PDA

View Full Version : Splitting deck from hull

McKnight
09-01-2016, 03:15 PM
This has probably been asked thousands of times to varying degrees, I haven't found anything that explains it well enough for me. I want to split the deck from the hull along the gunwale. My boat is a 17ft runabout The deck needs re-enforcing while the hull needs floor stringers and transom.

The deck is stapled to the hull along the gunwale, what is the best method of removing the staples and then splitting the two halves without to much damager?

mitc69
09-01-2016, 04:56 PM
if it aluminum boat, i would just use a proplane to cut it out then wield back together but that just me been lazy lol

Moonlighter
09-01-2016, 05:09 PM
if it aluminum boat, i would just use a proplane to cut it out then wield back together but that just me been lazy lol

An aluminium boat where the deck is stapled to the hull?? And the hull needs new stringers!????

You ARE taking the piss, right?

Fish Face
09-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Best way for mine would be to get a fine metal cutting disc and carefully cut midway through the flange. Horizontally of course.
May have to do it inside and out. Wear goggles... FF

tomo
09-01-2016, 06:37 PM
do you need to take all of deck off or enough to give room to work on transom

Noelm
09-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Just use some wedges, and move them along the join, bit by bit.

McKnight
10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Just use some wedges, and move them along the join, bit by bit.

The only thing with this is the staples seem fairly heavy gauge and are more likely to rip through the bottom flange. I have to remove the bog that held the old rubber on so I will just take the top of the staples off as I go and once its separated it will be easier getting the legs out.

Noelm
10-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Yes correct, the staples will either pull through, or straighten, best to remove them one by one, then just wedge it, as mentioned, do you want/need to remove the whole deck? the hull will be quite "wobbly" with the deck removed, so make sure you have a way to hold it all in shape when cutting bits out!

McKnight
10-01-2016, 08:17 PM
I want to remove the whole deck as the fore deck needs structural work and the moment it's virtually a skin an prone to cracking. the timber behind the dash is mush and would be do able up-side down but the fore deck probably wouldn't support it in it's current state. I want to re-enforce along the length of the gunwale on both sides. I'm also looking at reclaiming part of the splash well for live bait tanks and other storage. That will wait until both halves are back together.

As I go round with the flappy disc on the grinder removing the old bog from the gunwale rubber I'll remove the tops of the staples so the will essentially be just pins which will stay behind as the top comes off, once the deck comes of I can remove each leg of the staples separately.

As for support there is only timber bunks underneath to stop the hull from bellying out. Should I have something supporting the gunwale flange on the hull to keep it in shape? The transom skin wont be removed at all.