PDA

View Full Version : re - A new 15 hp LS outboard Parson or ?

patrol50
03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
ok interested to hear of any genuine first hand experience with the smaller parson 2 strokes particularly the parson 15 hp ob - looking to get a lightish weight new ( ok maybe near new ) LS OB 15 hp for my 3.7 m bermuda vee punt and am retired now and not getting any younger so lightish weight is important ( hence not a 4s ) and the dollars are tighter than they used to be (hence the interest in the parson) :o

cheers rob

Spaniard_King
03-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Don't bother with the chinese stuff just go a yammy 15HP, you wont regret it if you intend to keep it for a few years. What ever you get make sure the gearbox is removed and all bolts greased within the first few years

patrol50
03-01-2016, 06:05 PM
no worries garry and sound advice as always
cheers mate

Noelm
03-01-2016, 06:37 PM
There's a 15 for sale in the classifieds, a Mercury long shaft.

beerhunter
03-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Problem with 15 yammies is everyone steals them. Lucky I've only had 2 flogged hey [emoji20]

Dogtoooth
03-01-2016, 10:24 PM
F&B magazine rated the 15 Yamaha 2 stroke best in it's class and proffered the Yamaha 2 stroke over the Yamaha 15 4 stroke after fuel and engine tests. Light, powerful, and very good on fuel.

rayken1938
04-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Something else to consider this from Redlands times 15/12/15.
http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/3A7XZUYkQMtPbFHsecsYDWq/3630e725-be8a-43fa-9ee6-bb37ea813da4.JPG/r0_305_3264_2140_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
CHRISTMAS may be the last chance to buy small, two-stroke engines such as chain saws or outboards after an agreement was struck at the Paris Climate Change Conference banning the engines next year.
State and federal governments gave the green light to petrol engine emissions standards for non-road spark-ignition motors.
The move brings Australia in line with the US which leads the world in emissions standards for small petrol equipment including lawn mowers, outboards, chain saws and generators.
Ministers made an “in principle” agreement which started the ball rolling with a Working Group formed of industry, government and community representatives who will advise how to implement standards for Australia. That report is due before January 1.
Blue Sky Alliance and member of the Working Group Gary Fooks said it was likely the legislation would be introduced before July.
“These laws are not an attack on any one technology. We will still have quality hand-held products like STIHL and Husqvarna chainsaws, and of course direct-injection two-stroke outboards like E-TEC," he said.
"Four strokes will be the more common engine type in future especially for lawn mowers and generators.”
Any phase in is likely to be limited. Existing dealer stock gets exempted as the laws should only apply to new imports. And of course no law will ban what the public already has in the garage.

Tweet (http://twitter.com/share)

Cheers
Ray

gazza2006au
04-01-2016, 10:21 PM
really cant see how any of the chinese outboard dealers are in business in Australia, take a look at it the Tohatsu 18hp for an example sells for around $2000 when i purchased one and a chinese 15hp is around $1700-$1800 why on earth would u spend money on something inferior

it goes for a lot of the chinese range they are only a fraction cheaper than the big names

i would spend the bux mate whats $200? u know the big brand names will have every part u need instock at maximum 3 weeks on spares

big brand names u get longer warranty

dont ask about the chinese resale value you'll kick your self

noticed i never said which chinese manufacturers so gary cant sue me for rubbishing these engines

billfisher
05-01-2016, 07:05 AM
really cant see how any of the chinese outboard dealers are in business in Australia, take a look at it the Tohatsu 18hp for an example sells for around $2000 when i purchased one and a chinese 15hp is around $1700-$1800 why on earth would u spend money on something inferior

it goes for a lot of the chinese range they are only a fraction cheaper than the big names

i would spend the bux mate whats $200? u know the big brand names will have every part u need instock at maximum 3 weeks on spares

noticed i never said which chinese manufacturers so gary cant sue me for rubbishing these engines

That's funny as it took more than a month to get parts for my Tohatsu!

patrol50
05-01-2016, 08:33 AM

mate thanks for the opinion but i have seen some of your previous comments ;) and i think you may have a slight bias going on there - but yea ok i think the chinese stuff is perhaps a bit close in price now to the older established brands to take any extra risk to save a few bucks so i will stick to the name brands again - and yea they big names usually have a reasonable stock of the quicker moving spares but need something a bit out of the ordinary and you will wait for it no matter what the brand name

just for the record my 60 hp merc 4s elpt efi big foot on the quin says "made in china" :o on it on a very small sticker and so an awful lot of pretty ok gear is now made there and so far so good

cheers

BUT HEY STILL INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM AMYONE WHO ACTUALLY OWNS AND HAS OR IS USING A PARSON OB JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY - THEY DO SEEM TO BE A PRETTY RARE FISH ::)

rayken1938
05-01-2016, 09:49 AM
The tohey is well priced but a yammy is nearly 1k more expensive. you will also to check the weights thoroughly as some only quote the weight of a short shaft manual.
The chinese motors seem to becoming more established with places like BCF selling them and I think that telwater now offering them as a package with quintrex
I can remember similar remarks being made about quality and reliability being made when the Japanese motors first came to australia.
cheers
ray

Khunaus
05-01-2016, 09:56 AM
My uncle has owned both Parson and Maxus 2 stroke's. Recently upgraded to the maxus (40hp). No problems with either so i am told, and he only changed due to wanted more features such as elec start which he did not have on the other motor. He could of changed Parson models but Maxus was at a better price for him at the time.

Both of these are (as far as I am told) the same as the old yamaha 2 stroke motors in design with 90%+ of parts being interchangeable.

Cheers

aussiebasser
05-01-2016, 11:52 AM
I have owned a few Merc 15hp US motors and would recommend them to anyone. Single handed gear shift/throttle, single handed shallow water drive, easy to start mine never gave me any issues, in fact the last one I had lay in the shed for over two years, got strapped to a pallet and shipped to Victoria where my nephew took it off the pallet, hooked up a fuel line and started it on the second or third pull. It's still going strong.

gazza2006au
06-01-2016, 04:27 PM
few good pointers there guys but let me say you'll have a major shit fight getting parts all i wanted for my MAXUS same powerhead as PARSUN was a gasket kit, one exhaust valve and one valve guide, how hard could that be? lets not go there.....

all these chinese rubbish engines your buying brand new paying a few dollars less for something based on a YAMAHA model from 10 years ago so basically your buying a 10 year old brand new motor for almost the cost of a brand name outboard, feel raped? so u should

i know for a fact the powerhead on the 4hp 4 stroke MAXUS is based on the 2006 and earlier yamaha 5hp 4 stroke my cylinder head look 98.9% idenentical just the chinese are lazy with machining so they leave bits on here and there or maybe thats to avoid copy right laws? i donno...

these motors are being flogged off by big sporting shops because they have the customer base i would really hate to see someone walk in and ask for some engine rebuild parts, its still early days since BCF started stocking the chinese outboards so will see how they go when warranty runs out

your MERCURY may say "made in china" so do my undies :o:D but thereunder my supervision just like MERCURY is from JAPAN headquaters ;D

VictorOscar
06-01-2016, 05:17 PM
I recall reading that Mercury owns their factory in China - so whilst some models are built there, they are still built by Mercury and not a third party.

Patrol50 if you wanted to save some money on the outboard you might like to consider a secondhand motor?

Between me and my mates, we have owned 2 strokes made by Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki and Tohatsu and found them all to be extremely reliable.

You should be able to pick up a second hand one in good condition.

Just be sure it has full service records etc. and have it checked over - being a portable motor, the risk of them being dropped does increase :P

Spaniard_King
08-01-2016, 12:35 PM
I recall reading that Mercury owns their factory in China - so whilst some models are built there, they are still built by Mercury and not a third party.

Patrol50 if you wanted to save some money on the outboard you might like to consider a secondhand motor?

Between me and my mates, we have owned 2 strokes made by Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki and Tohatsu and found them all to be extremely reliable.

You should be able to pick up a second hand one in good condition.

Just be sure it has full service records etc. and have it checked over - being a portable motor, the risk of them being dropped does increase :P

%90 of the 15HP and below engines I see have little or no service history... usually drive it until it breaks... then oh it needs a service::)

davo
13-01-2016, 09:12 PM
I don't know why anyone would buy a Parsun. The price difference is nothing. A 18HP Tohatsu costs $1800. Only $50 more than the Chinese offering.

aussiebasser
14-01-2016, 09:31 AM
This is an awesome buy.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/dbtclassifieds.php?do=listing&action=viewlisting&listingid=120

patrol50
14-01-2016, 11:38 AM
This is an awesome buy.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/dbtclassifieds.php?do=listing&action=viewlisting&listingid=120

well maybe "the little voices in my head " should tell you to buy it at that high price then ;D

i think if one was going to pay that for a second hand ob of indeterminate use maybe just buy a new one with warranty for a couple of hundred more - hey ::)

cheers

aussiebasser
14-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't need another Merc mate. I just gave my 15 to my nephew and I've still got two. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Sorry if I've offended you in any way. Enjoy your Parson.

patrol50
14-01-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't need another Merc mate. I just gave my 15 to my nephew and I've still got two. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Sorry if I've offended you in any way. Enjoy your Parson.

no offense meant or taken young fella ;D - its an open forum and everyone can express their view - and yes thanks i had seen the ad for that unit which is probably a pretty good unit - but i think i will stick with one of the name brands and just buy a new unit as hey its only money and so just wont eat out or drink wine for a week or three :'( - just not sure which one yet be it - yamaha, mercury (us made ), suzuki or tohatsu - lightest weight and best price will most likely control that decision

cheers

aussiebasser
14-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Don't discount the benefits of the one handed operation of the Merc.

Fillet`n`Release
15-01-2016, 01:17 AM
Wasn't aware my motor was of indeterminate use. I know it's use, and I think I illustrated in the ad that I'm happy to go over anything with genuine interested parties. I live on the canals and can even do an on water test if needs be.

My price is a starting point, I know that new 15hp USA model Mercs are low to mid $2k range depending on shaft, and that the Jap version is under $2k but that's the trade off. Not that you made an offer, you said you'd get back to me :)

All things considered I wouldn't compare a new Parsun to my motor (or any motor in similar condition, these little 2str Mercs are almost indestructible). I wouldn't feel good about the warranty you get with the Parsun cause it just means for the next X years you're likely to need it. Paying a couple of hundred more dollars for a new unproven cheap motor isn't really apples to apples. Davo even suggested a Tohatsu, that was on my shortlist when I got my Merc but still a better option than Parsun and the likes.

I don't have to sell my motor, but an opportunity to upgrade to a 4str came up so it makes sense to not let this one sit idle in the garage collecting dust. It will go to a happy home one way or another in time.

In any case, all the best with whatever you decide to do.

patrol50
15-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Wasn't aware my motor was of indeterminate use. I know it's use, and I think I illustrated in the ad that I'm happy to go over anything with genuine interested parties. I live on the canals and can even do an on water test if needs be.

My price is a starting point, I know that new 15hp USA model Mercs are low to mid $2k range depending on shaft, and that the Jap version is under $2k but that's the trade off. Not that you made an offer, you said you'd get back to me :)

All things considered I wouldn't compare a new Parsun to my motor (or any motor in similar condition, these little 2str Mercs are almost indestructible). I wouldn't feel good about the warranty you get with the Parsun cause it just means for the next X years you're likely to need it. Paying a couple of hundred more dollars for a new unproven cheap motor isn't really apples to apples. Davo even suggested a Tohatsu, that was on my shortlist when I got my Merc but still a better option than Parsun and the likes.

I don't have to sell my motor, but an opportunity to upgrade to a 4str came up so it makes sense to not let this one sit idle in the garage collecting dust. It will go to a happy home one way or another in time.

In any case, all the best with whatever you decide to do.

hmm well i wasnt actually attacking your ob condition or your credibility mate and had not totally ruled it out by any means although i thought the asking price was perhaps little high for me when compared to the price of a new unit but just hadnt had a chance to get up to bribie to check it out yet - and if you recall i did say in my comments to one post - "thanks and i had seen the ad for that unit which is probably a pretty good unit " however i am yet to see an hour meter on a 15 hp unit hence the comment indeterminate use and that applies allegedly not only for your ob but for all small portable ob's as none have hour meters to the best of my current knowledge

my apology for any offense taken by you - none was meant in that general discussion but i am always just a little wary when someone completely unknown to me jumps in and suddenly tells me something second hand for sale is an "awesome buy" ::)

cheers and best
rob

ps had pretty much ruled a parson out anyway and it was really just a polite inquiry to see if anyone had had a good run with one and i have a high regard for garry's advice ( Spaniard king ) and he suggested just go yamaha - however its interesting no one who actually is using one (a parson ) has replied to this thread as i would have liked to have seen that feedback from a real deal current user just out of interest

mr_boats
02-02-2016, 02:07 PM
G'Day Patrol
Nice thread you have started. It's a shame the only comments placed on here were by people who have never bought or used a Parsun.
Try this is a very interesting read below:

http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG339_prev.pdf

It's an old article now, but Australian boat mags were very keen to see how well the Parsun motors were going after the first 3 years. So they tracked down commercial users of Parsun and interviewed them.
Theres been several comments on concerns with warranties. I'm 100% sure if we didnt look after our customers when things do go wrong it would be all over the internet.
I've personally worked with all major brands before becoming a outboard distributor myself. I've refined warranty proceedures to suit the customers not the suppliers. We have a strict 7 day turn around once we get a warranty claim. Sometimes we go outside this margin due to other factors. But we strive to keep within this time frame.
Happy boating everyone
Garry from Parsun

patrol50
03-02-2016, 11:25 AM
thanks for the reply gary and yes i had read the aus boat mag by peter webster article in the past and its is a solid enough report in the parsons favour and is partly why i asked the question on ausfish - and as you say its always easy to beat up a product when its your brothers best mates nephew that had the warranty or breakdown problem not you

just a bit interesting thou that no one who has a parson has replied on the thread i guess - so perhaps not that many out there or perhaps they are all happy with their ob and are out there using it and not reading ausfish

cheers rob