PDA

View Full Version : cat turned turtle

frosti
28-12-2015, 02:24 PM
not sure on what happened but they were very lucky no one was killed . https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30441486/five-boaties-rescued-off-new-south-wales-south-coast/

Darren J
28-12-2015, 02:41 PM
From a few different news reports I have just read (if you believe them as fact), it was claimed to be a 6 metre boat, started taking on water before it capsized, was in 3m seas and 25k winds.
If it as taking on water first, would be interesting to know the cause. Could be helpful for other people to be aware/warned of the cause.

Any body recognise or know what model the boat was?

fishing111
28-12-2015, 05:47 PM
At least they had a spot to camp on until help arrived out of the water, and not just the nose out of the water like would have happened to these unlucky blokes in SA.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/glenn-bollen-missing-in-rough-seas-after-crayfish-boat-capsizes-off-beachport/news-story/612c6a98b14c7e3804b7b1848107fdc3

gofishin
28-12-2015, 06:45 PM
... Any body recognise or know what model the boat was?Although there is not much to go on from the pic, to me it looks like a Dom from the shape and lines of the hull foot we can see... but I would like to see a lot more of the hull before putting any money on it!

Regardless of what brand it is, the reason for the capsize is that it started taking on water... it seems. Any boat or cat can get into problems in that case, the water is supposed to be on the outside :).
Cheers
Brendon

gofishin
28-12-2015, 06:51 PM
At least they had a spot to camp on until help arrived out of the water, and not just the nose out of the water like would have happened to these unlucky blokes in SA....That boat is a little easier to identify :) . The bow eye is pretty strong too!

FisHard
28-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Is that a Bar Crusher?

gofishin
28-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Is that a Bar Crusher?Looks like one to me, if not, the original BC from over the Tasman.

rexaway123
29-12-2015, 06:08 AM
glad the guys ok...lucky...but the conditions looked dead calm during rescue? unless they were floating from night before in rough conditions? something not right

sowden1942
29-12-2015, 11:55 AM
The dead calm look could be caused by the chopper down wash as they hover over the boat to carry out the winching.

Flex
30-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Surprisingly a lot of boat accidents aren't caused by bad weather. More often by a fault within the boat that causes an issue.

Often it's a engine bolt hole or slight crack letting in water and engulfing the boat.

Example, a lot of kevlacats have tiny holes in bottom of bulkheads.not air tight like most believe. So all it would take is pod bolt or through hull transducer to come loose and all of a sudden you've sunk your boat in glass conditions.

beerhunter
30-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I saw a trail craft i think it was once up in the kimberley heading back to Wyndham sink once. It was on the plane and when he backed off it just nose dived and went over. Turns out the hull cracked and the water was in the sealed section under the floor and nobody knew it was there.

LittleSkipper
30-12-2015, 12:58 PM
This is the bloody reason why it should be mandatory to wear life jackets at all times.

Just like we wear seat belts in our cars at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottar
30-12-2015, 01:13 PM
This is the bloody reason why it should be mandatory to wear life jackets at all times.

Just like we wear seat belts in our cars at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A life jacket will not help you if you are trapped in an upturned hull. In fact it does quite the opposite.

I saw a trail craft i think it was once up in the kimberley heading back to Wyndham sink once. It was on the plane and when he backed off it just nose dived and went over. Turns out the hull cracked and the water was in the sealed section under the floor and nobody knew it was there.

This would have in part been caused by a phenomenon is known as free surface effect - something professional masters have to take into account when loading plans and stability calculations are done. As the water/fuel/whatever shifts it induces a center of gravity change that if sufficient will put you on your lid - much the same as a shifting load in a truck.

fishing111
30-12-2015, 01:21 PM
I think life jackets should be supplementary to the bloody boat not sinking. I can't believe boats can be sold that will sink like bloody stones or be a bloody big tease with just the bow sticking out of the water. If you had the option of spending $600 odd on a EPIRB or fix your boats up to a standard where they can't sink, I wonder what people would choose? Me i'd spend the money on foam and keep the the old analogue epirb if given the choice.