PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis Bighorn for towing the BOAT

ozscott
16-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Hi all,

I put this here and not in the 4wd section because it relates to boating (what's more important than getting the boat safely to and from the ramp...) plus i will get more responses.

I am looking a getting Maxxis Bighorns for doing more rugged offroad trips. I have the Maxxis Bravo 751 which i think are excellent road and milder offroad tyres. I like them for towing because they do not squirm or do anything odd. Towing 2 tonns gives tyres on the car a hard time. Has anyone got the Bighorns who tows heavy that can give me some feedback of their performance when towing?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The-easyrider
16-12-2015, 06:52 AM
I used to run 285 big horns on the patrol and towed a 650 sea legend apart from the torque robbing of the bigger tyres they were ok just a tad noisy. Dragged the boat to Airlie Beach with them on with no issues. Went back to a 265 AT to get a bit better performance.
azza

rtp1984
16-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Hey mate.
I used to run a set on an 80 series cruiser. A bit noisey, but the biggest pain was keeping them balanced.

Be carefull you don't go to big, you will love it off road, but towing on the highway will suck.

Cheers
Rob

Noelm
16-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Big tyres are not the answer for highway towing, might be OK for sand at Fraser maybe, but for the amount of time spent towing "off road" far better to get some quality more standard tyres (in my opinion)

ozscott
16-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks gents. I am looking at keeping the same 245/75/16 LT size thats is on the truck now.

Easyrider did you go back to AT in a smaller size or was it the tread/construction that was an issue with the Bighorns?

Cheers

hazza80
16-12-2015, 08:25 AM
I've got 245/75 16 bighorns on an older (non-common rail) rodeo... tow 1.5t boat and 1.9t caravan the same as when I had ATs. I really like them. Will be putting them on the Challenger (now caravan towing vehicle due to common rail) without a doubt. They're great on the sand too 18-22 psi have been everywhere.
As said before, bit noisier, but not outlandish at that size.

ozscott
16-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks Hazza. That is great feedback. Mine is a Disco 2 4.6 V8 - great tow vehicle but you cannot be silly with the tyre choice for towing.

Cheers

The-easyrider
16-12-2015, 10:09 AM
I went back to an AT in a smaller size for better performance as I don't go extreme off roading any more and now tow a 3 ton van so needed all the grunt I could find, in the end went to a 200 series. I didn't find the tread patten and issue apart from a bit noisy, they were certainly better in the wet the the Kumho ATs I replaced them with.

wirlybird
17-12-2015, 07:10 AM
I find HT's better for towing and also good on the sand. less noise and better fuel economy