PDA

View Full Version : Think ive stuff something - now no accessories, and no cranking.

newbienewb
26-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

So i think if stuffed up.

This morning i was in the boat, trying to troubleshoot a charging issue i have. I was checking the screws that go into the back of the 60 AMP fuse inline from the alternator, when i accidentally shorted the positive from the alternator, with the negative terminal on the merthacode. The engine was not running at the time.

How i have nothing. When i turn the key, i get no accessories. No dash beeps, and no cranking at all.

Everything that runs from the house batteries still works fine (fridges, lights etc).

Ive checked the main kill switch, ive checked the puch style 60 amp fuse just under the merthacode. Ive checked the battery still has full charge.

My next step it to start tracing things back, but hoping someone might be able to help out with a few ideas before i start pulling things apart.????

Im just hoping i havent fried something. Im terrified ive stuffed the PCM.

Im also not ever sure of what the merthacode does?. Is it possible this may be causing my issue?

Heres hoping nothing serious.

Many thanks

Dave

Noelm
26-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Chances are you have just blown a fuse somewhere, or fried a connector that might still look OK, no idea what a merthacode is!

newbienewb
26-12-2015, 01:13 PM
hi noel,

I have been doing a bit of reading on the merthacode, and it seems as though it is a device that provides current to anodes on the sterndrive. Or something of a similar nature.

I am hopefull that its just a fuse, however i cant find any other fuses that it could be,

Reaching out to any other cruisemaster 700 owners (brett! :)) to see if they may have any ideas about where any hidden fuses might be.

Dave

brett62
26-12-2015, 02:20 PM
hi noel,

I have been doing a bit of reading on the merthacode, and it seems as though it is a device that provides current to anodes on the sterndrive. Or something of a similar nature.

I am hopefull that its just a fuse, however i cant find any other fuses that it could be,

Reaching out to any other cruisemaster 700 owners (brett! :)) to see if they may have any ideas about where any hidden fuses might be.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes that is for electrolysis.

Ok my set up is a fuse on the main power to the starter motor I then have a fuse block under the lift up panel at the rear storage pocket. You will also have a fuse for the instruments and ignition in the main harness. This will more than likely be your problem. It should be down towards the engine. Follow your main wiring harness back from the engine. You sound like you have a multi meter so should be easy to track down.

newbienewb
26-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Brett, and a merry xmas to you.

Would there be any possibility of posting a few photos of the fuses you are talking about?. I'm a little confused as to where you are talking about?

The only fuses I know of in my boat are the push reset fuse on top of the motor (I think it's a push reset 60amp), and then a fuse block under a flap on the starboard side near the helm.

I also have a main power switch again on the starboard side almost right near where the walk through entry is at the rear of the boat. There is a fuse in this wiring which is still ok.

I'm not sure where any other fuses are.

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett62
26-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks Brett, and a merry xmas to you.

Would there be any possibility of posting a few photos of the fuses you are talking about?. I'm a little confused as to where you are talking about?

The only fuses I know of in my boat are the push reset fuse on top of the motor (I think it's a push reset 60amp), and then a fuse block under a flap on the starboard side near the helm.

I also have a main power switch again on the starboard side almost right near where the walk through entry is at the rear of the boat. There is a fuse in this wiring which is still ok.

I'm not sure where any other fuses are.

Cheers

Dave

Dave I would send some photos for you but I completely removed the motor and 3/4 of the electrical wiring from the boat. There should not be any fuses for the main harness up at the fuse board at the helm unless someone has changed the wiring around. There will be a fuse in the harness. There should also be a circuit breaker/fuse to the starter. I can only go on what is set up in my boat and as I said I have pulled most of it out and I am not doing that for a reason (it's crap). I do have a wiring diagram for the harness which I can scan and send to you, the harness is plug and play. You may also pull the instrument panel out and check that someone has not placed a inline fuse behind the dash. You never know what someone has done. Meter up from the instrument panel and ignition back down to the motor to insure you have a circuit. There has to be a fuse in there Dave giving you the problem as you have knocked out the main engine harness. Check you have power coming out from your main fuse. Go right back to the battery and start the checks. One of the fuses I found on my motor was tucked in behind the motor down near the steering and only found it when I was removing the wiring to take the motor out. Worst wiring job I have every come across.

Let me know how you go.

newbienewb
26-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks very much Brett. I'll go back and start troubleshooting. From the ground.

If you might be able to send me the harness diagram it would be much appreciated.

Dave

Flex
26-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Have you got a multimeter and check your wiring up and to the motor from the battery? Did you check the fuse with a meter or by sight?

you could just grab some jumper leads and try to start your motor direct off the battery. See what happens.

Fed
27-12-2015, 12:26 PM
So did you push the red button to reset the circuit breaker?

snatchy
27-12-2015, 05:53 PM
, ive checked the puch style 60 amp fuse just under the merthacode.

Since you mentioned it twice, I thought I would offer a thought.

It sounds very much like the reset fuse on top of your engine

It might not be not the "push reset" style like you mention. The one on my mercruiser has a red "push test" button that is visible. To reset it you need to swing the yellow arm thing back up which cannot be seen from above. You need to be down low and looking horizontally from the port side to see it.

Good luck

newbienewb
28-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Morning all!,

I spent a bit of time yesterday yesterday with the multimeter tracing this from the start, and found the problem.

It turned out to be the 90 AMP starter fuse bolted to the side of the starter. Although the fuse itself had not blown, it was corroded and rusty, thus making hindering contact. Obviously by me mucking around with wires on the back of the motor, i upset it.

Ive ordered a new one, but in the meantime just removed and cleaned it, and all is now good.

Oddly enough, this also seems to have fixed my charging issue.!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Dave

Noelm
28-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Always good to win now and then.