PDA

View Full Version : Replace or repair prop?

FINICKY
02-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi guys, my brother managed to find a nice gravel bottom with his prop recently. Would you guys try and bend the blade back into shape and file the edges or replace it to avoid vibration up the drive shaft?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/01/ae70c6c6a7bbd888fedbad643f64299e.jpg

Plastics fantastic but bait is better.

littlejim
02-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Looks like aluminium, I would chuck it.
Have taken dings out of a stainless prop which subsequently worked OK.
However there are probably some prop experts here that will give expert advice.

Moonlighter
02-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I would take it off, find a block of heavy wood to hold it against, and carefully panel beat it back into shape. Ive bent alloy props worse than that and straightened them out satisfactorily.

Or, if you want it done properly (and your brother is paying, right?) then call the prop repair mob in Southport Qld and ask them how much to repair it - they are geniuses there and can turn a almost destroyed prop into something that looks like it just came out of the box. Usually a decent price too. They also sell new props. Highly recommended.

They have an approximate repair price guide on their website:

http://www.propellerrepairsaustralia.com.au

Scott Ashe
02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Steve at Solas propellors will look after you mate. Sunshine Coast Based sorry cant his number.

scottar
02-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Ally props are pretty cheap. Get a price on a new one and take it from there.

FINICKY
03-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Cheers guys.
Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to the bro.

goona
03-01-2016, 01:02 PM
I would look at getting it repaired as it wont be much. The damage isn't that much and being ally wont be that much work. Steve from Solas does an excellent job. Attached are a couple of Photos of my 4 blade stainless one before and after shots. The cost was from memory $130 for the 4 blades. I see you are in Ipswich. I have project I am running up at the sunshine coast at the moment and will be dropping one of my props in over the next few weeks. If you can get the prop to Brisbane (either Bracken Ridge or at my office in Toowong) I can take it up there for you.

Cheers Goona

TruBlue
03-01-2016, 03:38 PM
What's it off mate
I got a prop from a yamaha 60hp 4 stroke sitting in my shed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beerhunter
03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but my first trip out in 6 years today i did this [emoji20] what do you reckon go to solas props? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/48021b25f229b5c5b8b12b1d62527a56.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/7be6fa9ace6704d144431d4e3699c763.jpg

beerhunter
03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/1d0a46f6dca7181d20195d7f141ada1e.jpg

Moonlighter
03-01-2016, 07:33 PM
That's only a flesh wound!

Either solas or propellorrepairs australia at Southport will fix that and have it like new again.

Just an FYI, most boat dealerships around SEQ send customer props needing repair to Southport. Ive used them a couple of times over the years, had a hub replaced on one prop, had a badly bent alloy prop fixed, and a few years ago, bought a second hand stainless Vengeance prop for my Tohatsu which was in ok condition, but sent it off anyway to be recupped and tidied up and came back looking like brand new.

beerhunter
03-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks Moonlighter and do you think they can fix it with the piece missing?

Moonlighter
03-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks Moonlighter and do you think they can fix it with the piece missing?

Yes! I wouldnt think that would be a drama at all. They will have seen far worse that that one.

Look, i seem to recall you're at the Sunshine Coast? Solas is at Mooloolabah, drop around there and show it to them and see what they say. If you can deal with someone local it can be easier and Im sure they can sort it out for you too. Steve at Solas is a guru on props as well.

beerhunter
03-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes! I wouldnt think that would be a drama at all. They will have seen far worse that that one.

Look, i seem to recall youre at the Sunshine Coast? Solas is at Mooloolabah, drop around ther and show it to them and see what they say. If you can deal with someone local it can be easier and Im sure they can sort opif for you too. Steve is a guru on props as well.
Yeah i am at maroochydore so I'll drop in and see him. I wonder if its worth carrying a spare prop i wonder how often they fail and leave you stranded?
Thinking i might see them and grab another prop and use the old repaired one as a spare . Cheers.

Moonlighter
03-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Around SEQ i dont carry a spare.

As far as props failing, the main risks are:

1. The hub bush spinning out - the rubber can get loose and lose grip on the inner hub of the prop. Usually happens on older props. So lots of revs, but little forward movement! Had that happen many years ago on an old Johnson and it had just enough grip to allow us to idle back to the ramp. If we tried to push onto the plane it wouldnt hang on with the extra load, and the engine would just rev!

2. Damage from hitting something. Rock, turtle, log, or something else hard. Again, they can be fairly badly damaged and still get you home ok.

But a mate and i have just set up and refurbed a 1990 Stacer Proline 420 tinny as a river and estuary boat, and we have visions of a trip north, Hinchinbrook, then the Gulf, and maybe NT. I will be getting a spare prop to take away on those trips. Unfamiliar creeks and rivers, lots of rock bars, and the likelihood of us bending or breaking a prop is fairly high so a spare makes good sense. The motor is a 25 Johnno so a spare prop will be cheap to obtain and sensible insurance.

Moejoes
03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
I picked up a nice little dent about the size of half a 10 cent coin half way up 1 blade the last trip I done off Fraser.
Weird, as I don't recall hitting anything and no damage or marks to the other blades.
Was like someone smacked it hard with a length of reo bar.
Managed to panel beat it out and seems Ok now.

scottar
03-01-2016, 08:38 PM
i wonder how often they fail and leave you stranded?

Primarily that is going to depend on how often you repeat today's performance. Spun hubs do happen but even then the prop is usually good for a "slow boat to China" ride home. A mate of mine did this from Tanga's to Wellington point one day - took him 6 hours. He's divorced now, not sure if this was part of it but his missus was NOT happy. Carrying a spare if you are new to an area is not a bad idea - specially with ally. I was with the old man one day in Cobby Creek at Jumpinpin when he clipped the one rock that stands up at high tide far enough to hit - took the blade right off. Yes it would still get you home but once again - "slow boat". We changed props and off we went - day saved. If you are going to get a new one anyway, also check with a couple of wreckers - might be a cheaper way of getting a spare than getting yours fixed.

beerhunter
04-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the advice. There must be a bit of imbalance now do you think it will cause dramas? Boat seems to still go the same maybe a bit of a vibration not sure though.