PDA

View Full Version : Optimax 125 not running on all cylinders

SHOOTER1
27-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Took the boat out yesterday and on the way back engine would not rev over 2500rpm. Running very rough. Drained bowl on filter still not good. So bracing myself for a 10kphr 40 k trip home (might as well troll} after about 1/2 an hour motor kick in and ran sweet. Then after 10 minutes went back to the 10klmh speed again. Got back to the ramp just on dark. Think it could be a faulty coil? Looked up on net and it is recommended that all coils be replaced. Motor has another year on warranty. Any thoughts re replacing all coils or just 1 that';s if it is a coil.Also any ideas on how i can test the coils?

Noelm
27-12-2015, 07:50 AM
If its still under warranty, why bother testing coils? Simply take it back and get it fixed.

SHOOTER1
27-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Hi Noelm Thanks for response. But I would like to go fishing over the break. Sometimes up here it is a 3 week wait to get the dealer to even look at the boat.

TruBlue
27-12-2015, 08:30 AM
You play with it and there goes your warranty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GBC
27-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Any alarms? Have you got smartcraft gauges? Sounds like limp home. The opti will usually tell you why with the alarm sequence.

BM
27-12-2015, 10:00 AM
If you can get the fault to reoccur I would use a timing light on each plug lead one after the other and see which cylinders aren't firing. It's more likely to be a power pack type issue. Unlikely for multiple cdm's to die simultaneously.

oldie
27-12-2015, 10:13 AM
pretty common fault is the coils on these models in last 5 years causing motor to go into limp mode

Noelm
27-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Should be pretty simple to remove the plugs, see which one is different to the rest ( and if you have no spark, it will be different) then compare to the other coils.

SHOOTER1
27-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Any alarms? Have you got smartcraft gauges? Sounds like limp home. The opti will usually tell you why with the alarm sequence.
Was a limp home 4 hrs no alarms on the Smart Gauges. Limp simply because 1 cylinder not firing. I wonder if any long term damage?

Noelm
27-12-2015, 04:02 PM
I think it might be prudent to dispell the "limp" business, the motor goes into a low RPM mode to continue to alert you that it's sick and/or dieing, it assumes some sort of alarm activated and you ignored it too, it is NOT a get home slow option, be very clear about that, in case of over heat, no oil or some other terminal issue, "limping" home will kill your motor.

SHOOTER1
27-12-2015, 04:14 PM
I think it might be prudent to dispell the "limp" business, the motor goes into a low RPM mode to continue to alert you that it's sick and/or dieing, it assumes some sort of alarm activated and you ignored it too, it is NOT a get home slow option, be very clear about that, in case of over heat, no oil or some other terminal issue, "limping" home will kill your motor.
Thanks for despeling the limp thing but repeat no alarms motor was simply not firing on all cylinders. No fault on gauges. Have just gone through some fault finding, no spark on Top cylinder (swapped out plug to rule that out) so assume it is a coil. Looks like it is a trip to the dealer.
Thanks everyone for your input.

scottar
27-12-2015, 04:15 PM
If there was no alarm event it would be quite probable that it wasn't "limp home" either - just running like crap due to whatever the fault is. If the motor was smart enough to put itself into "limp mode", chances are it would have known there was a problem prior and flagged an alarm. If it was not firing on one or more cylinders I would assume that those plugs should be wet with fuel. As another possibility - anyone know what happens if the fuel pressure isn't up to spec on an Opti ??

SHOOTER1
27-12-2015, 04:18 PM
If there was no alarm event it would be quite probable that it wasn't "limp home" either - just running like crap due to whatever the fault is. If the motor was smart enough to put itself into "limp mode", chances are it would have known there was a problem prior and flagged an alarm. If it was not firing on one or more cylinders I would assume that those plugs should be wet with fuel. As another possibility - anyone know what happens if the fuel pressure isn't up to spec on an Opti ??
Smart gauges showed good fuel pressure.

reelally
27-12-2015, 04:30 PM
I owned a 2010 75hp Opti that consumed all 3 coils just sitting in the yard. I discovered the first coil when I lost hole shot power and the engine started blowing blue smoke. Easily fixed however if the engine is out of warranty get the wallet ready for a bashing. I'd recommend Brisbane marine however I think they are shut over the holidays, maybe try Cunningham marine centre.