x 4lt kit of UC230 and Poly U400 and that was 3 coats of each. There wasn't any paint left at the end.
As Noelm has said I would try to calculate the Sqm and go from there but at a guess I would think you will need 2 of the kits. In your situation it will be far easier to have too much paint than not enough but I understand the predicament as the paint ain't cheap.

mitc69
15-01-2016, 12:58 PM
if your spraying u want a full mask :) otherwise good old meth and 10L of 2 poly paint, 2 coat on side and 3 on top and transom works pretty well, you'll tear and wear with usage

gazza2006au
15-01-2016, 03:37 PM
pretty sure 2k marine paint is a carcinogen mate u need the whole respirator kit not just a basic mask and she'll be right u need the whole suit with the full face mask and its own air supply pricey shit but its either that or your life

alot of people spray 2k in there back yard i just warned my mates who done there boat, u need to think about the over spray sitting on dust and walls and crap that will kick up at a later date and u, your wife or most importantly your kids casually walking past breathing it in

paint wisely mate

Seahorse
15-01-2016, 09:19 PM
You will need at least a sunstrom mask.
i got a good mate that sprays boats. Something that size prob around $10000 and thats faired, 2 pack epoxy primed and 2 pack top coat, choice of colour in top of range marine refinish.
Extremely professional job, first class work.
inside and out.

ryangler
16-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Cheers guys I ended up ordering the below which should be plenty

White Part A 8 Litres
White Part B 2 Litres
Black Part A 4 Litres
Black Part B 1 Litres
Paradise Blue Part A 8 Litres
Paradise Blue Part B 2 Litres
UC230 Part A 8 Litres
UC230 Part B 2 Litres
PR250 Part A 4 Litres
PR250 Part B 1 Litres
Thinners 767 Primer 4 Litres
Thinners 707 Colour 8 Litres

It came to $1250 inc gst

Im spraying in a mates empty lay down space in a light industrial area and using a 3m 7500 series half face respirator with 6051 organic vapor cartridges & 5935 particulate filters, goggles and Tyvek coveralls.