PDA

View Full Version : Reversing camera

bugsytwoshoes
22-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone,I am thinking about getting a reversing camera on my vehicle to back onto the boat trailer. I am in a situation where I cannot move the trailer coupling to the boat I must back the car onto the trailer coupling.I usually do this by myself and I am sick of getting in and out of the car all the time to check how close I am. Would a reversing camera solve my problems?? What type/brand is the best?? What would be the cost of a good brand plus fitting.??

The Woo
22-12-2015, 06:43 AM
My ute came with one and it is awesome. Don't need assistance at all to connect any trailer and can get it right first time, every time.
I'm sure there's a plethora of decent aftermarket options.

Moonlighter
22-12-2015, 07:08 AM
My current car has a revsing camera fitted as standard and last one did too. For doing exactly what you want, they are the best thing since slived bread! You can easily put the towball directly under the coupling. I would never be without one again.

LittleSkipper
22-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone,I am thinking about getting a reversing camera on my vehicle to back onto the boat trailer. I am in a situation where I cannot move the trailer coupling to the boat I must back the car onto the trailer coupling.I usually do this by myself and I am sick of getting in and out of the car all the time to check how close I am. Would a reversing camera solve my problems?? What type/brand is the best?? What would be the cost of a good brand plus fitting.??

Best bet would be to shop around? My supervisor at work had an aftermarket one fitted to his patrol. I'll find out the brand and cost tomorrow for you! I have one factory fitted also, they are a godsend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottar
22-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Same opinions as above. Many and varied options from a cheap $100 system with a self contained display right through to incorporating one into a double din stereo with a screen - various cost but the ones I have just installed in both cars with a 7 inch display, blue tooth for the phone, interface for steering wheel controls, various adapters to avoid cutting most of the factory looming came to $900 each - there were cheaper options with 6 inch screens. This price didn't include cameras as both cars had them already but they are about $100 for a quality camera. Installation as quoted by Autobarn for the replacement stereo option was $250 per car but I did them myself. Installation of one of the cheaper systems would be cheaper I would suspect.

Make sure that regardless of what system you get, the camera is mounted on the centreline of the vehicle with a good view of the tow ball (one of the little things that gives me the shites with the cruiser) as having it offset does make it more difficult to get exactly lined up. There are different types of camera available with different mounts if you are struggling to find a good location

Crunchy
22-12-2015, 08:23 AM
+ 1 dont get it perfect every time but most of the time spot on (Built in camera)

bugsytwoshoes
22-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys , seems like the way to go, I'll go and do some shopping around.

bluefin59
22-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I have one that clips on to the rear view mirror and gives me a great view to the tow ball ,it cost about $200 fitted I wouldn't be without it now . Have a look on eBay they have hundreds of them on there....matt

father
22-12-2015, 11:37 AM
what car you got mate? i got one from carbon car systems and it plugs into the dash for my hilux. Pretty easy install instructions on line.

Watto79
22-12-2015, 12:14 PM
I got one fitted to my ute for this exact reason and also so I don't back over mine or anybody else's little ones at any stage!

Works a treat, best thing I ever did..

Did a bit of research and found that the units where they actually replace your existing rear view mirror with one that contains the monitor built in was the way to go..

I went with that, got it supplied and fitted through Northfield at Nundah for $550 fitted..

ARB and like places also do them however they were considerably more expensive as they are!

They got me as they use an Australian made product/brand and offered a 2 year warranty..

I also recently had an issue with the camera having a fault every now and again, screen flickering a few times rang them up and they were really good replaced the camera which was causing the fault without any hesitation..

Highly recommended, hope that helps in some way..

hainsofast
22-12-2015, 12:32 PM
look on ebay, got one for 65 bucks, easy as to fit too.

tjotter
23-12-2015, 05:38 AM
if you don't get a Camera...
a Couple Mate is an alternative, not as good as a reversing camera, but better than nothing.
http://www.campsmart.net.au/couple-mate-reversing-hitch

Owen
23-12-2015, 05:57 AM
Also worth considering a Garmin GPS with reversing camera capabilities.
Saves having two screens.
In the US the have the 2798 but last time I looked it only on the Dezl here (I want a 7" screen)
Dezl is much more expensive so I'm waiting to see what happens in the new year.
The wireless camera appeals as it's going in a work vehicle

bugsytwoshoes
23-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys for your help will take all that great advice onboard and do some after crissy shopping.

Fed
23-12-2015, 06:42 AM
You could probably make up something like this
http://www.rodrock.com.cn/product-detail-6816768.html
quicker than you could install a camera.

Andy56
23-12-2015, 11:02 AM
I got one fitted to my ute for this exact reason and also so I don't back over mine or anybody else's little ones at any stage!

Works a treat, best thing I ever did..

Did a bit of research and found that the units where they actually replace your existing rear view mirror with one that contains the monitor built in was the way to go..

They got me as they use an Australian made product/brand and offered a 2 year warranty..

Ha ha ha, I bet the label was made in australia. Nothing of this type is made in australia, never has been , never will be. I recently got a camera for my car ( forward facing as it already has a rear one in the GPS unit, newer cars tend to have them already, and the prices were so unbelievably cheap. 1100b =$45 AUD, camera and display. Which means they come out of the factory for $10 a pop, lol.

you can get a whole head unit with radio, dvd, SD, USB ,gps and camera input for $250-400, add a camera for $40. Thats what I did with my old Xtrail. They usually come with loom adapters to fit most cars, just look for a unit for your car model. Add a days labour for a good job. There is lots on info on Youtube.

Chimo
23-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Another vote for the
Couple Mate Reversing HitchHad one for years and they work well and mist and muddy roads don't affect them and neither do they blow fuses etc

Triple
23-12-2015, 12:49 PM
You could probably make up something like this
http://www.rodrock.com.cn/product-detail-6816768.html
quicker than you could install a camera.

I have one similar to this.. $5 and takes about 2 secs to fit and remove when i need it. And can put it on any vehicle that I'm using at the time.

ranmar850
23-12-2015, 01:02 PM
used one for this purpose on my patrol ute for five years, worked a treat. It was a cheapie which eventually died and I haven't replaced it as I worked out another system. But a vg thing to have. Just make sure you mount as close to centreline as you can, as someone else said, does your head in if they are offset too much.

Briannes
23-12-2015, 01:27 PM

can get them for under $100 even around $50 with wireless connections I have one a wireless one dont have to run cables front to back easy to install and works great this is the 3rd one I have installed on several cars for friends search ebay

rayken1938
24-12-2015, 05:15 AM
Some of the wireless ones will interfere with your car radio. I have not bothered installing a torroid to see if it will fix it aw i just turn radio off when reversing up to boat.
Cheers
Ray

scottar
24-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Some of the wireless ones will interfere with your car radio. I have not bothered installing a torroid to see if it will fix it aw i just turn radio off when reversing up to boat.
Cheers
Ray

The cameras themselves can suffer from interference as well - pretty regular occurrence with the ones I fitted to our oldies tow tugs that they switch themselves on when they drive past electricity substations etc. On the whole they work ok though.

newbienewb
28-12-2015, 06:47 AM
I have a reverse camera that i fitted to my L322 range rover. Absolute must for 2 reasons in my book.

1) Makes the reversing job onto the cruisemaster a 20 second job, rather than a 5 minute "in and out of car" job.
2) With three young kids, ive made a call to ensure any car i own has a reverse camera on it. Read too many stories of driveways accidents that could have been avoided with a camera.

And the most awesome part about it, the range rover has airbag suspension from the factory. So i literally reverse up to the trailer, and hit the button to raise the car, and it simply hooks onto the ball and raises the trailer. All i need to do is put the lock down, hook up my electrics, and lift the jockey stand.

Anyway - long story short, +1 for a camera.

seashawgal
29-12-2015, 12:05 AM
I have one that clips onto the mirror in the car got it online about $100 I think. It's pretty good we installed it ourselves. I did have to use some zip ties to make it stick out a bit so that when I tilt the camera down fully it shows the tow ball. Sometimes I actually open the back of the land cruiser doors up and hook a rope around the bottom door leaving it slightly open and tilted down and then I get a perfect view. If you are serious then get a more expensive one they have better resolution screens and better quality cameras, of course they have to be waterproof.