PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Hatch Sagging

diver
02-01-2016, 08:30 PM
111921111922111923The inspection hatch over my fuel tank needs more strength as its sagging. My fibreglass knowledge is limited. I was thinking of using epoxy resin and woven mat to glass some pvc pipe cut in half length wise to add strength. There is about 40mm clearance between the hatch and tank. the hatch is about 1200mm x 400mm.
Any suggestions on how to best add strength .....Thanks Peter

Fish Face
03-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Might just be better to make a new one. 19mm ply, glass both sides and edges and flowcoat.... FF

ozynorts
03-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Fish face's idea is a good one. Just build a new one from scratch. Use some structural ply, epoxy and double bias cloth on both sides. Sand back after epoxy dries to remove the waxy finish and then flowcoat both sides, unless you need a non slip surface, then non slip on the top face.

diver
04-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Fish face's idea is a good one. Just build a new one from scratch. Use some structural ply, epoxy and double bias cloth on both sides. Sand back after epoxy dries to remove the waxy finish and then flowcoat both sides, unless you need a non slip surface, then non slip on the top face.

Yes seems making a new one is the correct approach. I will try reinforcing the lip the lid sits on first with some alloy angle as it seems to flex a bit and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for the advie